The Silent War

R_F_D

Personally I think I like Eye of Terra a smidge better, mostly because in Eye of Terra there aren't any stories I'd rate 5/10 or less, whereas The Silent War has three such stories (Distant Echoes of Old Night, Army of One and The Gates of Terra). But both have their good stories, and most are decent at least.

Thankfully Army of One and The Gates of Terra are also the shortest of the bunch, iirc. Distant Echoes of Old Night was a bit longer, but I enjoyed it for the Legion spotlight, since the Death Guard were usually overlooked at the time it was released.

I agree though, Eye of Terra is more consistently enjoyable to me.

The problem with HH releases is that we now know the bad months to come:

Book 31 - Legacies of Betrayal - Compilation of short stories / novellas, after which was a novel;

Book 33 - War Without End - Compilation of short stories / novellas, after which was a novel;

Book 35 - Eye of Terra - Compilation of short stories / novellas, after which was an amazing 'Path of Heaven' novel;

Book 37 - The Silent War - Compilation of short stories / novellas, after which Angels of Caliban next month.

So July is another unnessesary overpriced old anthology compilation - bad month, then new novel (it seems Praetorian of Dorn) in August (good month).

Then bad September with another bad anthology.

Then good October with Crimson king or Emperor of Mankind.

Then bad November - and good december with the title not released in October.

Easy! msn-wink.gif

38 is Angels of Caliban, 39 is Praetorian of Dorn, then we get two Primarchs novels this year still. Besides novellas, there's nothing to collect until Tallarn is off its exclusivity period and Gav writes the third of the Corax novella trilogy, and Garro is wrapped up. And to be frank, I am completely okay with novellas being gathered in packs of 4.

We're still missing:

* Promethean Sun

* Scorched Earth

* Wolf King

* Cybernetica

The latter two are too recent to be collected anytime soon. Beyond that, The Honoured and The Unburdened will be collected in one volume at some point, but not anytime soon as they just got a general trade paperback release. Meduson isn't getting a straight reprint and will likely follow a different release pattern first.

The Raven Guard anthology would wrap up:

* Corax: Soulforge

* Ravenlord

* The Shadowmasters

* The Value of Fear

* Raptor

and Tallarn:

* Tallarn: Executioner

* Tallarn: Siren

* Tallarn: Ironclad

* Tallarn: Witness

This one's the most likely to happen in the foreseeable future, as a digital release of Ironclad happened already and Siren was announced as the final piece.

So I have to ask: An anthology of what? We're out of short stories, and anything else would be good to have as a regular release anyway.

Book 31 - Legacies of Betrayal - Compilation of short stories / novellas, after which was a novel;

Book 33 - War Without End - Compilation of short stories / novellas, after which was a novel;

Book 35 - Eye of Terra - Compilation of short stories / novellas, after which was an amazing 'Path of Heaven' novel;

Book 37 - The Silent War - Compilation of short stories / novellas, after which Angels of Caliban next month.

So July is another unnessesary overpriced old anthology compilation - bad month, then new novel (it seems Praetorian of Dorn) in August (good month).

Easy! msn-wink.gif

Huh? How did that conclusion come up? As DarkChaplain says, we already know books 38 and 39 are both new novels, and there isn't that much -left- to go into collection anthologies.

And as for the actual anthologies themselves: I'd say they've been pretty solid in terms of average story quality, they're not "unnecessary" for those of us who want the whole series in a consistent format, nor is everyone going to be familiar with all the stories already, and the pricing doesn't seem any higher than the new novels (and in the case of War Without End, I'd even say it's a good deal for how much content you get).

So, yeah, can't say I agree with your conclusions there :p

we

Easy! msn-wink.gif

Huh? How did that conclusion come up? As DarkChaplain says, we already know books 38 and 39 are both new novels, and there isn't that much -left- to go into collection anthologies.

And as for the actual anthologies themselves: I'd say they've been pretty solid in terms of average story quality, they're not "unnecessary" for those of us who want the whole series in a consistent format, nor is everyone going to be familiar with all the stories already, and the pricing doesn't seem any higher than the new novels (and in the case of War Without End, I'd even say it's a good deal for how much content you get).

So, yeah, can't say I agree with your conclusions there tongue.png

AoC is 38 (June). Then Anthology. Then PoD. Then we will discuss it again biggrin.png

Praetorian is volume 39. We know that for a fact, and can already order it off other retailers. There is no need for discussion when we have info like this. There are simply no arguments to back your point up.

I will quote Laurie Goulding for you directly: 'Praetorian of Dorn' in August. So we don't know what would be released in July

You're working on the assumption that anything will be released in July at all. The Path of Heaven released in late April, The Silent War released in late April too with only the hardback launching in the first May week. For all we know, Angels of Caliban could arrive in the last June week.

IF anything releases in July it will be a case like with Pharos and War Without End, where they released one out of order. Praetorian of Dorn is #39.

Archived