Spangle's HH Emperor's Children

Spangle

The black pads are definitely different man! They suit the desaturated violet you have got going well, only critique is the bolter casing kind of blends with the arm. Either way digging the style and your clean technique!

I'm in agreement with Rangaman on the bolter casings, they do kind of blend in with the rest of the armour. Maybe if they were black also then they'd stand out more.

I do like your use of the Palatine blade bodies for veteran legionnaries and the matt purple armour is well done.

Thank you all again for the kind words, it's very much appreciated and really motivational!

Regarding the bolter casing, I feel that the Emperor's children are narcissistic enough to want guns matching their armour biggrin.png

As previously mentioned, Eidolon has gone from almost to complete, to completely complete.

gallery_92913_11809_827390.jpg

Oh wow, all of those colors are so rich and pretty.

I think if I had to pick, that juicy looking red is my faves.

Thanks! Painting red is a nightmare, so glad it has turned out OK!

A quick couple with my new EC marine! Time to crack on with the other ~ 1800ish points!

gallery_92913_11809_596983.jpg

gallery_92913_11809_671595.jpg

I think you have managed to get the best Eidolon I have seen and there are some stunners on here, but the helm on him just makes him stand out.

Any chance you could say how you go about painting one of your basic marines?

Thanks you all again, it's always appreciated!

Your Eidolon looks awesome, nice crisp colours and the shading is well done. What's next on the to-do list?

Awesome work! Eidolon looks great.

I'm looking forward to seeing the next 1,800ish points thumbsup.gif

I guess I should be restrained and complete my initial troops choices - 10 Tactical Marines and 5 Kakophoni! There's a rough 750pts i'm working towards, which is the following;

Eidolon

10x Tactical Marines

5x Kakophoni

2x Javelin Landspeeder

Predator

It's not supposed to be competitive, just small chunks to help the project move along. After that I'll need to update my Sicaran and Contemptor-Mortis to the new army standard. I also recently picked up a 30th Anniversary marine that i'll need to squeeze in at some point, potential Vigilator Centurion?

I think you have managed to get the best Eidolon I have seen and there are some stunners on here, but the helm on him just makes him stand out.

Any chance you could say how you go about painting one of your basic marines?

I'd be happy to do a step-by-step if anyone would be interested? I'm not sure the next time i'll be building a basic marine, but i've got 8 Kakophoni washed and prepped, so can easily do one of those instead.

If you want a quick run down:

Common

1. Cork all the individual pieces (bolter, pads, backpack) separately from the body.

2. Prime using Halfords (UK Car / Bike shop) Grey Primer.

3. Undercoat with Army Painter Alien Purple

Armour

1. Wash the armour recesses with two layers of Druchii Violet

2. Layer up Alien purple

3. Highlight all areas with Genestealer purple

4. Further highlight with 2:1 Genestealer purple and White Scar only where the light would hit (imagine a bulb above the models head)

Metal

1. Paint the metal areas black

2. Paint the metal with Leadbelcher

3. Wash with Nuln Oil

4. Light drybrush with Leadbelcher

5. Further highlight with Runefang Steel only where the light would hit (imagine a bulb above the models head)

Gold

1. Paint the gold areas black

2. Paint the gold with Balthasar Gold

3. Wash with Agrax Earthshade

4. Layer with Gehenna's Gold

5. Further highlight with Retributer Gold only where the light would hit (imagine a bulb above the models head)

I find the combination of the two washes, and the 2:1 Genestealer Purple / White Scar introduce some striking contrast.

fantastic looking eidolon... too bad he's such a turd in the novels!

I was playing around with a simple white back drop, hopefully you can see him a bit more here, if you're interested.

gallery_92913_11809_358804.jpg

Amazing Eidolon and amazing thread! Don't know how I missed this one!

Congratulations man, the Javelins especially, they are art! thumbsup.gif

Speaking of Javelins... this one has now been completed.

gallery_92913_11809_1594321.jpg

I was very proud of my basing, so thought i'd get a quick snap of those in :) The wash pooled a little on the cork on the 60mm, something to watch out for next time!

gallery_92913_11809_983616.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Tweaked and updated my tactical marine sergeant to the new style, and Phoenix Spear!

gallery_92913_11809_45214.jpg

gallery_92913_11809_183286.jpg

gallery_92913_11809_937646.jpg

My progress is going to slow (even further) as i'm moving house, but i'm aiming to get the tactical squad complete before they end up being boxed away! I've carefully removed them from their existing bases, and have built their new ones.

gallery_92913_11809_70837.jpg

Thank you for the run down, not sure I could manage to bring out myself but something for me to try.

You're more than welcome! It's honestly very simple, would be great to see the results if you ever give it a go!

Looking really nice there Spangle, but why is Eidilon hiding in the back? Doesn't seem very like him not to take centre stage msn-wink.gif

Have you any plans for the blank shoulder pads?

I do indeed! I'm trying to source some white 'III' transfers for the shoulder pads, and black areas on vehicles. I think you can get them in certain ultramarine / generic marine transfer sheets.

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent work man thumbsup.gif

Can't wait for the transfers! smile.png

Thank you very much! Still need to hunt these down!

These are neat. Have you ever considered using the upgrade kits on your models such as the Helms and chest pieces? They look really amazing in my opinion which is why I doled out the extra money to get them.

Thanks! I'm personally not a fan of the helms, but I do really like the chest pieces. Unfortunately with the resin models, they really become expensive (though super worth it). If i'd started this army post B@C, I would have definitely splurged on more upgrade bits.

I've completed the house move and got all my hobby bits out in preparation for some painting at the weekend, though before everything was packed up I got a quick snap of a WIP Sicaran.

gallery_92913_11809_1025979.jpg

That Sicaran is looking gorgeous.

And to be perfectly honest I think the bog-standard tactical marines look great; I've never felt like they should have too much ornamentation, although they should certainly appear somewhat unique. I suppose a case can be made for the Emperor's Children to look particularly ostentatious at all levels of the hierarchy. tongue.png

How you get it so smooth over such a large area I do not know, well played and glad to see the thread being update. Congrats again on the house move.

I would argue that the basic tactical marines have not earned the honour of wearing more ornate armour or anything. From the Veterans up it might change though.

• 2 weeks later...

That Sicaran is looking gorgeous.

And to be perfectly honest I think the bog-standard tactical marines look great; I've never felt like they should have too much ornamentation, although they should certainly appear somewhat unique. I suppose a case can be made for the Emperor's Children to look particularly ostentatious at all levels of the hierarchy. tongue.png

How you get it so smooth over such a large area I do not know, well played and glad to see the thread being update. Congrats again on the house move.

I would argue that the basic tactical marines have not earned the honour of wearing more ornate armour or anything. From the Veterans up it might change though.

Great work, dude! Your army is looking excellent thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the kind words, it really does help with the motivation!

All this talk about veterans and ornate marines has sparked my interest in a more 'blingy' squad of some description. I'm considering buying a Dreadclaw transporting something special :)

In other news, i've started on troops choice number 2, Kakophoni!

gallery_92913_11809_189006.jpg

Archived