Cadian battlegroup idea

Seahawk

I was thinking about my IG and how to use the Cadian detachment, since my mens are all Cadians. Obviously using the entire the detachment is a huge investment, so I came to this idea: Only use Commands. This could be representative of a veteran force, equipped with whatever weapons it got its hands on, split down into 5-man squads, or an urban attack force, and so on.

The options one gets from this are immense! Each squad can be grenadiers with carapace armor, or scouts with camo cloaks, or mechanized with a transport for everyone, and 80% of all infantry models can have a special weapon, that's bananas! On top of that, orders for every single squad. Plus one heavy weapon for every 5 veterans, and advisors.

As well, having only tank commanders for your LR's means half are BS4 and all get orders.

Could this actually work though? I think so, and in fact I'll give it a try this week at club night.

That's something I'd never have thought of... even the commander isn't really much of a tax and can be useful giving orders to his squad! Sort of like the ultimate MSU? Commander needs to buy carapace separately at a premium unfortunately. Obviously they'd fold to almost any attention but you'd have plenty more to go around, perhaps 2 or 3 specials depending on type would be a good number lest you pour too many points in?

Interesting thoughts, each squad would be able to issue their own orders.

Majority armor save of the squad, couldn't you take all the wounds on a 4+ without buying it for him.

That's something I'd never have thought of... even the commander isn't really much of a tax and can be useful giving orders to his squad! Sort of like the ultimate MSU? Commander needs to buy carapace separately at a premium unfortunately. Obviously they'd fold to almost any attention but you'd have plenty more to go around, perhaps 2 or 3 specials depending on type would be a good number lest you pour too many points in?

I've considered the ramifications of the CBG only requiring one command to be a viable detachment. I'd never thought it would be a good idea, until you mentioned using them as elite squads. That could give you a hideous amount of firepower, if you mount them up in Chimeras with a master of ordnance. You could just spam templates at them until everything dies. That's pretty nasty, though CCS's get expensive when you do things like that.

Heh, I had a similar thought, although mine was the "Forward Observer List:"

A CCS with camo cloaks, a Master of Ordnance, and 15 points of weapon upgrades on average (spread across lascannons, flamers, and plasma most likely) is 113 points. In a 1500 point list, you could fit 13 of these, giving themselves orders on 3d6 and having 31 additional points for random other upgrades. How does 13 S9 AP3 Ordnance pieplates, buffed with Ignores Cover, Pinning, or Tank Hunter sound?

Not viable, but funny.

Hmm, yep only one commander is important as the warlord, and since each one can issue three orders at 24", if a few go down no big deal.

Fluff wise if you equip one squad with a few specials and one with a heavy, that's your "10 man squad". I remember in cityfight when you could "combat squad" your infantry squads, and this is basically the same thing.

This idea is pure gold. I might actually try to field this in my next tournament. Using vox-guys for MoO, this is doable.

*Disclaimer: This is a filthy, no-good, fluff-smashing tournament list... but also just the fun and craziness i've missed making serious lists.

You will need:

2 Drop-podding Melta CCS

2 Chimera CCS (Plasma/Melta)

3 Taurox CCS (Melta)

5 Ruin-hiding CSS

1 Drop-podding Culexus

10 3d6-scattering Orbital Bombardments... a turn...

= Profit

biggrin.png

+++ Battlegroup Crazyness (1849pts) +++

++ Astra Militarum: Codex (2014) (AM Cadian Battle Group) ++

+ Command +

Battle Group Command *Goes in Drop Pod*
Company Command Squad [Carapace Armour, 4x Veteran w/ Meltagun]

Battle Group Command *Goes in Drop Pod*
Company Command Squad [Carapace Armour, 4x Veteran w/ Meltagun]

Battle Group Command *WARLORD*
Company Command Squad [Carapace Armour, 2x Veteran w/ Lasgun, 2x Veteran w/ Plasma Gun]
Chimera [Dozer Blade, Heavy Bolter, Heavy Bolter]
Master of Ordnance

Battle Group Command
Company Command Squad [Flak Armour, 2x Veteran w/ Lasgun, 2x Veteran w/ Meltagun]
Chimera [Dozer Blade, Heavy Bolter, Heavy Bolter]
Master of Ordnance

Battle Group Command
Company Command Squad [Flak Armour, 2x Veteran w/ Lasgun, 2x Veteran w/ Meltagun]

Taurox

Master of Ordnance

Battle Group Command

Taurox
Master of Ordnance

Battle Group Command

Taurox
Master of Ordnance

Battle Group Command
Company Command Squad [Camo Gear for Veterans, Flak Armour, 4x Veteran w/ Lasgun]
Master of Ordnance

Battle Group Command
Company Command Squad [Camo Gear for Veterans, Flak Armour, 4x Veteran w/ Lasgun]
Master of Ordnance

Battle Group Command
Master of Ordnance

Battle Group Command
Master of Ordnance

Battle Group Command
Master of Ordnance

++ Blood Angels: Codex (2014) (BA Flesh Tearers Strike Force) ++

+ HQ +

Sanguinary Priest [inferno Pistol, Melta bombs] *Goes with in Drop Pod with a CCS*

+ Troops +

Scout Squad [4x Scouts, 4x Sniper Rifle]
Scout Sergeant [sniper Rifle]

+ Fast Attack +

Drop Pod [storm Bolter]

Drop Pod [storm Bolter]

Drop Pod [storm Bolter]

++ Officio Assassinorum: Dataslate (2014) (Officio Assassinorum Detachment) ++

Culexus Assassin *Goes in private Drop Pod... He's a little picky about riding public transports*

Heh, I had a similar thought, although mine was the "Forward Observer List:"

A CCS with camo cloaks, a Master of Ordnance, and 15 points of weapon upgrades on average (spread across lascannons, flamers, and plasma most likely) is 113 points. In a 1500 point list, you could fit 13 of these, giving themselves orders on 3d6 and having 31 additional points for random other upgrades. How does 13 S9 AP3 Ordnance pieplates, buffed with Ignores Cover, Pinning, or Tank Hunter sound?

Not viable, but funny.

I cackled with glee at this. I like Dangerclose's refinements of the idea too.

I think Seahawk is the first person we have all heard this idea from? I suggest Seahawk provide a name for this MoO spam list smile.png

Can't believe nobody else suggested this first. But if I get to, the name is:

Déjà MoO : the feeling you've been bombarded like this before in the same turn.

Fire on my target! Ignores cover! BOMBARDMENT!!!

All the vets in that list above already have camo cloaks.  What about buying an ADL to stick them behind.  Use the go to ground/get back in the fight combo to dodge a lot of incomming fire.  Take a few CCS w 4x Melta in Chimeras to charge the enemy armor/objectives while the MoO keeps throwing bombs.

The list above is made with the models i have available and it is also made within the ITC tournament format. That limits my choices somewhat smile.png

But Chimeras would be preferable, but can you issue an order for your own squad even though you are embarked in the Chimera?

Very viable points though. Totally forgot that they can't fire ordnance on the move, Lukash. I think I'll have to tailor the list a little. Really cool combo with the "Get back in the fight!"-order, nismogrendel.

Archived