Path of Heaven - Discussion

b1soul

Apart from him encouraging Von Kalda, scheming behind Eidolon's back, taking part in the action and what not. There were plenty of characters with lesser roles than him. He filled out the command structure of the ECs under Eidolon, and did a good job representing the ambitious nature of the ECs.

Disagree...Eidolon, Von Kalda, and Cario were sufficient and more memorable.

None of Konenos' scheming was significant or made him memorable

Konenos just felt like a lesser Eidolon who was simply there to serve as host.

I've finally finished the book. My god, what a total drag! The first two thirds basically go on and on and on about things that don't matter and then the story is part rescued by the realisations that:

That Horus knows that The Emperor is very difficult to kill fully without him reincarnating.

To kill him "properly" so that he can't "cling to his shrivelled soul"

and also that The Emperor's Webway project was not just Terra based but that he has designed and built other "thrones" in order to connect up the Webway so that humanities reliance on the warp was reduced.

Other than that. Terrible. The Scars were shown to be constantly out performed and dying in their droves.

We agree to disagree, sir. Among a lot of things I liked about the book, I for one very much liked the parts involving the Navigators. They're a big, secretive, overlooked part of the Imperium and hearing a little about their knowledge of the warp was very interesting to me. (So, they know the Emperor as The Cartomancer. Intriguing.)

It's confirmed Horus believes that, at least.

So I fight for a Father who I never loved, against a brother that I did. I defend an empire that never wanted me against an army that would have taken me in a heartbeat.

And yet the oath had been made. The promise could not be broken.

Beautiful.

We agree to disagree, sir. Among a lot of things I liked about the book, I for one very much liked the parts involving the Navigators. They're a big, secretive, overlooked part of the Imperium and hearing a little about their knowledge of the warp was very interesting to me. (So, they know the Emperor as The Cartomancer. Intriguing.)

Yes, that whole Webway part was very interesting. It had a nod towards the fate that awaits Malcador (albeit on a more powerful scale). It seems logical and believable that the Navigators would be opposed to His plans. Being the Cartomancer also shows he was many things to many people. Omnissiah to some, Cartomancer to map the web way to others. I can only guess that the idea would be to have multiple Dark Glass stations around the Galaxy meaning speedy travel for all.

It also showed that the Human parts of the Webway were broken, otherwise the tunnels themselves are meant to be completely sealed off from the Warp meaning no Daemons.

It's fine to disagree, I just found most of the rest of this book to be dragged out drivel. Some nice eater eggs of information and lore though.

Well, Vulkan being a Perpetual is canon.

Therefore, they needed to mention that the Emperor might come back as well after being killed as Vulkan inherited that ability.

I've been listening to this over the past two days and have to admit it has me chomping at the bit for more, I'm only just at chapter 20 but the tension really has me on edge!

Having really enjoyed Scars and Brotherhood of the Storm it has been quite jarring to see what has happened to the WS after 4 years of grinding war... silly i know to hope it would be a walk in the park for them to take the fight to the traitors and not feel the repercussions but it almost feels like a different legion.

The small glances into the mind of ‎Jaghatai has been quite fascinating too... the way he has poured over his memories of the Emperor and their conversations to divine meaning, it's gripping stuff. This subsequently had me wondering if any of the traitor Primarchs attempted such deep reflection? I can only assume that chaos more than likely would taint their perspective but i sometimes have to wonder why Lorgar and his Word Bearers never stopped to ask themselves just once why the Emperor lied to them about the truth of the warp. They almost seemed willing to embrace chaos and all the horror that goes with it without even a second thought to question why they were lied to.

Alas i digress! If this and Pharos before it represents the current quality of the HH then i cannot wait to see how Angels of Caliban and Praetorian of Dorn turn out, on with the show as they say!! smile.png

I've finally finished the book. My god, what a total drag! The first two thirds basically go on and on and on about things that don't matter a

Other than that. Terrible. The Scars were shown to be constantly out performed and dying in their droves.

A few responses to ur points:

1. It would be hard for the Vth to do well against 4 Traitor Legions trying to trap and destroy it.

In the end, the were still being outnumbered by the DG and a large portion of the EC.

2. That said, I didn't like how Shiban's "Shackles" weakened him to the point he was no real threat to Cario.

In the end, he kills Cario...but purely through good luck

You'd think his Shackles would at least make him stronger and more durable...but Cario is described as being better than him in every way.

3. 1st third of the book was an info-dump but I think it really picked up after that

Whilst it probably is intended to elude to the Emperor being able to reincarnate, the passage in question does not say as much as is suggested here.

We know from VS that Horus was told that the Emperor stole his powers (or some element of his powers) from the chaos gods.

We know from the Oll story in Mark of Calth that Oll knew the Emperor to be perpetual. Oll seemed to believe that the Emperor was exceptional because of his vision rather than any innate ability.

I don't think the verse in question suggests that Horus knows the Emperor can reincarnate but rather that he is simply hard to kill. I think the reincarnation angle comes from the reader's knowledge of other mentions from the series and the lore. Doesn't mean it's wrong though.

Finished the audio book version. I really wish the reader didn't make voices for the characters they all sounded terrible.

Other then that was a good story, slow start but a strong finish.

