Black Shields - Loyality unknown (ideas collection)

Atia

Sounds cool to me, I'm personally running a force (Not sure on rules yet, more concerned about the fluff) of Blackshields that are just trying to create a safe heaven from the Heresy, going out from their base of operations to either recruit more guys or generally running for supplies smile.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMizPVwMSfA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLy7MKWFDlw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz1ZPVpBqZU

Guys.

got a question. I would like to start a brainstorm thread for my coming Black Shields band but I don't know where to post it.

Age of Darkness because of the setting?

Liber Astartes because it will be a fluff only thing?

I will likely create an additional thread in the Fan Fiction section when I got something done to present. ;) But until then I need a place to upload my ideas and get some feedback.

Rules question: that reaver squad has two attacks basic. Are they including the two ccw bonus there, or do they actually have three attacks each?

Dragonlover

2 base attacks +1 for having two weapons, so 3 total

I still need the rules and what not so I can build a list and then start modelimg the army. Already choose colour scheme and name. Gonna use old Dusk Raiders colours.

No symbols. They will be the right hand of Vengeance.

Well what you could always use the pics Atia posted in the op to get a decent idea on what to make

Sweet. I am all over this, it'll be like playing Orks with 3+ saves and a decent statline. What vehicles have the HH books got with assault ramps other than Storm Eagles, Land Raiders and the Kharybdis? This may be relevant...

Dragonlover

Sweet. I am all over this, it'll be like playing Orks with 3+ saves and a decent statline. What vehicles have the HH books got with assault ramps other than Storm Eagles, Land Raiders and the Kharybdis? This may be relevant...

Dragonlover

How can you forget the Mac Daddy of assualt vehicles? The Spartan!

Otherwise theres the mastadon which is even more huge. 

Dragonlover

How can you forget the Mac Daddy of assualt vehicles? The Spartan!

Otherwise theres the mastadon which is even more huge.

You both forgot the Caestus... Why not go for a flying LandRaider?

+Edit : Somehow, my reply completely disappeared and only the quoted text remained o.Ô

Thanks for all these ideas.  I, too, had previously considered Book VI to be a stop-gap book, filler until we get to Prospero.  Now, along with you, I'm of the opposite mindset, thinking this book opens up the most possibilities for the Horus Heresy and even beyond.  I thought long and hard before posting.

I had main two ideas.  I've never been afraid to speak my mind, but I never try to deliberately stir up controversy, and here's what I'm thinking:

II
XI

I know at least one of our B&C Brothers have been working on one of these, so it's not exactly new, but finally we have a set of rules that really reflect these two possibilities without having to count-as another Legion's units.  I'm thinking of these as the last remnants, pockets of survivors that got overlooked, staying under the radar with limited resources...and actually are technically and absolutely Black Shields by definition.

-----

A minor idea compared to the above is to make a proto-Legion of the Damned, using the Outlanders WxW's Void Reavers to Deep Strike.

Now, I'm not going against established lore with the LotD being the Fire Hawks Chapter being lost in the Warp, all I'm saying is, maybe they weren't the first.  The same phenomenon that happened to that one Chapter during a Warp jump could have befell Legionnaires before them during the massive troop movements of the Great Crusade.

Funnily enough, in the latest LotD mini-Codex, it specifically mentions a theory their origins might relate to the psychic backlash of Isstvan V and the death of a Primarch might have caused this.  Maybe these not-quite-LotD are the vengeful spirits of the betrayed in the Drop Site Massacre.

The lotd is an interesting idea, but personally I'd go with the lost legion theme. Some would have had to survive... It's completely plausible to have some in an army and given their age/ obvious survivability, they would probably be leaders of war bands or vets.

