Richies Heresy Blog; Ultramarines, Sons Of Horus

richmarine

• 3 weeks later...

A New Year and a couple of new lists to take me to 2K and 2.5K. This year is also going to be the year of games. As I didn’t play much last year. But this year is going to be different.

I have a free postage code and I’m going to use it!!!

Few things.

First up. Thanks to all the reads and comments. It helps the hobby going.

Secondly, I’ve been shading my tanks with an oil wash to add some realism. So sorry in advance for ruining the crisp work with harsh reality of war. Pictures and follow up soon.

Next, I have a master of signal and an apothecary ready to be ultra’d. I also have the primus medicae and another master of signal (thanks to a miscast champion model) for the Sons of Horus.

FYI FW customer service are great!

Finally, I have completed my ZM force of ultramarines and I am now looking to the next 2k. My thinking is to get a javelin and some volkites for a support squad to reach 2K.

For 2.5K I’m thinking of dropping the breachers for a tac squad in a rhino. Then having a second javelin, followed by 2 laser vindicators, a dreadnought drop pod for the CC Contemptor and a Damocles.

I’d like some input if possible. Are laser vindi’s crap, is a Damocles worth it etc.

+++ Ultramarines 2 (Warhammer 30,000 - The Horus Heresy v45) (2000pts)

+++ +++

++ The Age of Darkness (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List

++ v207) ++

+ HQ +

········Legion Centurion [Artificer Armour, Legatine Axe, Melta Bombs, Refractor Field] ············Consul [Chaplain]

········Legion Centurion [Artificer Armour] ············Consul ················Master of Signal [support Officer]

········Legion Praetor [Artificer Armour, Iron Halo, Master of the Legion, Melta Bombs, Paragon Blade]

············Invictarus Suzerain Squad [6x Invictarus Suzerains, Thunderhammer]

················Land Raider Phobos [searchlight and Smoke Launchers, Twin-Linked Lascannon Sponsons]

+ Elites +

········Apothecarion Detachment

············Legion Apothecary

················Additional Wargear [Artificer Armour, Chainsword/Combat Blade]

········Contemptor Dreadnought Talon [Dreadnought Talon]

············Legion Contemptor Dreadnought [Chainfist with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter, Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon with inbuilt

twin-linked Bolter, 2x Graviton Gun]

+ Troops +

········Legion Breacher Siege Squad [9x Legion Breacher Siege Space Marines]

············Additional Wargear [2x Graviton Gun, Legion Vexilla, Nuncio-vox]

············Legion Breacher Siege Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Bolter, Melta Bombs, Power Fist]

············Standard Wargear [boarding Shields, Bolt Pistols, Bolters, Frag and Krak Grenades, Power Armour]

········Legion Tactical Squad [9x Legion Tactical Space Marines]

············Additional Wargear [bolters, Legion Vexilla]

············Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier [Dozer Blade]

············Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs]

················Power Weapon [Power Sword]

········Legion Tactical Support Squad [Additional Wargear, 7x Legion Space Marines, Support Squad]

············Entire Squad may exchange their Flamers for: [Volkite Caliver]

············Legion Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Melta Bombs]

············Standard Wargear [bolt Pistols, Frag and Krak Grenades, Power Armour]

+ Fast Attack +

········Legion Javelin Attack Speeder Squadron

············Legion Javelin Attack Speeder [2x Hunter-killer Missile, Multi-melta, Twin-linked Cyclone missile launcher]

+ Heavy Support +

········Legion Whirlwind Scorpius [scorpius Multi-Launcher, Searchlight and Smoke Launchers, Twin-Linked Bolter]

+ Legion +

········Legiones Astartes [ XIII: Ultramarines, Loyalist]

Created with BattleScribe (http://www.battlescribe.net)

Praetor, suzerains, chaplain and apothecary ride around in the LR, Master of signal hangs back with the volkite squad. Breachers move up and utilise the vox to coordinate strikes from the Scorpius.

Contemptor runs around countering armour and other dreadnoughts. And the land speeder outflanks or deep strikes in to provide additional support.

