Tanks based on the Chimera hull (trying to compile a list)

malika666

Hi everybody,

I've been a bit on the look out for vehicles based on the Chimera hull. Lexicanum has an extensive list, but there's probably more out there.

40k Wikia mentions variants such as the Chimerax, Chimedon, and Chimerro. I assume these were sort of 'semi' official? Where were these ever published?

What about the BL novels and FFG books, do they have any weird vehicles variants (preferably based on existing hulls such as the Rhino, Chimera, and Leman Russ)?

Chimera Chassis:

Chimera APC

Hellhound/Devil Dog/Bane Wolf

Basilisk

Medusa

Griffon

Wyvern

Hydra

Salamander Command/Scout

Trojan

Manticore

Deathstrike

I think that about covers it between Codex and IA. That's all that's been in 40k IIRC.

I do recall such a thing as a 'Medicae Chimera'. Whether or not this is a proper variant, I do not know. It could simply be the case that it's a regular Chimera reserved for the Medicae (and perhaps even marked as such).

Any others from the BL books or Fantasy Flight Games material?

@Ulrik_Ironfist: thanks for the list by the way!

You're quite welcome. I don't know about BL variants, but I can tell you this, the chimera and leman russ are used by the Imperial guard much the same way the US military uses the M1, M2, and M113 chassis. If you can think of a use, they probably have a purpose built variant for it.

Thinking about using a kit or two to make some artillery tractors out of them, a bit of plasticard and some HWS bits, and you have a great salamander/centaur stand in.

the chimera and leman russ are used by the Imperial guard much the same way the US military uses the M1, M2, and M113 chassis.

???  I think the M113 is an excellent example, I could rattle off maybe ten variants and not get them all...and the M2/M3, ok, you have the standard version, the scout version, the forward observer version, and the air defense version, so that's a sale...but Abrams variants beyond the "kill people and break things" standard MBT?  Yeah, there are differences in optics and armor packages and stuff, but there's really only the "proper tank" variant when you get down to it.  I know, they designed a wrecker based on the chassis, but they didn't end up buying it, and that's really the only "variant" I can think of, and it never entered service.  The difference between, for example, M1A1 and M1A2, that's more like the difference between mars pattern and ryza pattern...it's not a variant, a variant does a different job.  JMHO, YMMV

@March10k: I know they made the "Wolverine" variant of the Abrams that was built for bridging. Has a big bridge on top instead of a turret. I think it can span something like sixty feet. The US Marines are getting an engineering variant as well.

The Chimedon looks like a lot of fun ... is that a battle cannon?

Hmm...I thought the wolverine was the recovery vehicle...either way, neither was fielded!  I've not heard of the recce version for the marines...I'll look that up

/edit/So there is a bridger and a special one for the marines (the marine special is an obstacle breacher, not a recon vehicle), but they made like 40 of each, compared to 10,000+ standard Abrams...I dunno about the marine breacher tank, but the army bridger has only been given to a few engineer units (not tactical ones attached to combat units, either) and never deployed.  Not saying they don't exist, just saying they're not much more than demonstration projects.

@March10k: I know they made the "Wolverine" variant of the Abrams that was built for bridging. Has a big bridge on top instead of a turret. I think it can span something like sixty feet. The US Marines are getting an engineering variant as well.

The Chimedon normally had a Conqueror Cannon.

The point I was trying to make for all the tread heads was that the Chimera is an incredibly versatile chassis. There are possibly innumerable variants that we've probably never seen due to their uselessness on the tabletop. Honestly, what would you use a bridger variant do on the tabletop? For that matter, what exactly would an engineer tank do for you that a standard tank wouldn't? Doze blade and short range destructive cannon? Demolisher anyone? Some tanks just don't need to be made, except as show pieces...

The Chimedon normally had a Conqueror Cannon.

I hadn't heard of it before, had to look it up. Essentially an Autocannon that fires a small blast ... very interesting.

The Chimerdon has a short barrelled battle cannon similar to the battle cannons on a Stormhammer* replacing it's multilaser. It's also noted as having a lack of bolters (this was pre-40k Chimera model, so I'd theorise that it should be a lack of lasguns instead as the Chimerdon model clearly still has the hull heavy bolter). The conqueror cannon is also a shorter barelled version of the battle cannon, so it's entirely possible that a modern Chimerdon would have a conqueror cannon.

The Chimerax has four light autocannons replacing is multilaser. It doesn't have any kind of advanced tracking for anti-air duties.

The Chimerro has an auto-loading hunter killer missile alongside it's multilaser.

All of the Chimera variants mentioned here have the same transport capacity as a regular Chimera (2 stands in Titan Legions, the only game they ever had rules for).

* this is the older 40k Stormhammer that had four short barelled battle cannons, as opposed to the more modern Solar Auxillia Stormhammer that has a stormhammer cannon and two battle cannons.

Sources: UK WD 185, Chimera Assault! article & Imperial Armour Volume One (first edition) Leman Russ Conqueror unit entry.

Archived