Horus Heresy numbered book rankings

Midgard

As I finished reading "Deathfire", and with "War Without End" and "Pharos" on my to-read list, I was inspired to put together my current rankings of the numbered Horus Heresy books. Instead of going for the purely numerical order, I thought to organize the books in tiers, from the top-tier works all the way to the few that were, for the lack of a better term, seriously lacking.

These rankings are subject to change as more books come out, or as my (admittedly subjective) rankings are influenced by my mood at a given moment. I put most of the anthologies in the "average" category, as they typically had both highlights and moments of mediocrity; the sole exception "Shadows of Treachery" got additional marks thanks to two excellent novella-length works ("Crimson Fist" and "Prince of Crows"). The non-numbered novels/novellas in the series remain unranked (including two Tallarn novels and the Betrayal at Calth tie-in novels/novellas, which I have, but have not yet finished reading). My rankings are in the context of the overall Horus Heresy series and books published by Black Library - i.e. 10/10 means an excellent Horus Heresy novel, not necessarily indicative of a literary masterpiece to be remembered with the great literary classics centuries from now (though it does not mean that it is not a good book on its own merits). The numeric ratings are a range of where these works fall, in my humble opinion, in the grand scheme of the Heresy series.

Here are my rankings... what are yours?

EDIT: The rankings below have been updated with "Pharos", "The Path of Heaven" (both good/above average, sometimes bordering on very good), and "The Eye of Terra" (average, often bordering on good). Next up: "The Silent War", then "Angels of Caliban", when I get to them.

EDIT 2:  Updated with "The Silent War" and "Angels of Caliban" (both good/above average).

Top Tier (9.5/10 to 10/10)

Horus Rising

Legion

The First Heretic

Know No Fear

A Thousand Sons

Very Good, Borderline Top Tier (9/10)

Betrayer

Prospero Burns

False Gods

Good, Solid, Above Average (7.5/10 to just below 9/10)

Galaxy in Flames

The Flight of the Eisenstein

Fulgrim

Nemesis

The Outcast Dead

Shadows of Treachery (anthology)

Vulkan Lives

The Unremembered Empire

Scars

Vengeful Spirit

Pharos

The Path of Heaven

Angels of Caliban

The Silent War

Average, Median (7/10 - the "baseline" for Horus Heresy series quality)

Angel Exterminatus

Tales of Heresy (anthology)

Legacies of Betrayal (anthology)

Age of Darkness (anthology)

Mark of Calth (anthology)

The Primarchs (anthology)

The Eye of Terra (anthology)

Decent, Acceptable Quality, Somewhat Flawed (6/10 to just below 7/10)

Mechanicum

Descent of Angels

Deathfire

Fallen Angels

Fear to Tread

The Damnation of Pythos

Flawed, Mediocre to Bad (below 6/10)

Battle for the Abyss

Deliverance Lost

For me I think it'd currently be:

Outstanding (10/10)

The First Heretic

Excellent (9/10)

Know No Fear

Scars

Prospero Burns

Betrayer

Fulgrim

A Thousand Sons

Good (8/10)

Legion

Pharos

Horus Rising

War Without End (anthology)

Vengeful Spirit

Mechanicum

The Damnation of Pythos

Fear to Tread

Okay (7/10)

Flight of the Eisenstein

Eye of Terra (anthology)

Legacies of Betrayal (anthology)

Age of Darkness (anthology)

Mark of Calth (anthology)

Tales of Heresy (anthology)

Shadows of Treachery (anthology)

Galaxy in Flames

Deliverance Lost

Mixed, some bad some good (6/10)

Angel Exterminatus

Unremembered Empire

Deathfire

Nemesis

Poor (5/10 + 4/10)

Fallen Angels

The Outcast Dead

Vulkan Lives

Terrible (3/10 - 1/10)

Battle For the Abyss

False Gods

Descent of Angels

(9.5-10/10) A Masterpiece

The First Heretic

(8.5-9/10) A Fantastic Book

Scars

Praetorian of Dorn

The Path of Heaven

A Thousand Sons

Prospero Burns

Betrayer

(7.5-8/10) A Good Book

Fulgrim

Horus Rising

Know no Fear

False Gods

Legion

(7/10) A Flawed Gem

Flight of the Eisenstein

Galaxy in Flames

Pharos

The Unremembered Empire

-CUTOFF FOR HARDBACK PURCHASE-

(7/10) A Flawed Gem

Shadows of Treachery

(6.5/10) An Enjoyable Read

Fear to Tread

Tales of Heresy

Age of Darkness

The Primarchs

(5.5-6/10) A Decent Book

Nemesis

Fallen Angels

Angel Exterminatus

The Damnation of Pythos

Mark of Calth

Legacies of Betrayal

(4.5-5/10) A Mediocre Book

Mechanicum

Descent of Angels

(4/10) A Poor Book

Vengeful Spirit

Deliverance Lost

I would put Scars and UE way above Nemesis and Outcast Dead

My top tier would be...

