Are combi-weapons on seekers a viable option?

Dantay VI

It is what I was thinking :)

Need to look at FOC, to see if you can use a Praetor, Vigilator and Master of Signals in one army.

My army is getting silly big and I can only see the madness continuing...

It is an annoyance. Vigilators are these super sneaky awesome dudes who can get nearly anywhere and then do nothing.

It is almost as if the design team said 'lets shoehorn some alternative deployment in here somewhere'.

In regards to the FoC, this is true. For the moment, the Wolves are 'safe' but certain Rites in the new book for generics which are more appropriate for wolves, may limit consul types.

If I recall vigilators have rules like infiltrate which can be conferred to a unit which is joined to them, so he is handy for getting the seekers where you want them to be in a hurry. Or possibly recon marines?

Almost like teaming up Moritats with destroyers. I get the feeling the Wolves will be fast moving with a slight infantry bias.

Thematically units like seekers would fit that I guess, a bit like head hunters. Elite wolf units tasked with taking out the enemy elites and leaders. Recon marines to do similar. Assault units to swoop in and chop stuff up and breachers/ terminators as a holding unit to keep an enemy in place so other assault units can take them apart. Tacticals well, just use as tacticals I guess.

Until late this year/ early next I will not know, but I will not let it stop my enjoyment of collecting and if some units become obsolete to Wolves they may be a jumping point for allies.

Are some consul types restricted in certain legions?

Going by the HH weekend tournament in the past, the tactical advantage for the Wolves was that they could use their opponents tactical advantage.

I could imagine the Wolves getting "By whatever means necessary"

The only outright restriction is the Salamanders banning of Moritats.

Other Rites of War limit the number of Consuls you can have, otherwise limiting you to a Centurion or Damocles Predator for no reason whatsoever.

*a few years ago, at FW*

"Aha yeah - Salamander's can take inferno pistols instead of plasma"

"Oh wow that sounds sweet, can't wait to try that on a Morit- "

"OH GOD WHAT HAVE WE DONE."

And that kids, is why book 2 was delayed! :P

This question is silly. Combi-weapons are the only reason to bring Seekers, so yes, it's a viable option. tongue.png

Also, the yellow bolded font is very obnoxious.

I'd agree, but it's all of Dantay's posts so I'm used to it and he's a nice chap with some top quality wolves ;)

On topic though - you take Seekers to get Combis at BS5 - 'nuff said.

Worse than melta-pistols would be moritats with hand flamers... templates mean no misses= if he can hurt it the enemy unit takes infinite wounds... it made me sad that a primary salamanders detachment couldn't take a moritat (and he can't begin an allied detachment).

I want to say thanks for all the advice. For someone who rarely games, I appreciate the help& the time you have taken.

If the yellow is difficult what colour would be better?

I tried blue & red but folks complained.

I use the office version with white background.

I do like the thought though of being able to burn away the chaff, and clearing the way for the bigger seeker unit to take out the intende target, although removing chaff is not what seekers are for.

I may still make the combi meltas. I have a squad of tartaros terminator with combi bolters and chainfists, I could "upgrade" them and that gives me 2x5 man terminator hunting packs or a big 10 man unit. As it is, I have  with lightning claws, 5 with combi bolters and pwer weapons, 5 hammer and shields ( give them combi's to make them legal and shields can be rule of cool, or run tem as Fists until Wolves get rules), 5 with mixed combi weapons and fist/ melee weapons and now possibly 10 with dedicated combi weapon and chain fists.

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20160127_084052.jpg

Yep, they are coins. 1 pence piece, around 20-21mm diameter, same size as the storm shields that I made.

A fake wood effect on the back

P1010262

Paint a design on paper at about 100mm

P1010009

Scan and then shrink to print out and apply to the pennies

P1010271

And voila you have some viking shields for your wolves.

P1010273

P1000046

P1000045

P1000037

P1000036

P1000034

Rather than individual designs for the breachers, I will utilise the same design and colours, but maybe vary it slightly by adding a rune here and there as if the warrior has marked his shield against maleficarum etc
Only Lords and Wolf Guard should be allowed their own unique designs. I also considered putting shields on  vehicles for hull point markers, but thern it might look a bit gimmicky, especially on non-transports.
My ambitious plan is to give every wolf guard terminator a shield, whether game legal or not, just because I think it looks cool. The FW combi-weapons will make fitting shields to arms easier because of te slim profile.

The Tartaros came as a job lot trade on dakkadakka about 2 years ago. They were primed bone colour as the guy was doing Deathwing, but I repurposed them :D
It gave me my first 20  FW terminators :)

If I recall vigilators have rules like infiltrate which can be conferred to a unit which is joined to them, so he is handy for getting the seekers where you want them to be in a hurry. Or possibly recon marines?

He can scout units, but not infiltrate them, because they would already be deployed by the time he gets to infiltrating.

