The Blood Revenants (WIP): 1k list help

Damon Nightman

First scout squad and first DC marine i painted a few months ago! The DC guy was my first power armor model ever painted after first starting with the scouts. Still needs some work, but i thought they were good enough to field.

Would this quality of photo/paint job be acceptable for the ETL?

Edited by Brother Lemartes

Really digging that librarian conversion, very cool.

EDC

Thanks man, i almost changed him around, but i'm gonna stick with it.

I made some mock chapter badges in paint. 

Skull 1

Skull 2

Skull 3

Skull 4

Skull 5

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Haha yeah the streaming is a bit much I do admit. You would still go with 2 over 1 even though 2 could be mistaken for a gang tattoo? lol

I think I like 2 the best as well, but think it would be harder to pull off than 1....

Also do you think 2, or any of them for that matter, fit my chapters name? Blood Revenants

I think you should contact my buddy Matt (AKA POP Goes the Monkey) over at Shapeways. He makes amazing custom stuff, and he does the design work for free, as long as you don't mind a wait, that it will be available for anyone to buy, and that you have to promise to buy at least one set. He did the skeleton hands shoulder pads for my Terminus Guard

I might have to look into that, but def wouldn't be doing it anytime soon. I have a bunch of transfer sheets with skulls I want to try and use first. I've heard he does great work though! Everything looks great on his site and someone here just painted up some shoulders from him and they looked great! Thanks for the suggestion!

EDC, yeah I'm leaning towards 1 since I think it will be the easiest and is fitting for my chapter.

Thanks for the help!

I still like 2 a lot but think it's harder to do and doesn't fit the "theme" as well since tears or crying tears of blood isn't really part of the backstory....

The skull itself works imo because they are Revenants like ghosts or people returned from the dead, so the skull works and the blood drop on the head indicates the blood part.... Like their blood angel heritage. Can't think of a reason for the blood drop to be a tear as well...

Like at the battle for terra? I would say yes, at least some of them initially. I mean I guess obviously those guys have died by now in 40k time after popping out the warp, but I was originally thinking yes, these guys were some of the blood Angels and Amit's most angriest/vengeful guys after the battle that wanted nothing more than to hunt the traitors and make them pay for what they did to sanguinius and the emperor. Unfortunately they were trapped in the warp chasing said traitors, but yeah....

Well I was asking because the red tears coming out of the eyes doesn't have to fit with certain actions of the chapter, rather certain feelings, so to speak.

So the red tear could be symbolic of the sadness they feel for his death, them getting lost/trapped while trying to bring retribution, them being divided, etc.

The skull represents their death and rebirth, and the tear can represent the single tear shed for their fate, their curse, their failings, and their father's death. Or maybe the feeling of betrayal they felt when forced to break off from the legion.

Honestly, though, both one and two look good.not to mention, you could use them both.

Edited by Arkangilos

Well I was asking because the red tears coming out of the eyes doesn't have to fit with certain actions of the chapter, rather certain feelings, so to speak.

So the red tear could be symbolic of the sadness they feel for his death, them getting lost/trapped while trying to bring retribution, them being divided, etc.

The skull represents their death and rebirth, and the tear can represent the single tear shed for their fate, their curse, their failings, and their father's death. Or maybe the feeling of betrayal they felt when forced to break off from the legion.

Honestly, though, both one and two look good.not to mention, you could use them both.

I really like these ideas you are throwing out...

Use them both you say? Like what do you have in mind? One being the official chapter badge while the other has a specific meaning? Like only captains use one but not the other?

And I very much appreciate the help and questions!

Yeah, I was thinking if you wanted to, one could be the symbol of chapter, and one could be a symbol of either a company, or a command staff.

It's all up to you.

Really, thank you for all the input throughout the whole thread. You've really helped with nailing down a lot of specific details about fluff, name, and now chapter badge!

A man steals my proto-chapter badge and get everyone developing it :P HERESY!

Kidding of course - love where this project is going brother :) keep it up!

Lol, if I could easily paint a deathmask I would have totally stole your entire chapter badge haha. A compliment really because I like it so much. I probably wouldn't have posted here though....

I'm gonna go with 1, skull with drop on head, which I hope is different enough. It's pretty generic so I'm sure it's been used by someone before...

A very great community! I am glad I found this forum, after the new BA codex dropped I wanted to find a place where actual players talked about their experiences. This goes without saying but most other sites can be very toxic/negative.

In other news, I'm hoping to get my first ETL vow in tomorrow. Probably just gonna be some assault termies, but may throw an assault squad in as well. Want to get in many small vows if possible.

What I have that could be pledged and want to have painted by end of summer anyway:

Assault termie squad

Assault marine squad

Tac squad

Bike squad (maybe 2)

Storm Raven

20 VV with power weapons

10 stern guard with combies

2 drop pods

1 rhino or razorback

1 furioso

1 DC Dred

1 contemptor Dred that I plan on making a Libby Dred

(I don't plan to vow all of this necessarily, but just listing my options I guess)

And I think that is everything I have, everything else I have already started painting to some degree, though I don't have anything fully "finished". Not sure if I should finish what I've started or leave all that till after ETL. Could throw some HQs in as well, but am trying to save them for last after I'm better at painting.