The Road to ETL V & Ultrameet '16 - Funky basing [14/04]

Dosjetka

It has been a decade since I started this hobby. Ten years of hoarding plastic and resin sprues, of aborted projects and procrastination, of capriciousness and countless test models.

It has also been seven tenths of a decade that I have been a member of this forum. Seven years of ambitious promises and failed vows, of ceaseless teasing and attempted rebuttals, of ten-post-long threads and frustration at yet another project change.

This all ends now. No more shall I succeed my vows as often as I finish my Brussel sprouts. No more shall I be known as the one who cannot sit down and paint an army, once and for all. No more shall I be known as Oath Breaker.

E Tenebrae Lux V begins in a month's time and Ultrameet '16 is planned for the beginning of July. It is now time for me to get my arse into gear, stock up on glue, undercoat sprays and paints, to sharpen my X-acto blades and clean my brushes, to assemble a host of Space Marines that shall be fully painted by the beginning of summer in time for both the end of ETL and the Ultrameet.

++] I, Dosjetka, Moderati Cedo of the Bolter and Chainsword, Son of Dorn and Scion of the Emperor, do swear to fully paint a Blood Angels army by 9th July 2016 of a minimum point value of 500 points. I do so swear before my fellow Frater, witnesses of this solemn vow, and in the names of Dorn, Sanguinius, and the Holy Emperor of Mankind. Failure is not an option and so shall remain unmentioned. Ave Imperator! [++

To demonstrate my resolve to complete my vow, I present to you a picture of Tactical Squad Leonatos, 4th unit of the Blood Angels' 5th Company.

gallery_45765_11907_109061.png

I won't state what has been stated before laugh.png but here's to getting the first 500 points done. It's always the hurdle in starting a (new) army laugh.png

I look forward to the project you'll start next month after you change your mind again. :P

But in all seriousness, I look forward to seeing what you've got in store with this army. I'm sure you'll do justice to the Chapter with your skill with a brush. For Sangunius and the Emperor and a' tha'.

It has been a decade since I started this hobby. Ten years of hoarding plastic and resin sprues, of aborted projects and procrastination, of capriciousness and countless test models.

It has also been seven tenths of a decade that I have been a member of this forum. Seven years of ambitious promises and failed vows, of ceaseless teasing and attempted rebuttals, of ten-post-long threads and frustration at yet another project change.

This all ends. No more shall I succeed my vows as often as I finish my Brussel sprouts. No more shall I be known as the one who cannot sit down and paint an army, once and for all. No more shall I be known as Oath Breaker.

E Tenebrae Lux V begins in a month's time and Ultrameet '16 is planned for the beginning of July. It is now time for me to get my arse into gear, stock up on glue, undercoat sprays and paints, to sharpen my X-acto blades and clean my brushes, to assemble a host of Space Marines that shall be fully painted by the beginning of summer in time for both the end of ETL and the Ultrameet.

++] I, Dosjetka, Moderati Cedo of the Bolter and Chainsword, Son of Dorn and Scion of the Emperor, do swear to fully paint a Blood Angels army by 9th July 2016 of a minimum point value of 500 points. I do so swear before my fellow Frater, witnesses of this solemn vow, and in the names of Dorn, Sanguinius, and the Holy Emperor of Mankind. Failure is not an option and so shall remain unmentioned. Ave Imperator! [++

To demonstrate my resolve to complete my vow, I present to you a picture of Tactical Squad Leonatos, 4th unit of the Blood Angels' 5th Company.

gallery_45765_11907_109061.png

An admirable aim brother. I too have been guilty of that which you describe. I will watch with interest. I think you should post your planned list.

Squad Leonatos? Surely this should be a Command squad on the hunt for the Blade Encarmine? tongue.png Can't wait to see this smile.png

If that is the case, then surely one of them should be armed with a powerfist and axe combo tongue.png (here comes the Cloten Train).

http://orig04.deviantart.net/1fe5/f/2012/105/7/9/cloten_the_rapetrain_by_rumbles-d4w7v28.jpg

Jokes aside, really digging the look of this squad and wish you the Emperor's blessing in your endeveour.

This looks to be awesome, dude! As a fellow hobby ADD sufferer, I know what you mean about only being able to paint a few models per "project." The ETL definitely helps to get the motivation burning, and it helps you're getting a bit of a jump on it. I found with my Night Lords that it helped with burn-out to keep each dude fairly unique, which it looks like you've nailed with these 5 guys (even though they are disgusting loyalists tongue.png ). Keep it up, man!

You can do it!!! Although now that you're doing Blood Angels I don't think I want to bleed on you in retaliation for your SOH betrayal. It might be bad to my long term health....

Loving the duel wielding!!!

Wow! I wasn't expecting such a large and enthusiastic response! Thank you! smile.png Answers after the update!

