A Poor Man's Guide to Ordo Reductor

So let me start this off saying this: I always loved a siege army. Back when I was just a young little noob with assault on black reach marines I dreamed of doing a siege assault army, but didn't have enough money to do so.

Now I'm enjoying mechanicus a lot more than marines, but I feel something missing... Something with big blast templates and charging fortifications.... And I have found myself dreaming about starting a 30k army of ordo reductor! Only problem is, I still dont have enough money to responsibly invest in the mechanicum red book (hell I don't even have cult mechanicus yet!) and thus, have no clue where to start. So, I thought I would turn to the internet, the fountain of all knowledge, to ask a few simple questions....

What HQ (besides Caleb) does the most for the points? Can the generic Magos still transfer tank hunter and wrecker? Is it unreasonable to make a tech priest over 245 pts and have him sit in a big blob of thralls?

What can I do with artillery / How do I get them? I know they are in there. Can I do my dream of 3 artillery tanks with demolisher cannons and POTMS? 

What are the troops like? Can I have tech thralls? is it only the thallax? 

If you haven't read this yet, I'd reccomend it. Be warned there is some swearing, but it's pretty solid for information and advice.

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000/Tactics/Mechanicum_(30k)

Hope this helps.

Dallo

I recconize this, but My questions stand none the less. My dumb mind likes being told directly for some questions, and some things do not show in 1d4chan.

What HQ (besides Caleb) does the most for the points? Can the generic Magos still transfer tank hunter and wrecker? Is it unreasonable to make a tech priest over 245 pts and have him sit in a big blob of thralls?

What can I do with artillery / How do I get them? I know they are in there. Can I do my dream of 3 artillery tanks with demolisher cannons and POTMS? 

What are the troops like? Can I have tech thralls? is it only the thallax? 

I am absolutely no expert when it comes to Mechanicum, but I have the red book and it gets more and more likely for me to start an army as well (Cybernetica is my favourite though).

The tech priest has sunder and adds +1 to the vehicle or building damage table and can transfer that to an heavy or ordenance weapon within 6".

In some online battle reports I have seen some pretty expensive Magos with tons of equipment, but I have a feeling that keeping him cheaper for more troops instead may be stronger. Thralls seem like a good shield, but he can be pretty sturdy already with stuff like the Abeyant (IWND and +1 wound) and Machinator Array (+1T). Fluffwise I think Ordo Reductor does not use Tech Thralls to the same amount than other parts of the Mechanicum. However, they still make use of them from time to time.

You can use Artilary Tanks automaticaly when you field a Reductor Army. They have a Whirlwind launcher to beginn with, and can be upgraded with Demolisher Cannon, Quad lascannon, Dual Melta Cannon, Earthshaker Cannon, Medusa Cannon or Mars- Colossus Bombard. You can put 3 of them together as a squadron.

Another option is the minotaur tank with DualEarthshaker Cannon.

WRT troops: You can field thralls, but your compulsary troop choices must be thallax.

Now this might be a silly question, but I thought that in older fluff the Ordo Reductor had access to Leman Russes? I'm planning on "eventually" getting myself some Mechanicum allies to my Iron Warriors, but I'd really like some Demi-Culverin goodness :)

Magos only has 2 wounds getting you down?

Look into turning him into an Archmagos Dominus for 3 Wounds and T5.

Then Take a Mechanicum Protectiva for a 4++ then a Cyber Familiar for a 3++

Then you take an Abeyant for +1 Wound, Move Through Cover, IWND, Very Bukly and Hardened Armor.

Add on a Machinator Array for +1 Toughness.

So, you're magos now looks like this: 4W, T6, 3+/3++ with IWND, MTC, Relentless for 185 w/ Rad Grenades. Add on weapons to taste.

Hope that helps!

Then you take an Abeyant for +1 Wound, Move Through Cover, IWND, Very Bukly and Hardened Armor.

So, you're magos now looks like this: 4W, T6, 3+/3++ with IWND, MTC, Relentless for 185 w/ Rad Grenades. Add on weapons to taste.

Hope that helps!

Oh wow that is friggen tough! and all that for 185 pts? dang! What would you give to help out him as a support unit though?

As a Magos of the Ordo Reductor, he has Tank Hunter meaning that gets conferred.

He can then take an Augury Array for an Interceptor Bubble/infiltration Denial.

You can give him a Chain Fists for Sx2 Ap2, Armorbane, Tank Hunter CC Attacks. Take Rad Grenades for -1T on a charge/when charged, a Rad Furnace for -1T to stuff around him for a cumulative -2 and take a Rad Cleanser for a Fleshbane Flamer that, should they take a wound from it and survive, receive another permanent -1T for a total of -3 Toughness.

Meaning vs Multi-Wound MEQ/TEQ, you could reduce them to T1 for some serious Hilarity or make a literal joke out of MC's/GMCs. T6 Riptides? Fail to save that Rad Cleanser wound and you're down to T3 when you get charged buddy! HELLO INSTANT DEATH FROM S6 CC ATTACKS!