2.5K List:

+++ Ultramarines 2.5 (Warhammer 30,000 - The Horus Heresy v45) (2500pts)

+++ +++

++ The Age of Darkness (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List

++ v207) ++

+ HQ +

········Legion Centurion [Artificer Armour, Legatine Axe, Melta Bombs, Refractor Field]

············Consul [Chaplain]

········Legion Centurion [Artificer Armour] ············Consul

················Master of Signal [support Officer]

············Damocles Command Rhino [Pintle-mounted Heavy Bolter]

········Legion Praetor [Artificer Armour, Iron Halo, Master of the Legion, Melta Bombs, Paragon Blade] ············Invictarus Suzerain Squad [6x Invictarus Suzerains, Thunderhammer]

················Land Raider Phobos [searchlight and Smoke Launchers, Twin-Linked Lascannon Sponsons]

+ Elites +

········Apothecarion Detachment

············Legion Apothecary

················Additional Wargear [Artificer Armour, Chainsword/Combat Blade]

················Standard Wargear [bolt Pistol, Frag and Krak Grenades, Narthecium, Power Armour]

········Contemptor Dreadnought Talon [Dreadnought Talon]

············Legion Contemptor Dreadnought [Chainfist with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter, Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter, 2x Graviton Gun, Legion Dreadnought Drop Pod]

+ Troops +

············Additional Wargear [bolters, Legion Vexilla]

················Power Weapon [Power Sword] ············Standard Wargear [bolt Pistols, Frag and Krak Grenades, Power Armour]

············Additional Wargear [bolters, Nuncio-vox]

················Power Weapon [Power Sword] ············Standard Wargear [bolt Pistols, Frag and Krak Grenades, Power Armour]

········Legion Tactical Support Squad [Additional Wargear, 8x Legion Space Marines, Support Squad] ············Entire Squad may exchange their Flamers for: [Volkite Caliver]

············Legion Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol]

············Standard Wargear [bolt Pistols, Frag and Krak Grenades, Power Armour]

+ Fast Attack +

········Legion Javelin Attack Speeder Squadron

············Legion Javelin Attack Speeder [2x Hunter-killer Missile, Multi-melta, Twin-linked Cyclone missile launcher]

+ Heavy Support +

········Legion Vindicator Siege Tank Squadron

············Legion Vindicator Tank [Combi-Bolter, Laser Destroyer Array, Machine Spirit, Searchlight and Smoke Launchers]

············Legion Vindicator Tank [Combi-Bolter, Laser Destroyer Array, Searchlight and Smoke Launchers]

········Legion Whirlwind Scorpius [scorpius Multi-Launcher, Searchlight and Smoke Launchers, Twin-Linked Bolter]

+ Legion +

········Legiones Astartes [ XIII: Ultramarines, Loyalist]

Created with BattleScribe (http://www.battlescribe.net)

Again, same as before except the contemptor now has a drop pod and the javelin has a friend. A pair of Vindis for extra anti-tank support and a Damocles for better reserve and position control.

Comments appreciated.

• 5 weeks later...

Made a forgeworld order and built all of it. I now have a javelin with missile launchers and a multimelta. I've magnetised the antenna array for transporting and some to get some resistance with the missile launcher rotation.

32767649452_81e2cacb26_c.jpgUltramarines update. by Richard Jones, on Flickr

32921078155_70e90359f1_c.jpgUltramarines update. by Richard Jones, on Flickr

32106324603_9477539f79_c.jpgUltramarines update. by Richard Jones, on Flickr

32767646562_fa0730bca9_c.jpgUltramarines update. by Richard Jones, on Flickr

• 3 months later...

Been neglecting my blog for sometime so here is what I've been up to:

I've had a few games of Horus Heresy with my sons of Horus against Alpha legion (who's knows if they're traitors etc.) majority of the games i can't recall the outcome but i can tell you that 4K games take more that 4 hours to play. 2.5K seems to be the sweet spot.

Dreadclaws with CCW contemptors are nasty but beware killing your target before getting there with Grav, and if you do kill something you then have to charge through your own distortion. Abaddon is great at killing things but his trait makes units take fall back tests at their lower leadership. 3 vet squads ran off the table to this great rule and finally, lightnings with kraken penetrators hurt your Armour but are then useless and don't seem to worth their points to kill my spartan, which tends to flat out to enemy deployment and unleashes hell before getting destroyed.

Some pics from my phone of the 4K game, Horus and Alpharius was or was not present. Hopefully they're sequential so my spartan rocks up, gets blown up, volkite caliver squads destroys terminators (these are awesome, Choom MF), Horus drops down and runs away from the levi and tries to kill Alpharius. then we ran out of time.

33957391034_f35af6c66d_h.jpgSons of Horus vs alpha legion by Richard Jones, on Flickr

34800328605_82a9fd7752_h.jpgSons of Horus vs alpha legion by Richard Jones, on Flickr  

34637858652_c6b5bb53a3_h.jpgSons of Horus vs alpha legion by Richard Jones, on Flickr

Next up I've added some new units. I'm not too happy with my on foot reaver squad with combi weapons. they seem to die really easily without the damage out put so i'm going to use them as vets. So i'm spitting the squad into 2 10 man (5 to add in each) with 5 combis in each and maybe 2 specials in each, so one dedicated melta and one plasma.

