IG Codex Wish List

An assault vehicle for us would be handy especially for ogryn delivery

Id be happy with a fast open topped taurox for 40-50pts

Would need smoke launchers though

I'd be down for a Scout Salamander (tank, fast, open-topped; scout) with a transport capacity (smoke launchers come standard). It's based on the Chimera chassis, so it could have a similar capacity as a Chimera. And, since it's open-topped, it's an assault vehicle. It's pretty fairly priced at 55 points, and the Autocannon/Heavy Bolter combination is not to be trifled with.

An assault vehicle would be fantastic, at least one that's not a lord of war. Also, Valkyrie Dedicated transports would be really cool, as well as alternative deployment methods. More access to scout and infiltrate would be great, and not at all OP or unfluffy. Forward Sentries should have infiltrate and MTC at a 5pt bump and i think that would still be fair, given their utter crap armor save and the fact that cover isn't as reliable this edition (especially since they can be killed reliably with a standard flamer).

As I said before some FOC slot shenanigans would be nice, like having Lord Commissars unlock stormies as troops, or the ability to "combat squad" our tank squadrons.

As it stands guard is really hampered by our inability to use alternative deployments. I'd also like to see sentinels get the extremely bulky rule, and the ability to be transported by valkyrie, that'll never happen though...

Personally ..

Some points adjustments. Discussed to death, but mostly certain vehicles and HWT are too expensive and we mostly know and agree on which vehicles Need it...

Regimental doctrines of some sort similar to chapter tactics... this should be obvious, guard had this in the second third edition codex, before chapter tactics where a thing...

Squadron benifits, again guard had squadrons before sm, it makes sense to benifit our prodigious volume of armour.

Decent formations... no matter how you slice it there will be formations...

That's most of it...

Ah, something else that we should probably discuss, heavy weapons platoons should be a thing, or relax the platoon requirements, to just read "1 platoon command squad and at least 2 infantry squads or 2 heavy weapons squads".  That would be great and really useful, because as great as wyverns are, you don't want to load up on them, when there are russes needed, so why not take mortars in your troops slot, and either up the cost on the wyvern or drop the cost on HWS, to make HWS a competitive option to the wyvern.

I'd also like to see penal legion squads make a comeback, maybe as an option for platoons in addition to, or as an upgrade to conscripts.

Penal legion and heavy weapons platoons would be great.  If the heavy weapons team got eternal warrior, I'd even say they're good enough at current points cost.  Scattering a few mortar squads around the battlefield would be pretty cool if they were a viable choice.  The heavy weapons platoon would probably have to be an elites choice, though, not troops.

4ppm penal legion with conscript stats, but access to special weapons and option of pistol/sword combo instead of lasgun?  

"What are you complaining about, you've got another leg" is something I've said with some regularity... tongue.png Not a bad idea, Commissars do need something to make them more worthwhile. Eternal Warrior for HWTs has been my quick fix plan for ages now, but some of the heavy weapons are priced oddly too which would be no bad thing to fix.

Though we've heard no further rumour (even of no quality) I'm still hoping for an update this year. Feels like it could be a good time for GW to revisit us.

Medics that do more than keep an officer alive. Heck, make them like commissars.

Better, make commissars grant FNP. They'd have to take a decent price hike, but the idea of a Commissar forcing wounded men to fight on is very thematic.

"What are you complaining about, you've got another leg" is something I've said with some regularity... tongue.png Not a bad idea, Commissars do need something to make them more worthwhile. Eternal Warrior for HWTs has been my quick fix plan for ages now, but some of the heavy weapons are priced oddly too which would be no bad thing to fix.

Though we've heard no further rumour (even of no quality) I'm still hoping for an update this year. Feels like it could be a good time for GW to revisit us.

I disagree...I think they need a bubble of stubborn LD...6" bubble for a commie, 12" LD10 bubble for a commie lord. FNP is a bad fit. Maybe make FNP a priest power...but inspiration backed by a bolt pistol doesn't overcome a sucking chest wound.

All that remains for a 7th edition book is IG, 'Nids, CSM, and Daemons. Inquisition and SoB are in there, too ... but I can't see them getting an update before the others.