Horus Rising

Legion

Know No Fear

Scars

First Heretic

Betrayer

Right below that...

A Thousand Sons

Prospero Burns

Unremembered Empire

Primarchs anthology is top tier  for me, simply because it's contain 'Serpent Beneath' - the best AL story in all the BL history as a publisher.

Plus to the definite top tier we could add Horus Rising; Legion; Scars; First Heretic and some very splendid novellas. Like Purge or Wolf KIng - which were beyond awesome

My favorite short stories would be Blood Games and Little Horus ... very, very cool

Grey Talon by Wraight is very good too

Abnett really gets Custodes and White Scars.

His "flesh-spare" Bion Henricos was such a badass IH character

EDIT: Oh yeah...even though I'm not a fan of Curze, Sevatar, or the VIIIth, the prose of Savage Weapons and Prince of Crows is superb. ADB has a way with words.

Unremembered Empire = the book that stopped me from reading any more.  I have read every HH book/novela up to Unremembered Empire point.  What was it 4  or 5 Primarchs on the same planet at once.

Top;

Horus Rising

False Gods

Galaxy in Flames

Legion

The First Heretic

A Thousand Sons

Mid:

Betrayer

Prospero Burns

Fulgrim

Nemesis

The Outcast Dead

Mechanicum

Low/forget about it:

the rest of the list.

Very Good:

Horus Rising

False Gods

Galaxy in Flames

Legion

The First Heretic

Know No Fear

A Thousand Sons

Prospero Burns

Betrayer

The Unremembered Empire

Scars

Vengeful Spirit

Mechanicum

Good:

The Outcast Dead

Vulkan Lives

Deathfire

Fear to Tread

Descent of Angels

Fallen Angels

Acceptable:

Fulgrim

Nemesis

Angel Exterminatus

Deliverance Lost

Poor:

The Damnation of Pythos

Battle for the Abyss

I'm gonna try but may miss some. This is a nice procrastination exercise while my work glares at me, demanding attention. So, thanks for that:)

Horus Rising

Legion

The First Heretic

Know No Fear

A Thousand Sons

Betrayer

Unremembered Empire

Fulgrim

False Gods

Prospero Burns

Galaxy in Flames

Descent of Angels (stand alone)

Vulkan Lives

Scars

Vengeful Spirit

Angel Exterminatus

Deliverance Lost

Pharos

The Outcast Dead

Mechanicum

Nemesis

Deathfire

Fallen Angels

Fear to Tread

Vulkan Lives

Battle for the Abyss

Damnation of Pythos

• 2 months later...

It's fun seeing just how diverse the readership is. I don't think there's any true consistency here beyond "Horus Rising is good."

It may be interesting to list how we rank authors as well as novels.

It's fun seeing just how diverse the readership is. I don't think there's any true consistency here beyond "Horus Rising is good."

I haven't read many of the HH books, but I just picked up (and read) the Crusade's end omnibus (the first 3 books + 3 short stories) and I loved it. Read vengeful spirit before that. meh (but a neat ending, the BA got screwed over though). Read Mechanicum first. I really liked it. Just seeing the God-Machines walk was enough to make me giggle with glee.

Oh, and I got Tales of Heresy just to have the story "The Last Church"

Spoiler (not really): the Emperor acts kinda like a Heretic. *head explodes*

I haven't read many of the HH books, but I just picked up (and read) the Crusade's end omnibus (the first 3 books + 3 short stories) and I loved it. Read vengeful spirit before that. meh (but a neat ending, the BA got screwed over though). Read Mechanicum first. I really liked it. Just seeing the God-Machines walk was enough to make me giggle with glee.

The Last Church is great, though I thought After De'shea was even better. Still all kinds of disappointed Matthew Farrer didn't do more in the series.

Machanicum has grown on me since I read it, though i still think the first 2 thirds are clunky (And yes Graham, I know what Mars looks like, you don't have to devote a flowery paragraph to its landscape every chapter.) The last third totally makes up for it though.

It also sounds like you have a serious shortage of ADB. I recommend 30 cc of The First Heretic, stat.

IT's still the best short story in HH, all BL, imo

• 1 month later...

I have chosen my top 10 though my top 10 has been heavily influenced by this years steller releases!!!

Vengeful Spirit

Angels of Caliban

Path of Heaven

Praetorian of Dorn

Prospero Burns

Thousand Sons

Scars

Betrayer

Know no Fear

Legion

Runners up would be

Tallern Ironclad

Mechcanicum

If I had to pick 5 Novellas

Wolf king

The seventh serpent

The Purge

Aurelian

Cybernetica

I've just started the Horus Heresy series with Horus Rising, however as an RG fan I was going to get Deliverance Lost next. Now I know what happens exactly but why on every list and review I see/hear is it rated so badly? ( Majority of the ratings above have it rock bottom).

