Black Shields - Loyality unknown (ideas collection)

Atia

Haven't read the whole thread so excuse me if I missed it.

Will the Black Shields become the Death Watch like the Knights Errant became the Grey Knights?

Or are they something like a official possibility for us to create loyal war bands (and later chapters) out of the traitor legions?

I really like the idea behind them as you can now create a renegade Black Shield force fighting it's way against loyalists and traitors alike. It creates a whole new bunch of possibilities concerning fan projects and their fluff. :)

Will the Black Shields become the Death Watch like the Knights Errant became the Grey Knights?

Or are they something like a official possibility for us to create loyal war bands (and later chapters) out of the traitor legions?

I really like the idea behind them as you can now create a renegade Black Shield force fighting it's way against loyalists and traitors alike. It creates a whole new bunch of possibilities concerning fan projects and their fluff. smile.png

They are not a coherent group. Being a Blackshield is more WHO you are than WHAT you are. They are the Everything Else bag, as opposed to the strict Loyalist / Traitor divide. They are not an organization, they are the grey, blurred border between Black and White.

They can be still loyal Traitor Legion who evaded the purges within the ranks. They can be Marines who betrayed and then had a change of heart after witnessing the Istvaan Massacre, Calth Atrocity or how their Legions changed. They can be Loyalists who felt Horus had a point, but his methods and betrayal were unacceptable and thus choose to stand for neither Terra nor the Warmaster, striking out on their own, for survival or setting up their own fiefdoms. They can be Traitors or Loyalists who felt wronged by both sides and lash out against both, saboteurs and betrayers to all. They can be Alpha Legion, all or none of them.

They might fight with or against Loyalists and/or Traitors and/or other Blackshields and/or Chaos and/or humanity and/or xenos. Every single loyalty or grudge or ambition is on a personal level, of that particular Blackshield, not their previous, rejected command structure. Sometimes goals or ambitions or loyalties align. At other times they clash.

There's no way to tell who they are and what they stand for purely because they are "a Blackshield". It's a great field for creativity - and that's the appeal.

No. The Black Shields are not a singular organisation, but rather a general term that encompasses all kinds of warbands whose loyalty or identity is unclear. The Deathwatch Blackshields share the name due to their shedding of former allegiance.

Thank you, Kastor.

That sounds even better!

It leaves way more opportunities than I first thought of.

I would suggest that some Black Shields survived the Heresy and therefore they need to find a new purpose as I don't believe that the After-Heresy Imperium would like to have them go nuts on their own.

There would be three choices:

- went renegade (if it haven't been done so far)

- get killed

- form a new band/ chapter with unknown origin to fight against the traitors and do what they want, how they want to do it

That's what I actually like the most about them. An alternate origin for fan based chapters. Not as an entire organization (as they aren't one), but I could imagine a group of shields still swear their loyalty to the Emperor. As none of the official legions fit their believes, they still fight as a single band of brothers. And those "bands" could be the origin of new chapters.

Don't get me wrong. It's only theoretically. But it is possible. :)

Well from the pictures we've seen it does seem to imply that at the end of the heresy/The Scouring that some Blackshields eventually chose a side whilst the others were chased off into the darkness and considered renegades/heretics. You are right though that they do open a hell of a lot more options for possible origin stories though for 2nd Founding Chapters.

Well from the pictures we've seen it does seem to imply that at the end of the heresy/The Scouring that some Blackshields eventually chose a side whilst the others were chased off into the darkness and considered renegades/heretics. You are right though that they do open a hell of a lot more options for possible origin stories though for 2nd Founding Chapters.

BLUUUUUUUT RAAAAHVNNNNZZZZ! :D

I'm imagining that its more than possible that a plethora of Night Lord's companies went black shield prior to the heresy upset by Curze incurring the wrath of the Imperium and vanishing into the darkness and feeling unable to return to the Imperium of Mankind due to said censure.

Two decades of raiding xenos held and xenos aligned human worlds, bringing terror and building their own dark empires when they learn of the drop site massacre and the heresy they choose not to join either side but instead begin feeding upon the dying carcass of the Imperium as they wait to see who comes out on top.

Sets of Pariah armour / bolter / flamers could have been nice, though smile.png

The Pariah bolters description pretty much matches the Umbra pattern bolter: a stripped down version lacking the decorative casing.

This actually matches with the concept sketches in the original power armour fluff article in WD129: The Mk4 & Mk7 marines were holding the same 'cased' gun, whilst the Mk5 & Mk6 were holding the same proto-Umbra gun. I've been wondering for years if it was meant to be a stripped down 'wartime economy' model introduced alongside MkV armour.

Well due to not having a specific one yet, I started hounding arround my bitz box for something that would do and found it:

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a544/jemlohr/image_zpsd3bgbnu3.jpeg

It's roughly the same size, and the front grill could easily be made to look like a modification rather than original. Switch out the cylinder at the bottom for a bolter magazine and voilà! Paraiah bolters for all...

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a544/jemlohr/image_zpsaqbqouhv.jpeg

What do you guys think?

Well, I had to pay in blood, but 25 stubbers, on their way! biggrin.png

EDIT: Next, heads.

I think I am going to run with the more skull like of the Iron Warriors helms, as its a pretty sleek look, and should go with MKIV for a more slim profile. I want this armour to look less chunky 'I am your doom' and more lean 'I'm running and gunning'.

Honestly with mine, the bolters are gonna be the only thing that's uniform. As for sleak helms some of the blood Angels and dark angels heads are very sleak and go rather well with different armour marks. Also the simple act of dropping the shoulder plates and either sculpting something thinner or other means of conversion would go a long way towards that sleek raider look.

The DA do look good too, BA look too much like MKIV I think, only 2 really fit what I'm looking for, either way its going to be an unit at a time, as I'm not getting 10 heads at once it will be an expensive unit for my 20 Marauders.

Dark Angels, Death Guard, Imperial Fists, Iron Hands, Iron Warriors, Night Lords, Sons of Horus, White Scars and World Eater heads.

These ones specifically, I feel, work the best with "Black Shields" in mind if you aren't averse to removing some of the details on them.

Archived