Edit: and that's not factoring the possible ultramarine integration

I was further brainstorming the look & feel of Black Shields.  Visually, I was considering their range of weapons and just the idea of Pariah Armour.  I found some inspiration in the form of 1st ed art.  I know many consider that to be weird stuff, it's way too old, it's been retconned...but if that's the case, then all the better to reflect 30k Pariah gear with.

http://oi66.tinypic.com/se259g.jpg

I was reading how Marauder squads could take Lascarbines, Laslocks, etc., and I thought of this picture.  However, look at the modified Mk VI armour.  All those exposed wires, side bolts to the armour, etc.  This was as much a factor of 80s art as anything, they loved adding contour lines to stuff, thus lots of extra wires.  But the gritty 80s style also fit how Black Shields have perhaps the strict structure and discipline of the Legions.

http://oi67.tinypic.com/9tcnsp.jpg

Dual Pistols, just something else the Marauder entry on getting an extra pistol as wargear reminded me of.  I also just noticed the Jump Packs here, designed in the late '80s, are very reminiscent of the HH line's Mark II and Mark III Jump Packs.

http://oi67.tinypic.com/2hcndba.jpg

I don't know what Xenos Deathlocks look like, but I wouldn't be surprised if those 2 guns above were such.  Also, look at the abundance of tubes and wires.  My favourite is how they're are like 2 going up just one of the Sergeant's nostrils...he's got a hose in the other.

Just sharing what looked very interesting to me while thinking about this Pariah Marine look.

Thank you, Not 1!

I haven't thought about the lost and forgotten. Now, I could bring my Sky Lords to life. :D

Kaedes' band find an forgotten outpost of the XI. Oh man... The possibilities... Just wunderbar! ;)

How the hell did I forget the Spartan? Good shout on the Caestus as well.

I've decided that the infrastructure of the Crimson Thunder is going to be provided by the remains of a Nomad Predation fleet who hailed a Traitor fleet and promptly got fired upon. They get out after taking heavy casualties and head to one of the worlds they know has a garrison that can't hurt them to find out what the hell is going on, and events carry on from there.

Dragonlover

I was further brainstorming the look & feel of Black Shields. Visually, I was considering their range of weapons and just the idea of Pariah Armour. I found some inspiration in the form of 1st ed art. I know many consider that to be weird stuff, it's way too old, it's been retconned...but if that's the case, then all the better to reflect 30k Pariah gear with.

http://oi66.tinypic.com/se259g.jpg

I was reading how Marauder squads could take Lascarbines, Laslocks, etc., and I thought of this picture. However, look at the modified Mk VI armour. All those exposed wires, side bolts to the armour, etc. This was as much a factor of 80s art as anything, they loved adding contour lines to stuff, thus lots of extra wires. But the gritty 80s style also fit how Black Shields have perhaps the strict structure and discipline of the Legions.

http://oi67.tinypic.com/9tcnsp.jpg

Dual Pistols, just something else the Marauder entry on getting an extra pistol as wargear reminded me of. I also just noticed the Jump Packs here, designed in the late '80s, are very reminiscent of the HH line's Mark II and Mark III Jump Packs.

http://oi67.tinypic.com/2hcndba.jpg

I don't know what Xenos Deathlocks look like, but I wouldn't be surprised if those 2 guns above were such. Also, look at the abundance of tubes and wires. My favourite is how they're are like 2 going up just one of the Sergeant's nostrils...he's got a hose in the other.

Just sharing what looked very interesting to me while thinking about this Pariah Marine look.

This is actually absolutely brilliant, dude. You just unleashed the floodgates.

In the HH vol 1, page 266, there is a character, Section Leader Crysos Morturg, and below the name it reads "Black Shield, formerly of the Death Guard". Do you think it would be available to us?

Called Decima (the Reductor magos from Betrayal) as well. These beg for more fluff.

In the HH vol 1, page 266, there is a character, Section Leader Crysos Morturg, and below the name it reads "Black Shield, formerly of the Death Guard". Do you think it would be available to us?

Had to check the red book, and sure enough, it's the same there... This might be entirely worth it to ask forge world, as that'd be a cool special character to have. His little fluff blurb goes on to mention that he got off istavan and became a prominent loyalist leader

Crysos Morturg

survives the heresy and later leads the 108th independend company against the Ashen Claws who claimed the Nostramo sector msn-wink.gif

Weeellllll... not really. He doesn't lead anything against the Ashen Claws or encounter them at all. He intercepts an astropathic relay fragment that hints at their activity. Date 063.M31 so we know he makes it ~50 years past the end of the Heresy though! So that's cool.

Also, the Ashen Claws never actually claim the Nostramo sector :P they just raided it during the Heresy a bit.

Archived