Take Breaching Charges as points allow for an at-initiative S8 Ap2 CC Blast Weapon (because why not LOL!?) and Phosphex Bombs as you see fit since you can shoot up to 2 weapons when geared up as above for an S5 Ap2 Poisoned 3+ Small Blast in addition to whatever else you'd want to shoot.

Or, if AV is a problem, take a Graviton Gun for a 3" Haywire Blast that causes Difficult/Dangerous Terrain until your next turn.

It gets expensive fast though! Those upgrades ain't cheap and the Phosphex and Breaching Charges are One-Use.

If you want Ranged Pew Pew he can take a Conversion Beamer but you'd be trading the Machinator Array for it (which is a big no-no for me for this build in particular).

As a Magos of the Ordo Reductor, he has Tank Hunter meaning that gets conferred.

He can then take an Augury Array for an Interceptor Bubble/infiltration Denial.

You can give him a Chain Fists for Sx2 Ap2, Armorbane, Tank Hunter CC Attacks. Take Rad Grenades for -1T on a charge/when charged, a Rad Furnace for -1T to stuff around him for a cumulative -2 and take a Rad Cleanser for a Fleshbane Flamer that, should they take a wound from it and survive, receive another permanent -1T for a total of -3 Toughness.

Meaning vs Multi-Wound MEQ/TEQ, you could reduce them to T1 for some serious Hilarity or make a literal joke out of MC's/GMCs. T6 Riptides? Fail to save that Rad Cleanser wound and you're down to T3 when you get charged buddy! HELLO INSTANT DEATH FROM S6 CC ATTACKS!

Take Breaching Charges as points allow for an at-initiative S8 Ap2 CC Blast Weapon (because why not LOL!?) and Phosphex Bombs as you see fit since you can shoot up to 2 weapons when geared up as above for an S5 Ap2 Poisoned 3+ Small Blast in addition to whatever else you'd want to shoot.

Or, if AV is a problem, take a Graviton Gun for a 3" Haywire Blast that causes Difficult/Dangerous Terrain until your next turn.

It gets expensive fast though! Those upgrades ain't cheap and the Phosphex and Breaching Charges are One-Use.

If you want Ranged Pew Pew he can take a Conversion Beamer but you'd be trading the Machinator Array for it (which is a big no-no for me for this build in particular).

Hmm, that does sound like it would get expensive fast, and if he could transfer his wrecker ability maybe a limit on the guns I give him would be for the best...

Does the transfer work through occulus thingies?

Hope that helps!

Thats actually an Archmagos Reductor that clocks in at 235 points plus weapons. Very tough but expensive. You can give him a body guard of Scyllax or Tech Priest Auxillia that takes up the same HQ slot instead of a troop choice.

In the red book the archmagos has a 2+ save, not 3+. And he hasn't got tank hunter when I remember correctly

He gets Master of Destruction which gives him Sunder and +1 on vehicle and building damage tables. Instead of firing he may confer it to a friendly vehicle or unit within six".

there are multiple different versions of the Magos in the red book.

Normal Taghmata list - Magos Prime, Archmagos Prime, Magus Dominus

Cybernetica lists - Magos Prime, Archmagos Prime, Magus Dominus, Archmagos Dominus Cybernetica only

Reductor lists - Magos Prime, Archmagos Prime, Magus Dominus, Magos Reductor, Archmagos Reductor

The Archmagos Reductor I built for my reductor army, Has an Abeyant/Cyber-familiar/Machinator Array/Mastercrafted/Paragon Blade/Power Fist, all for 260 pts.

Makes him ws5  bs5  str5  t6*  w4*  I4  2attacks base  ld10  2+armour, 3+invulnerable.   Very Tough and Able to dish out decent pain in melee.

The Archmagos Reductor I built for my reductor army, Has an Abeyant/Cyber-familiar/Machinator Array/Mastercrafted/Paragon Blade/Power Fist, all for 260 pts.

Makes him ws5  bs5  str5  t6*  w4*  I4  2attacks base  ld10  2+armour, 3+invulnerable.   Very Tough and Able to dish out decent pain in melee.

Do you field him allone?

The "problem" I have, is that I do not know whom to attach him to.

Thrall are just meh... Thallax and Usarax want to jump around... Myrmidons want to shoot at stuff and stay out of combat... Castellax make the most sense in my opinion, but then you need a Cortex Controller and it is not very Reductor-Like, is it?

Do you field him allone?

The "problem" I have, is that I do not know whom to attach him to.

Thrall are just meh... Thallax and Usarax want to jump around... Myrmidons want to shoot at stuff and stay out of combat... Castellax make the most sense in my opinion, but then you need a Cortex Controller and it is not very Reductor-Like, is it?

Only a Dominus can join Castellax. Myrmidon Destructors have powerfists and share their preferred enemy, so they are the unit of choice for me. Plus, the Magos can do some pretty good tanking for them.

Archived