To aid these squads I've re-painted some dark angel rhinos to Sons of Horus. Wrong Mark but fluff wise Sons of Horus has access to better gear.

I also painted the Sons of Horus command that I've kept in my draw for over a year. I'm using the one model as a Malagurst counts as.

33957574074_c790848dd4_h.jpgSons of Horus rhino. Not the 30k so shoot me. by Richard Jones, on Flickr

34414478990_b18ec346e2_h.jpgSons of Horus command. by Richard Jones, on Flickr

34637860442_146d830e6f_h.jpgSons of Horus Mal counts as by Richard Jones, on Flickr

Now  Ultramarines. Played Victory is vengeance from book 4 (i think), a little skirmish game, some rules however seem a bit overpowered but it was fun. Had a chaplain in my force (Lucius Vorenus) and some invictus suzerains, (running one is Titus Pullo). Managed to get Lucius knocked out with his honor  intact somehow with my opponents leader now having to fight our next game shunned by his own men (no one can join him), His only redemption  is to kill an enemy with a shot from his bolt pistol. Heres some pics below. Hopefully they make sense. And yes Titus just went off on his own killing things only realising at the last minute his friend was in trouble.

34800387265_eb4de3a963_h.jpgVictory is vengeance ultramarines by Richard Jones, on Flickr

34414335090_0477f7b02d_h.jpgVictory is vengeance ultramarines by Richard Jones, on Flickr

34760343916_041f4bfd1c_h.jpgVictory is vengeance ultramarines by Richard Jones, on Flickr34667761391_8459e3dff5_h.jpgVictory is vengeance ultramarines by Richard Jones, on Flickr

33990780653_57c69227a9_h.jpgVictory is vengeance ultramarines by Richard Jones, on Flickr

And lastly my current project: Hopefully will be buying some ultra breaching shields/swords to my hopefully ultramarines Vs world eaters game with Harry Potter! Armatura Here we come!

Looking at increasing my number of ultramarines to 20 breachers (10 with power swords), 20 tactical, 10 support, a javelin, Scorpius, land raider with suzerain, praetor, chaplain and a master of signal.

Will still be some way off but making progress:

33990827413_f49c0f8cd0_h.jpgUltramarines javelin. by Richard Jones, on Flickr

34667906551_1de3ee4bc4_b.jpgUltramarines master of signal. by Richard Jones, on Flickr

• 5 months later...

Long overdue update;

Finally got to play with my ultramarines at my annual pilgrimage to Warhammer world only to be crushed mercilessly into the bulkheads by World eaters.

I thought maybe my breachers could hold up the onslaught but were soon overtaken by the sheer amount of chain axe attacks. My Praetor got squished by a powerfist and my contemptor blown apart in CC by another dread. Suzerain command squad was overrun by the combined attacks of inductii and red butchers.

Main takeaway: Grav guns are crap. Melta or flamers required on the breachers. More anti-armour required for the amount of dreads I was against. Running away also would have helped survive inductii. Overall a brutal army to play against in ZM.

26607643749_fe5206fb3e_b.jpgIMG_3072 by Richard Jones, on Flickr

37668799884_78536f25a9_b.jpgIMG_3074 by Richard Jones, on Flickr

26607643979_bb5803e61f_b.jpgIMG_3075 by Richard Jones, on Flickr

• 8 months later...

Been a fair few months of lurking again, but I have not been remiss in my 30K duties.

However the Ultramarines have fallen by the wayside. Bonus time came and I ended up spending the lot on removing the garden decking and installing a patio.

This meant I had to resort to finishing my existing models and something incredible happened, I finished everything heresy related that I had left.

The only thing I managed to buy was some very cheap Justaerin terminators from a nice chap on the heresy forums. So now I have 10 in total with plans to change the weapon loadouts to something more competitive.

From what I had left I completed a Veteran squad and finished an Ultramarines Apothecary

43290018214_11be8e5ae0_b.jpgIMG_3257 by Richard Jones, on Flickr

43290018054_f38d1f93d1_b.jpgIMG_3258 by Richard Jones, on Flickr

I also dabbled in an Emperor’s children champion for a future Istavaan 3 shattered legion force idea.

Soon though I should be back in the black again and should be able to finish the ultramarine army and move onto fresh ideas.

For games I only managed to do an intro to heresy game with a work friend. So it was ultramarines Vs Sons of Horus. With a narrow ultra-win.

43290018544_914efc4a26_b.jpgIMG_3438 by Richard Jones, on Flickr

Wow.. love the Green on your Sons of Horus.

I have a 30k Ultramarine army.. but I also plan to do a Sons of Horus army as well, completely independent of your thread. That must be more than a coincidence!

I feel like they're the opposite sides of the same coin. both good at everything but achieve it in different ways.

Archived