Well we know CSM won't be getting an update, because Chaos. 

I'd say there's decent odds that between 'Nids, Daemons, Orks (don't forget them!) and maybe Blood Angels, and ourselves, there's a decent shot at an update in th rest of the year. Just depends on how much GW wants to focus on Ages of Sigmar and campaign books (which, in my opinion, shouldn't even be a thing until every core army has been updated...)

Penal legion and heavy weapons platoons would be great.  If the heavy weapons team got eternal warrior, I'd even say they're good enough at current points cost.  Scattering a few mortar squads around the battlefield would be pretty cool if they were a viable choice.  The heavy weapons platoon would probably have to be an elites choice, though, not troops.

4ppm penal legion with conscript stats, but access to special weapons and option of pistol/sword combo instead of lasgun?  

Thing is, we're not hurting for elites choices, and the thing is I'm not saying that they should give us heavy weapons platoons, just relaxing the mandatory requirements on the platoon to include HWS as a mandatory choice, so you could field a full on heavy weapons platoon, or mix and match with one IS and one HWS, or 2 IS. Here's the thing, why make a guardsman statline an elites choice? Sacrifice one of my valuable slots for some independent heavy weapons, or take something else? Right now, my guard aren't hurting for elites slots, as I have only 2 platoons of Stormies, and I only ever field one. Maybe if we had a command tank squadrons as elites (BS4 Russ sqdn, of 1-3 tanks, with specialty shells...), I'd be using them up more, or if I had ogryns/bullgryns.

I fully support the idea of allowing Ogryn to take carapace armor as an upgrade, especially given how vulnerable they tend to be.

As for penal legion, I was thinking about just bringing back the old doctrines they had. That way they either shoot more to make up for the fact that they're poop at it, or giving them 2 ccw's (everyone should have one as standard equipment, just for fluff), or giving them counterattack. Conscripts should just get scout, so they can move around faster.

Here's the thing, why make a guardsman statline an elites choice? 

Um...we don't really have a lot of pressure on that FOC slot?  I mean, who ever fills more than one?  With conscripts being troops, where would you put elite conscripts, except in elites?  I mean, mobs with 2A base...it seems kinda elite, even without considering that I'm proposing giving them multiple flamers... 

Conscripts as a stand alone troop slot would be nice

Means u could run vets and conscripts without needing to pay a platoon tax

Ogyrns should be come MCs or at least have smash ;)

Tau get small MCs why can't we?

Here's the thing, why make a guardsman statline an elites choice? 

Um...we don't really have a lot of pressure on that FOC slot?  I mean, who ever fills more than one?  With conscripts being troops, where would you put elite conscripts, except in elites?  I mean, mobs with 2A base...it seems kinda elite, even without considering that I'm proposing giving them multiple flamers... 

I know we don't. I would love to see some Krieg/ABG shenanigans in our regular codex. I'd love to have BS4 Russes that improve barrage weapons or that can take out MC's with instant death. I'd love vox casters to improve barrage weapons, or have the ability to drop a S4 AP6 large blast. Don't seem to have a hard counter to a lot of the new shenanigans that are out there.

We probably need some additional stuff to go in our elite slots, that can really help out our forces.

Totally.  We've never had anything decent in elites in the 20 years I've been playing guard, except for Mister Stalone...heavy, troops, that's about it.  Good enough stuff in fast attack, but nothing jaw-dropping.  A few decent named HQs from time to time, currently that's Pask, but never even an average standard HQ, let alone a good one.  We're pretty much a heavy support army, and if we can find a way to make our troops decent, we're ahead of the game, but it's pretty "mono: heavy"

I'd like to see different varieties of the elites we have now. Like, Kasrkin, stormtroopers, and Militarum Tempestus, with slightly different rules and costs for all them. I actually drew homebrew rules up for those differences. Be something I'd be happy to see.

I'd just be happy to be able to field the troops that I have built rather than have to change them around, or leave them out because the codex won't let me have them any more.

