Regarding the offer of a tutorial, yes please. It may not necessarily see use on this army (since I already have a few ideas on how I want to go about doing new bases now) but I have a few others in mind that it may work for. :thumbsup:

As for the Contemptor siege drill, you would do me great honor to use the same idea. It's such a simple thing, and to me it strikes me as such an obvious use of that bit, that I'm surprised that more people haven't done it yet. :biggrin.:

This is some really nice work! I especially love the fluff and that poem/song! I couldn't help but read it as if it were a song and the only bummer about it was I'm doing a Fists successor army not a Legion unit do I can't steal it :P

I was wondering if you could do a tutorial on your free hand Fist method. My chapter uses the Fist iconography, but as we're the Mailled Fists (focus on mechanized warfare) it's Silver on Black rather than Black on White and I've been struggling to get any level of consistent quality when I try and free hand it.

Thanks mate! I am rather proud of that ballad. It marks quite a step away from the existential poetry I usually write.

About the tutorial, I'll try to do one. I'm not making any promises, mind, but it'll probably come attached to a full tutorial for one of my guys (since I said that I'd do one a while back,) so that's on the to-do list. Probably when I get 'round to painting my Tacticals.  :thumbsup:

So, update on the basing situation, since I'm posting this anyways:

Been researching different ways to make concertina wire and found this tutorial. The result is as close to what I want as I've found so far, and floral wire is pretty cheap. I'm pretty sure I have some on hand, actually.

Probably gonna try a variation on Hyena's mud recipe that he used on his XIV Dragoon's bases, as noted in this post from his old thread.

Pretty simple, really, though time consuming. I mix Dark Flesh (not sure what the new equivalent in the citadel range is) with snow flock until it's like thick mashed potatoes, then lay it on thick. After it dries, a wash of Devlan Mud. After THAT dries, a thick coat of Wet Effects.

Takes forever, but totally worth it.

Obviously, those paints aren't available anymore, but I think I can make do with Doombull Brown with a wash of Agrax Earthshade and/or Nuln Oil, plus a coat of 'Ardcoat. I think.

And then some random stuff, like helms, bricks, and whatnot. We'll see. Gonna experiment a bit, see where it takes me.

Edited by The Psycho

Nice work mate!

On topic of painting the barbed wire, especially Devlan Mud (Oh hallowed by thy perfection in a pot). While you are part of the VIIth and I myself am Iron within, iron without, I do need to share with you my research on the perfect way of recreating it (Y'know, siege-brethren need to stick together and stuff). As Devlan Mud is quite essential to my painting technique of gold and brass, I have begun running low on my last pot. Experimenting for the past two weeks on the perfect mix ratio between Agrax and Nuln Shades, as Devlan Mud is a bit more blackish than just pure Agrax, has yielded the near-perfect mix. The best ratio, thus yielding the closest result, is a mix of Agrax Earthshade, Nuln Oil and Lahmian Medium in a 6:3:1 ratio. It becomes nearly indistinguishable to the original. Research has been conducted with almost 150 different mixes and testers on various colours.

Hope it helps! :)

The Obs: you're mad. :P If you don't want to go through that whole process, I'm pretty sure you can just by a dropper bottle of Army Painter's Strong Tone is an almost identical match, as is Vallejo's Brown Shade. Just an addendum to your post, in case people reading this don't want to faff around with mixing paints. :)

The Psycho: I'm not sure that the 'Ardcoat will work as intended but try it out and see what happens. And please share your results as I'm curious to see what you come up with!

And I'll share the tutorial with you once I get my next batch of models done. :tu:

::login required::

::ident confirmed::

:: upload begins::

http://i.imgur.com/UMp7H8m.jpg

[pict-capture ZX/9824-00-71: I Tactical, Company A (Line), 284 Storm Battalion]

http://i.imgur.com/qJzgGzF.jpg

[pict-capture ZX/9824-00-72: Trooper Maley, I Grenadier, Company A (Line), 284 Storm Battalion]

http://i.imgur.com/SnAFnlk.jpg

[pict-capture ZX/9824-00-73: Trooper Santago, I Grenadier, Company A (Line), 284 Storm Battalion]

http://i.imgur.com/ezEt15z.jpg

[pict-capture ZX/9824-00-74: Justici Reynault Zahn, attached to I Wallbreaker, 284 Storm Battalion]

::upload ends::

Whew. It's been quite a week. And so I'm bringing you a quite Terminator filled update.