Is the author/writing bad or just the overall premise of the novel?

Edit: As an aside will picking books to read that are much further on in the series have much effect? I want to get Praetorian of Dorn but would I be out of the loop so to speak if I picked it up?

Updating my list now.

Horus Rising

Legion

The First Heretic

Know No Fear

A Thousand Sons

Betrayer

Unremembered Empire

Path of Heaven

Praetorian of Dorn

Fulgrim

False Gods

Prospero Burns

Galaxy in Flames

Descent of Angels (stand alone)

Vulkan Lives

Scars

Vengeful Spirit

Angel Exterminatus

Deliverance Lost

Pharos

Lighting Tower/Dark King

Angels of Caliban

The Outcast Dead

Mechanicum

Nemesis

Deathfire

Fallen Angels

Fear to Tread

Vulkan Lives

Battle for the Abyss

Damnation of Pythos

I've just started the Horus Heresy series with Horus Rising, however as an RG fan I was going to get Deliverance Lost next. Now I know what happens exactly but why on every list and review I see/hear is it rated so badly? ( Majority of the ratings above have it rock bottom).

Edit: As an aside will picking books to read that are much further on in the series have much effect? I want to get Praetorian of Dorn but would I be out of the loop so to speak if I picked it up?

Deliverance Lost is a prime case of a good premise hurt by a mediocre author. Gav's delivery (hoi hoi) turned what should have been an interesting read into a bit of a slog. Unless you hold strong allegiance to the old Raven Guard fluff, then it will be even worse. If you want some Raven Guard, give his short stories a try. I found most of them much more bearable.

I don't think there's any novel that really needs prior knowledge to enjoy. I'd say that if you aren't too concerned with order, try and at least go in the order particular authors wrote books. (eg: Aaron didn't write anything before The First Heretic, so you could read that whenever. But then he wrote Betrayer, which i'd recommend reading after The First Heretic).

Also I'd recommend the first 3 in order before you start branching.

Personally I have no big problem with Deliverance Lost. I can see why some do, but to me it was fine. It's not the best, and I do feel Gav isn't as good at the others as giving a legion a clear identity, they do come off a lot of the time as just "black coloured space marines". But I've read it through twice and neither time felt it to be a chore. I did enjoy it less the second time, because I could see more of that lack of legion culture, and I could see some plot points with issues. But I also don't feel it ruins the RG story or anything.

Deliverance Lost is a prime case of a good premise hurt by a mediocre author. Gav's delivery (hoi hoi) turned what should have been an interesting read into a bit of a slog. Unless you hold strong allegiance to the old Raven Guard fluff, then it will be even worse. If you want some Raven Guard, give his short stories a try. I found most of them much more bearable.

I don't think there's any novel that really needs prior knowledge to enjoy. I'd say that if you aren't too concerned with order, try and at least go in the order particular authors wrote books. (eg: Aaron didn't write anything before The First Heretic, so you could read that whenever. But then he wrote Betrayer, which i'd recommend reading after The First Heretic).

Also I'd recommend the first 3 in order before you start branching.

Thanks for the reply. I actually find any short stories concerning the RG quite tiresome. The whole sneakiness theme has been done to death. OK we know they're the most adept at that style but they're also perhaps the 2nd most tactical and flexible Legion, behind the obvious UM and tied with Alpha Legion IMO. Corax did best Guilliman tactically and strategically at one point in those simulation things.

I'll stick to the author's own timeline of writing so I guess. Thanks. Yep I was planning on reading the first 3 as I've seen that advised all the time.

Personally I have no big problem with Deliverance Lost. I can see why some do, but to me it was fine. It's not the best, and I do feel Gav isn't as good at the others as giving a legion a clear identity, they do come off a lot of the time as just "black coloured space marines". But I've read it through twice and neither time felt it to be a chore. I did enjoy it less the second time, because I could see more of that lack of legion culture, and I could see some plot points with issues. But I also don't feel it ruins the RG story or anything.

As I've said above I'm annoyed they've never been expanded past stealth or sneaking about. Every short story or novella is something along the lines of...... 

"The enemy are entrenched. OK let's sneak up on them."

"The enemy are not entrenched. OK let's sneak up on them."

"The enemy aren't here. OK let's find them and then sneak up on them."

As I've said above I'm annoyed they've never been expanded past stealth or sneaking about. Every short story or novella is something along the lines of......

"The enemy are entrenched. OK let's sneak up on them."

"The enemy are not entrenched. OK let's sneak up on them."

"The enemy aren't here. OK let's find them and then sneak up on them."

Exactly! Sneaky sneaking ravens everywhere biggrin.png

Archived