Spangle's HH Emperor's Children

Spangle

I was originally inspired by the FW Kakophoni models (as they are so lovely) to start work on a Heresy era Emperor's Children force. After buying a few bits, I had become distracted by competitive 40k with my gaming group! This has resulted in spending most of last year turning this dream into a semi-competitive 40k army, in order to take part in a few tournaments. As fun as this journey has been, I really need to reign in this distraction so that I can focus on bringing this army back to it's original intent, 30k.

This project log is to help me get back on track, and forge onwards into the bags of resin I have accumulated, doing justice to the 3rd legion!

The state of the current army ...

gallery_92913_11809_1514233.jpg
And at a recent doubles tourney...
gallery_92913_11809_214046.jpg
The current target is around the 2k mark using the 3rd Company Elite RoW.
HQ
Eidolon - Done
TROOPS
Tactical Squad
Kakophoni
ELITES
Contemptor Dreadnought Talon
Apothecarian Detachment
FAST ATTACK
Javelin Landspeeder - WIP
Javelin Landspeeder
Scimitar Jetbikes
Heavy Support
Sicaran
Deredeo
Predators

The first of two Javelin Landspeeders.

I got a small amount of 'the orange peel effect' when priming, though hopefully it doesn't look too obvious / awful. My apologies for the rough and ready photo shoot!

gallery_92913_11809_318110.jpg

In terms of painting quality these are pretty well done. It's interesting how you have chosen to use Kakophoni models as your special weapons and Palatine Blades as your Veteran Sergeants. That's very creative and nice to see. I do notice however that your vehicles seem to be lacking in any kind of flourishes such as decals, brass etches, or hand painted details. If you can find a way to work these things in you'll move your Sicarian/Speeder from being good to great!

In terms of painting quality these are pretty well done. It's interesting how you have chosen to use Kakophoni models as your special weapons and Palatine Blades as your Veteran Sergeants. That's very creative and nice to see. I do notice however that your vehicles seem to be lacking in any kind of flourishes such as decals, brass etches, or hand painted details. If you can find a way to work these things in you'll move your Sicarian/Speeder from being good to great!

Thank you for the kind words!

Loving the EC model, though found their rules lacking before book 6, so using them in 40k tactical squads was a way of getting these models on the table. Now that i'm trying to ignore the 40k side of this army (and my competitive nature), they can be used as their correct units. I'm loving the new EC RoW and intend to have at least one squad of Kakophani as a troops choice.

I 100% agree with the bland / flat nature of the vehicles. I am intending to do a kind of, second pass over the models i've completed so far, as most were done to more of a tournament standard. I'm going to rebase the infantry onto 32mm bases and add a second brighter highlight to parts of the model that would receive the most light. I'm hoping to add some transfers once i've sourced some white roman numerals, as i'm more of a fan of white details than gold.

I've also attempted some weathering on test models, but really can't get it to look good at all. I'm not sure if this is down to purple in general, or i'm taking the wrong approach entirely. I might just stick to some simple powders around the feet / tracks / bottom of vehicles, as those tests have been more successful.

I think the Sicaran would benefit from some alternative coloured panels, similar to the white on the Javelin, which looks great. Overall though, a really nice looking force and I too like the use of Palatine Blade models as the squad leaders. Really keen on those guys thumbsup.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the kind words! My apologies for the delay in responding, as life, as usual, is getting in the way smile.png

My second javelin speeder progress has been halted as i'm awaiting some replacement Missile Launchers due to some bad casting. So instead, i've started to crack on with my first HQ choice. The big purple one, Eidolon!

gallery_92913_11809_202233.jpg

I'm having a few small games on Saturday with my ECs, against some fluffy 40k armies. I'll be running the following (1250pts).

Eidolon

10x Tactical Squad (Sgt with AA / Combi-plasma)

5x Kakophoni

Contemptor-Mortis w/ Kheres

Deredeo w/ Autocannons + Missile Launcher

2x Javelin Landspeeders w/ ML

Sicaran Battle Tank w/ Lascannons

Very beautiful Emperor's Children! Any chance on more close-ups? smile.png

Here are some photos of my tactical squad, apologies for the awful lighting, desk space is very minimal currently! In the future i'll have to get a decent lighting setup, for sure.

gallery_92913_11809_358514.jpg

gallery_92913_11809_1065697.jpg

gallery_92913_11809_1318553.jpg

Great work as always, though I think they would look even better with the EC Chests and Helms (the latter especially). I like the intimate details you are putting into Eidolon as the model is high quality enough to deserve the attention. When I made mine, I built the entire model in advance and painted it as it stood. While this meant I didn't have any more fitting or gluing to do, I found it pretty hard to dig into the cramped spaces and paint details. Which approach do you find works better?

Great work as always, though I think they would look even better with the EC Chests and Helms (the latter especially). I like the intimate details you are putting into Eidolon as the model is high quality enough to deserve the attention. When I made mine, I built the entire model in advance and painted it as it stood. While this meant I didn't have any more fitting or gluing to do, I found it pretty hard to dig into the cramped spaces and paint details. Which approach do you find works better?

The Eidolon model is so dreamy! After his reveal at an open day I was awaiting his release every Friday on the 'New' page of the FW website until his arrival! He's taking a while to paint because of all the intricate details, though I want to do him justice, so the time investment is worth it.

Regarding sub assemblies, I do it for all of my models - even basic marines (body, gun, pads, backpack). I just found it frustrating to poke my brush into the little gaps etc, and found i'd get paint in the wrong places making all sorts of mess. It's definitely a pain to cork up all the individual components of a model but I think it's definitely a worthwhile process in the end.

that purple is so matte and desaturated, absolutely love it

I'm absolutely in love with your dusky gray-purple.

I hope i'm not deceiving you with the pictures of the tactical squad - the light in those photos is definitely washing out the purple a bit. The photos in the original post are far more accurate colour wise. My models are definitely very matte though as I really like the look after a few coats of matte varnish. This was a happy accident, using liberal varnish, because I was afraid of my models becoming damaged as they are frequently used in games.

Nice work, dude! I'm looking forward to seeing how your 3rd Company project goes thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the kind words, i've been looking in on your thread for months and has been a great source of EC inspiration!

• 1 month later...

After what seems like forever, I now have finally settled on the tweaked scheme / appearance for the future of these marines. I've mainly been indecisive about my basing scheme, but feel like I'm finally happy with the outcome.

I've added a bit of a contrast colour with the black shoulder pad, partly due to my lack of patience painting white, though I feel this is fitting for the traitorous elements of this force. As well as this, I have added another layer of contrasty highlights and a bit of weathering powders at the feet.

The photo was a bit rushed, but here is my first 'EC Marine v2'

gallery_92913_11809_516815.jpg

Eidolon has also been completed sans base for some time - so now he can be be finished!

Archived