Anyways, I went out and picked up the necessary supplies for my little experiment. I think it was successful. In my opinion, the plain mud still looks better than what I had before. . Obviously, not all of my models will have just mud, but I didn't have time to get the stuff for the barbed wire and I wanted to try out Hyena's recipe as soon as I could. Let me now what you think!

gallery_78067_12186_51164.jpg

Also managed to pick up a couple of the Praetor Tribune model to have. I've washed the resin, but haven't fixed the warping yet. I'll get on it soon. He's also just tacked together, as I seem to have glued my superglue shut. :tongue.: I'll have to run out and get some more.

gallery_78067_12186_6999.jpg

Also started working on some standard Indomitus Terminators for the force. Here's a preview:

gallery_78067_12186_82953.jpg

Lastly, I've been slightly remiss in responding to comments. I will correct that ASAP!

Nice work mate!

On topic of painting the barbed wire, especially Devlan Mud (Oh hallowed by thy perfection in a pot). While you are part of the VIIth and I myself am Iron within, iron without, I do need to share with you my research on the perfect way of recreating it (Y'know, siege-brethren need to stick together and stuff). As Devlan Mud is quite essential to my painting technique of gold and brass, I have begun running low on my last pot. Experimenting for the past two weeks on the perfect mix ratio between Agrax and Nuln Shades, as Devlan Mud is a bit more blackish than just pure Agrax, has yielded the near-perfect mix. The best ratio, thus yielding the closest result, is a mix of Agrax Earthshade, Nuln Oil and Lahmian Medium in a 6:3:1 ratio. It becomes nearly indistinguishable to the original. Research has been conducted with almost 150 different mixes and testers on various colours.

Hope it helps! :smile.:

Brother, I have to agree with Dos here. You're mad. That's not a bad thing, but still. :tongue.: That's quite a bit more effort then I'd be willing to go through for most things, but especially basing. I wasn't worried about matching Hyena's technique exactly either, so for the experiment Agrax alone sufficed. If I do ever come across a recipe where I need true Devlan Mud, though, I'll most definitely keep your recipe in mind! Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

The Obs: you're mad. :tongue.: If you don't want to go through that whole process, I'm pretty sure you can just by a dropper bottle of Army Painter's Strong Tone is an almost identical match, as is Vallejo's Brown Shade. Just an addendum to your post, in case people reading this don't want to faff around with mixing paints. :smile.:

The Psycho: I'm not sure that the 'Ardcoat will work as intended but try it out and see what happens. And please share your results as I'm curious to see what you come up with!

And I'll share the tutorial with you once I get my next batch of models done. :thumbsup:

Looking good, mate. :thumbsup:

Thanks mate. Thankfully the 'Ardcoat did indeed work (I think? You can judge for yourself.) I look forward to seeing your tut!

Thanks for looking.

Edited by The Psycho

Excited to see your take on the Tribune Praetor. Also loving the dirt and the grime on those bad boys!!! Looking proper.

Also Indominutus!?!? What fresh heresy is this?!?!

Thanks bud! I'm pretty happy to have gotten my hands on the Praetor, even if he did cost a bit more than what was reasonable. I mean, I still bought him, just goes to show you what a sucker I am for the words "limited edition.":P

Regarding the Indominus, I mainly got them for variety. I know, speaking rules wise, they're not as good as Tartaros or Cataphractii, but they're such an iconic part of 40k that I wanted to include some in my main army. Of course I've modified the armor, shaving off the Crux Terminatus (of course) and some of the weird nobby bits on the top.