Mort and the death guard need there own book. Want to read some crazy death shroud and grave warden action. Hopefully Typhon comes off as a crazy awesome legionary.

Mort and the death guard need there own book. Want to read some crazy death shroud and grave warden action. Hopefully Typhon comes off as a crazy awesome legionary.

Hear, hear!

It's my hope that with this new primarchs series BL's doing, Wraight does the Mortarion book in the series. It would be such a great chance for him to build up the past of the Death Guard and give us some real insight into why Mortarion and so much of the Legion made its choices, explore some motivations. Felt like Flight of the Eisenstein missed that chance by miles, although back then it was just exciting to see Heresy stories at all. It's only a flaw in retrospect. 

He's also done the Leman Russ entry in the series that's coming out soon so he's definitely on to a new, unknown writing project by now. IT'S NOT AN IMPOSSIBLE DREAM

Just finished it, thought it was excellent, a fitting sequel to Scars. It's also the first HH book I've shed actual tears over. I hope Wraight does a Death Guard book following from this with Mortarion reuniting with Typhon and maybe even their journey to Terra and their metamorphosis.

Glad to know Jubal Khan finaly makes his appearance! He has been called one of the best swordsman of all the legions.

Has he made a good impression on those who have read the book?

Jubal is not a swordsman and he doesn't display his skills in the book.

Templar has him bloody Sigismund's face (with a kick) and also break Sigismund's sword chain...but he eventually loses. To pull that off, it's clear that he's up there

"He suspected the number of Legiones Astartes warriors capable of besting him numbered fewer than twenty across all the Legions. Ezekyle Abaddon of the traitorous Sons was one; Jubal Khan of the Scars another; and Templar Sigismund of the Fists definitely another."
- Savage Weapons

I really wish the reader didn't make voices for the characters they all sounded terrible.

Bad Asian accents when Scars speak Gothic?

John Banks was the narrator and he used a similar accent for the Whit Scars as he did for the Knight Lords in Pharos which sounds Eastern European... for my ears it was a little jarring at first as the accent is neither soft or friendly. He dropped the accent for those White Scars who were Terran born though. Jonathan Keeble did a great job with Scars and Brotherhood of the Storm and his accent does sound Asian but also cultured.

By the end of the book John had really settled into the use of the accent though, in some of the emotionally charged action scenes (especially with ‎Jaghatai!) he was really bellowing out war cries as if he was there happy.png

John Banks was the narrator and he used a similar accent for the Whit Scars as he did for the Knight Lords in Pharos which sounds Eastern European... for my ears it was a little jarring at first as the accent is neither soft or friendly. He dropped the accent for those White Scars who were Terran born though. Jonathan Keeble did a great job with Scars and Brotherhood of the Storm and his accent does sound Asian but also cultured.

By the end of the book John had really settled into the use of the accent though, in some of the emotionally charged action scenes (especially with ‎Jaghatai!) he was really bellowing out war cries as if he was there ^_^

I am only familiar with one White Scars voice . . . Jubal in John French's Templar audiobook. I thought his accent was overdone

By the end of the book John had really settled into the use of the accent though, in some of the emotionally charged action scenes (especially with ‎Jaghatai!) he was really bellowing out war cries as if he was there happy.png

I am only familiar with one White Scars voice . . . Jubal in John French's Templar audiobook. I thought his accent was overdone

Hmmmm, i think that was either Chris Fairbank or Jamie Parker. I don't think they have done any other White Scars voice work but can't be sure. The accent used in Templar is similar to Jonathan Keeble's but a little rougher, then again audiodramas have a different sound to them than audiobooks.

Toby Longworth had an interesting take on the accent too for the Master of the Hunt 40K audiodrama which i thought was quite good.

U've made me really wanna listen to the BotS and Scars audios

haha, if you do i hope you enjoy! smile.png

Before going into Path of Heaven i re-marrathoned the WS "series" of Audios as i have it laid out in my itunes and at last count there are 6 different takes on the Chogorian accent during the Heresy. As audiobooks are my primary method of following 40k fiction this can make things a little disjointed. Jonathan Keeble is by far my favourite, but then it helps that to my ears he has a very diverse range and has done some stellar voice work for Black Library over the years... The Talon of Horus, Damnation of Pythos & Hellsreach being fine examples.

One thing i will say about Brotherhood of the Storm is that Black Library made a very strange decision, certainly in terms of audiobooks, in casting two actors for this novella. Jonathan Keeble voices the chapters focusing on Shiban and Targutai while Penelope Rawlins handles the chapters concerning Ilya Ravallion. While she carries the same style of eastern accent as Keeble it was a bit of a face palm moment for me when she jumps into male voice for Shiban, Jaghatai and Horus! Repeat listens certainly have made it easier. I was surprised by this as Keeble handled her character just fine when voicing Scars which was released as an audio before Brotherhood of the Storm.

On a separate note re Path of Heaven if i was to focus on one criticism it would be that i would of liked to have seen a little more of the action & loss over the 4 year period after Scars... maybe in the form of after action reports from the perspective of Ilya or Shiban, a Novella similar to Brotherhood of the Storm could of handled this quite well and helped set things up re the slow change of character for the legion. Seeing the Scars in action against the Sons of Horus would have been pretty awesome, anything to see them taken down a peg or two by the Khan and his legion would of been great! biggrin.png

Archived