Right, so I did a bit of rummaging around and shopping. You can see the result below.

gallery_45765_11907_279971.png

I unearthed a Rhino which has already been undercoated white. I'll just need to find the two "turret" pieces and it'll be ready for paint!

gallery_45765_11907_543818.png

I got a Razorback instead of a Rhino because it was only slightly more expensive and I can swap out the top hatch whenever I need a Razorback! Also I figured that getting the BA upgrade pack was a natural thing to do. msn-wink.gif

gallery_45765_11907_406500.png

Corax White spray for the undercoat, Druchii Violet for shading the armour and gold parts, Lahmian Medium to dilute stuff when water isn't the appropriate medium!

Col.hertford suggested that I should add a list of what I'm intending to paint and since it's something I hadn't thought of (d'oh!), I've added it below.

+++ [ETL/Ultrameet] Blood Angels (750pts) +++

++ Blood Angels: Codex (2014) (Combined Arms Detachment) (750pts) ++

+ (No Category) +

Relics and Detachment-rules
··Codex: Blood Angels [baal Strike Force]

Sanguinary Discipline

+ HQ (105pts) +

Librarian (105pts) [bolt Pistol, Force Weapon, Frag and Krak grenades, Jump pack, Psychic Hood, Psyker (ML2), Warlord]

+ Elites (140pts) +

Death Company Squad (140pts) [4x Bolt Pistol, Bolter, 4x Chainsword, 5x Death Company Marine, Frag and Krak grenades, Jump Pack, Power Fist]

+ Troops (505pts) +

Tactical Squad (155pts) [Frag and Krak grenades, Heavy flamer, 4x Tactical Marine]
··Rhino [Overcharged engines, Searchlight, Smoke launchers, Storm Bolter]
··Tactical Sergeant [2x Hand Flamer, Veteran Sergeant]

Tactical Squad (175pts) [Frag and Krak grenades, Plasma gun, 4x Tactical Marine]
··Tactical Sergeant [Grav-pistol, Melta Bombs, Plasma Pistol, Veteran Sergeant]

Tactical Squad (175pts) [Frag and Krak grenades, Plasma gun, 4x Tactical Marine]
··Tactical Sergeant [Grav-pistol, Melta Bombs, Plasma Pistol, Veteran Sergeant]

Created with BattleScribe

If all goes well, I should have a second squad assembled by the end of this week. That would be ideal as I'm away on military service for the next month and so time will be somewhat limited!

Aqui: You little... tongue.png Thanks for the encouragement though!

Reyner: Damn und blast! Ah well, it's a cool name so I'll stick with it.

Mol: Thank you! I've PM'd you over on the Ammobunker with an update on the Castigator. Let me know what you think.

Kraut: I could have gone with yellow... tongue.png Thanks, blood-brother!

Psycho: You little... From now on, you're getting zero mercy from me. devil.gif

dss7: I'm not going to fail. Thank you!

Col: Thank you! Got any plans for the ETL?

Soric: You got me at "LEEEEROOOOOOY". laugh.png Awesome; thanks for sharing!

Alan: Thank you, filthy traitor! Much appreciated! smile.png What are your plans for the ETL?

Magnus: Hahaha! Thank you, brother!

jimbo13: I would have restricted your access to the Phalanx if such a thing would have happened. tongue.png

Psycho: You little... From now on, you're getting zero mercy from me. devil.gif

I would expect nothing less from any son of the Imperium. I look forward to all of it, like any son of Dorn would. :P

I'm a bit surprised to see that you're using a white undercoat. I got the impression that you only ever used black primer, probably an idea I got in my head from when you did your Imperial Fist tuto. Also, awesome gunslinger Sergeants are awesome. I guess I didn't quite notice in the original photo, but, yeah, awesome.

Heh. You'll regret ever saying that. msn-wink.gif

And you're completely right. For the record, here's what I said when asked about why I was using a black undercoat for a (half) yellow model.

• Between black and white spray paints, it's the most forgiving (there's less chance of messing up due to sub-optimal weather);
  • I find it a lot easier to put four layers of yellow down over black than I do blacking out small details when I use a white undercoat;
  • More of a challenge.

In this case though, I'm planning on closely following claimh_solais' tutorial which requires the use of a white undercoat. Since the results he has gotten with his recipe are simply gorgeous, I'm not going to even attempt to deviate from the step-by-step he wrote. :)

Glad you like the gunslinger Sergeant. There's another two planned. ;)

Other than enjoying a lovely trip to the dentist and the return of Spring...

http://i.imgur.com/M1AARaA.png

...I tried my hand (again) at basing! Turns out that I have no idea what I'm doing...

gallery_45765_11907_261977.png

But that's all part of the fun... right? ermm.giflaugh.png With a bit of luck it should look better with some paint over it all. If not... well, there's time to think about that later.

Also got a test model undercoated so that as soon as I've got the paints I need I can test out the paint scheme I'm planning on using. Oh and for anyone wondering how good the new Corax White spray is, it's great. Massive improvement over the old Skull White spray.

Archived