Additionally, Extermination says that "[t]he Imperial Fists were also amongst the strongest proponents of the development of Tactical Dreadnought and fielded a large number of squads equipped in all patterns of the so-called Terminator armour. Notably, they were also amongst the first to field significant numbers of the Indominus pattern produced by the forges of Deimos." So the fluff backs me up a little bit here. But I mostly did it because I thought it'd look cool. :D

What would possess the Imperial Fists to field an inferior pattern of armour? But it does look dope though.

I'm still kicking myself for not getting off my lazy :censored: and getting that tribune, he's an amazing model!

Who knows? Maybe it's not quite so inferior in-universe, as it is on the tabletop? After all, the bit I quoted said that the design came from Deimos, and Deimos-pattern equipment (especially Rhino chassis vehicles) were considered high quality of manufacture. Who knows...

Yeah, funny thing is that I didn't really plan on getting the Tribune originally, as I'm not a huge fan of the model (cool as it is) but it just sorta happened. Hopefully I can do something cool with him.

I may be stealing your idea...

The Indominus? Or something else? Go for it! As I've said before (though not in so many words,) if I cared about the "intellectual property" of my conversions and modeling choices, I wouldn't share them on the Internet. :tu:

Yeah, swapping the head for a helmet is definitely an option, but I'm probably more likely just to switch to a different bare head to be honest. I'm also torn about whether to keep his weapon or not. On the one hand, it's pretty unique and makes him stand out. On the other, I just don't particularly like it. I'm going to go see if I can get my hands on the Deathwing Champion's axe bit and probably integrate that into the model.

Oh, he's definitely joining my Fists. The armor has a pretty distinct "early Crusade honors" flair to it, and like you said, that feels pretty Fist-y. Besides, I have another one in case I want to use the model in a different army. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Did someone order a can(non) of ass(ault) whup?

gallery_78067_12186_30201.jpg

Had a bit of a break from the hobby the past few weeks, but I'm starting to get my mojo back. This is just a preview, though. I've got some cool stuff to come. :wink:

Edited by The Psycho

:::processing:::

:::WARNING - pict-heavy:::

:::inload begins:::

gallery_78067_12186_102759.jpg

[pict-capture ZX/4218-21-09: Wallbreaker Harbough, I Wallbreaker, 284. Storm Battalion]

gallery_78067_12186_84121.jpg

[pict-capture ZX/4218-21-10: Wallbreaker Baelor, I Wallbreaker, 284. Storm Battalion]

gallery_78067_12186_111119.jpg

[pict-capture ZX/4218-21-11: Wallbreaker Fischbach, I Wallbreaker, 284. Storm Battalion]

gallery_78067_12186_41701.jpg

[pict-capture ZX/4218-21-12: Wallbreaker Rawles, I Wallbreaker, 284. Storm Battalion]

gallery_78067_12186_84047.jpg

[pict-capture ZX/4218-21-13: Wallbreaker Lysander (squad second,) I Wallbreaker, 284. Storm Battalion]

med_gallery_78067_12186_579938.jpg

[pict-capture ZX/4218-21-14: I Wallbreaker (full complement,) 284. Storm Battalion]

:::inload ends:::

Absolutely wonderful thread here, Psycho. I like the direction you're taking with the Fists and I look very forward to what you have in store for us. 

I salute the 284th, may they die standing on their feet. 

Thank you Tyrax! Means a lot coming from you! :tu: With any hope, the 284th and the 126th may meet on the field of battle one day!

Ave, Ferrum Bellator, Morituri te Salutant ;)

Yeah, swapping the head for a helmet is definitely an option, but I'm probably more likely just to switch to a different bare head to be honest. 

I know I'm late to the party, but I really think a nice helmet would work nicely. A trimmed down Imperial Fist one, or maybe even one from the Phalanx Warders would look spiffy.