All of my units are marked up with squad/platoon markings... I like to keep things neat :)

While not a guard player myself I have started a traitor guard army using the renegades and Heretics list. One thing which could work for infantry platoons could be to remove bobbing but allow infantry squads to be bigger. Also allow the warlord to take certain upgrades allowing you to customise your army ala the renegades and Heretics list

While not a guard player myself I have started a traitor guard army using the renegades and Heretics list. One thing which could work for infantry platoons could be to remove bobbing but allow infantry squads to be bigger. Also allow the warlord to take certain upgrades allowing you to customise your army ala the renegades and Heretics list

What possible benefit would there be in removing blobbing and replacing it with larger maximum squad sizes?

What possible benefit would there be in removing blobbing and replacing it with larger maximum squad sizes?
Well for one it makes infantry horde lists alot better

In Imperial Armour 1 2nd edition you can get the rules for all IG vehicles ever for 7th and you can ally with hordes of infantry too

Personal wishes:

- Allow Veterans to take Pulse Carbines,

- Add Rail Rifles as a Special Weapon,

- EMP Grenades as 2ppm upgrade,

Actual serious wishes:

- Make Straken an IC, knock him down to 120pts. Make the lead-from-the-front Commander actually lead from the front,

- Creed. Points drop. Badly needed. And make Kell use Creed's Leadership again,

- Give Yarrick Stubborn. Why is he the only Commissar without Stubborn?

- Lord Commissars need a slight points drop,

- Guard Relics really need rethinking. Kurov's Aquila simply isn't worth it, and most others are mediocre at best,

- Slight points increase in Priests. They bring an awful lot given how cheap they are,

- Heavy Weapons Teams should be 10pts base, the 5pt tax doesn't make sense and makes them pretty worthless,

- The Taurox needs a serious rethink too. Inferior to the Chimera and just too fragile to bother bringing,

- Veterans are good, though Demolitions now needs a big points drop as it's much less worthwhile, and was already a bit pricey,

- Drop the Chimera's points cost to 60pts, and add an Autocannon option,

- Ratlings need to be about 8pts, as they're made of paper and Snipers are middling-at-best weapons,

- Ogryn need a Carapace Armour option as a 5+ means they're just too easy to kill for their cost. Give them the option to take Power Mauls as well for a shock CC unit,

- Bullgryns are good, but should allow mixing and matching of Power Maul/Grenade Launcher, and Slab Shield/Buckler Shield. Power Maul + Slab Shield would be a cool unit. Knock the Power Maul upgrade down to 10pts as you're giving up a weapon for it,

- Tempestus...first off give the Tempestor Prime Senior Officer, and knock his points cost up a bit, The normal lads should get Doctrines back, set during the list-building phase. Let them take Valkyries as Dedicated Transports, too. Give them a discount on Special Weapons, as they're trading a decent weapon for them. Maybe a 3-5pt discount,

- Sentinels need to be a touch cheaper, around 5pts cheaper for both variants,

- Rough Riders need a complete rethink. Some sort of Jink save with Skilled Rider, maybe? A Flamer will still end them, though,

- Hellhounds need a good points drop, and their variants. Other than that they're pretty good,

- Valkyrie/Vendetta are okay, if a little pricey. I'd remove Ordnance from the Hellstrike Missiles, and maybe make them S9 AP3? Allows a nice first-turn anti-armour threat with a Lascannon on top. The Vendetta could probably use a price drop, as it's an expensive investment, but only a minor cost drop,

- Leman Russes need Lumbering Behemoth back. The Ordnance variants are a really tough sell without it,

- The Exterminator needs something interesting or special to make it worth taking vanilla. It's just mediocre as it is, and brings firepower you can get in almost any other slot,

- Maybe a slight cost drop for Russes, but honestly they're mostly okay,

- Manticore is okay, if a little awkward to find good targets for, though against 'Nids and Mechanicus it can be a real terror. Perhaps allow it to take Manticore Missiles like the Forge World version?

- Basilisk is alright, maybe a slight points drop but it's 'kay overall,

- Wyvern needs to lose Shred, as it doesn't really make much sense and makes it a really powerful unit,

- Deathstrike should be D. If anything should be D, it's the Deathstrike. Give it Vortex as well for a points cost upgrade. It'll still be uncompetitive as heck, but it might as well have a big boom if it only ever gets one shot,

Archived