Nice Are those coins for shields in the background? If so, which coins?

[Joke]Shame on you for buying the cheaper 40K Tartaros[/Joke]

It could be worse, he could have Indomitus. :P

And not feeling the coins really. They seem too big on some models (like the dread), and a flat disk is the worst possible design for a shield, but aesthetics always trump effectiveness in the 41st millennium, so if you like it, go for it! Certainly a unique solution.

I do like the thought though of being able to burn away the chaff, and clearing the way for the bigger seeker unit to take out the intende target, although removing chaff is not what seekers are for.

I may still make the combi meltas. I have a squad of tartaros terminator with combi bolters and chainfists, I could "upgrade" them and that gives me 2x5 man terminator hunting packs or a big 10 man unit. As it is, I have  with lightning claws, 5 with combi bolters and pwer weapons, 5 hammer and shields ( give them combi's to make them legal and shields can be rule of cool, or run tem as Fists until Wolves get rules), 5 with mixed combi weapons and fist/ melee weapons and now possibly 10 with dedicated combi weapon and chain fists.

Switch those combi-bolters for real weapons. I'm confused about the shield rule of cool reference, Salamanders can actually get storm shields.   Ah, scratch that, Salamanders were just a side-topic, and these guys are wolves.  Boo wolves!  Repaint them as Salamanders! :D

I guess you could play the guys with shields as modified cataphracti (since the shields improve save by 1).  May have to borrow the Ultramarines' shield/pistol amalgam, because I can't see too many other ways to combine a shield, combi-bolter, and hammer on one model.

Hey Terminus. The scout function will be good... Gets the seekers in close and quick. If they can be out of line of sight to be within 12", then swing around a corner or the like to get in rapid fire rang with the plasmas, then jobs-a-good'un.

To me vikings have always been known for fighting with axe/spear/sword and shield. Therefore whether they get the right to use shields on terminators and the like I would still like to use them on the models

If they get to use shields then awesome, I can decide if I want SS terminator or bolter plus cc weapon terminators. The TH/SS terminators were done before I knew the rules for the legion terminators and I assumed the rulles would be the same. 

Thats is what you get for assuming, it makes an ASS of ME, as my old manager used to say. I will strap combi weapons to them at some point maybe maglocked to their legs for rules legality.

The shield shape? I never cared much for the cross shaped shields. And I see round shields as synonimous with the vikings. Plus it is in the artwork.

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/Wolves%20with%20shields.jpg

The dread was done about 2010, when it was first released, the shields was a 40mm base with 2 others uesd to make rims :) Was my first attempt. It hsa since now disappeared somewhere in a house move. The teminator shields will be same size as breacher shields, so I do not think too big for them. The larger 2 pence (big copper coins used on TWC) are too big and the 10p was a test and I found it too big also. TWC will also eventually get 1p shields :)

I very rarely game, so getting enjoyment from the modelling and painting side is more important to me than the rules, but I will try to make models as legal as possible. The cataphractii idea is a good one and something to consider as I am not sure if you can mix armour types in a squad.

Out of curiosity... A melta is an assault weapon, but a bolter is not. If I fire off the melta on the combi-melta, can I assault in the same turn?

Hey Terminus. The scout function will be good... Gets the seekers in close and quick. If they can be out of line of sight to be within 12", then swing around a corner or the like to get in rapid fire rang with the plasmas, then jobs-a-good'un.

To me vikings have always been known for fighting with axe/spear/sword and shield. Therefore whether they get the right to use shields on terminators and the like I would still like to use them on the models

If they get to use shields then awesome, I can decide if I want SS terminator or bolter plus cc weapon terminators. The TH/SS terminators were done before I knew the rules for the legion terminators and I assumed the rulles would be the same.

Thats is what you get for assuming, it makes an ASS of U & ME, as my old manager used to say. I will strap combi weapons to them at some point maybe maglocked to their legs for rules legality.

The shield shape? I never cared much for the cross shaped shields. And I see round shields as synonimous with the vikings. Plus it is in the artwork.

Well, the next book will allow for mixed forces, so you could easily have some surviving "Salamanders" who joined your forces but instead are rocking wolf pelts. tongue.png

As for the shields, you're absolutely right that flat targe-style shields without a boss were a staple of the Vikings. I'm not objecting to the aesthetics (as I said before, they trump all things in 30/40K), just the backward engineering. But of course we're talking about engineering in the grimdark millennium, and we're talking about the Space Wolves, who put the 'dic' in ridiculous in general, so I realize I'm the one who's actually just being a ridiculous nerd. Carry on. biggrin.png

edit: as for the combi-melta question, yes, if only the assault weapon is fired, you are only bound by the assault weapon's limitations. Of course, in the case of terminators, they can fire rapid or heavy weapons on the move and still assault.

Archived