I personally used one from the Scars upgrade set on my (WIP) Tribune:

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u490/Revnesko/WH40K/WIP/DSC02033_zpsfbgnr1g1.jpg

:::reponsive inload:::

:::source - ENCRYPTED <vermillion-Θ-3>:::

:::ATTN - Brother Phedias:::

:::SUBJ - VII-284BTN:::

Message - your advice has been taken into account. Unfortunately, the subject of which you speak has already been finalized, and a preliminary transmission is attached below. However, there exists the possibility of a second subject and if that possibility is ever fully explored, what you suggest will most definitely be applied. Ave Imperator.

Note - Image is of an unidentified loyalist Astartes present in the same engagements as members of the Imperial Fists 284th Storm Battalion (official designation VII-284BTN) and as such assumed to be a member of that same force. Image was recovered through uncertain means (cross-ref case file 6Σ-3081) and has suffered heavy degradation. We are employing every means possible to make it clearer. Estimated timeframe for completion is yet unknown. Ave Imperator.

gallery_78067_12186_101648.jpg

[pict-capture ZX/████-██-██ <censored by order of the Sigil>: Subject unknown]

:::inload recieved:::

:::source - ENCRYPTED <vermillion-Θ-3>:::

:::SUBJ - VII-284BTN-COM <Judiciary Xayle>:::

gallery_78067_12186_260359.png

During the years of the Great Heresy, paranoia ran rampant throughout the great armies of the Imperium, as doubts about every warrior's loyalties were brought to the light. Commanders suspected their troops of secret treason, and troops the same of their commanders. Brother looked askance at their brothers, and fathers lost faith in their sons. Very few were above suspicion. Every Armyman, every Legionnaire, even the primarchs themselves, had their allegiance questioned, and every one of these men had different responses to this. Leman Russ, Master of the VI Legion, famously had "watch packs" of handpicked Astartes assigned to his brothers' Legions to act as kill teams should a brother of his turn Traitor.

However, the Imperial Fists, in general, were never truly suspect, save for a very few notable Legionnaires. Their primarch Rogal Dorn was the Emperor's Praetorian, famed for his steadfast loyalty to his father, and for what it was worth, he trusted his sons as much as he could. Thus, it was not until the Siege of Terra, when the paranoia of the Heresy grew to its very height, that precautions were taken within the Legion.

When the first reports started coming in that the Warmaster's fleets were finally converging upon Terra and that the Throneworld was under imminent threat of attack, Legion High Command met, notably without the authorization of the primarch, and made a decision. Trust, at such a critical point in this war, was not enough. Every precaution must be taken to ensure loyalty. So was the Judiciary Protocol drafted, ratified, and put into effect.

The protocol selected known Imperial Fists about whom Legion Command had no qualms about loyalty, mostly veterans of the Templar Brethren and the Chaplaincy. Each of them were assigned to a particular VII Legion formation's command structure, usually at the battalion or household level, where they were given the power of judge, jury, and executioner for any suspected cases of treason, and titled "Judiciary." They were a last resort in a desperate time, and to the credit of the Imperial Fists' faithfulness, found wholly unnecessary.

The Judiciary of the 284th Storm Battalion was a legionnaire named Xayle. A veteran Chaplain of the Legion who had served the Seventh since its inception on Terra, Xayle had suffered much in his long years of service, and by the time of the Siege, was without a doubt far more comprised of augmentics of widely varing quality and grafted flesh than the body he was born with, one particularly crude cybernetic in place of where his jaw, taken off by an Eldarin warlord, had once been, rendering him mute. Clad in fine Terminator plate of the Tartaros pattern that belayed the brutality of both his prosthetics and his favored styles of combat, he fought alongside the 284th in many of their engagements, wreaking havoc upon the Traitors.

As with many of the Terminators of the VII Legion, Judicary Xayle was a participant in that final assault upon the Vengeful Spirit, flagship of the XVI Legion, deploying with the remnants of the 284th's Wallbreaker cohort, and despite suffering heavy injuries, his augmentics sustained him long enough after the engagement for Legion Apothecaries to treat him. His ultimate fate is unknown.

gallery_78067_12186_119163.jpg

[pict-capture ZX/5673-14-01: Judiciary Xayle, 284th Storm Battalion]