I shall wear no crowns and win no glory

I shall live and die at my post

I am the Sword in the darkness

I am the Watcher on the walls

I am the Shield that guards the Imperium of Man

I pledge my life an honour to the Deathwatch

For this night, and for all the nights to come

Hi everyone,

Welcome to my Game of Thrones themed Deathwatch army thread. I've always felt that there was a cool similarity between these two orders dressed in black, pledging their lives to a thankless and grim duty, and with the release of Deathwatch Overkill and the rumoured dex, I thought it was high time I started a themed army.

Without further ado, here's my WIP of the man of the hour himself, Jon Snow. He's based on the Krom Dragongaze model, and is waiting on a sword (I'm thinking a Grey Knight one will be best), head (open to suggestions here) and Deathwatch shoulder pad (the GW bits pack is sold out ATM).

gallery_85662_11988_308775.jpg

And faithfully waiting for him are some WIP marines from the Deathwatch game

gallery_85662_11988_9446.jpg

gallery_85662_11988_137714.jpg

gallery_85662_11988_2898.jpg

Obviously everything is still a work in progress, but any comments or feedback would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

TWA

Gah, my first reply got swallowed up by a site crash... I'll briefly summarise;

1) excellent start! Really like the scheme so far, nice and vibrant where it's needed, and really offsets the typical dark scheme.

2) drill those barrels :p I jest, but it would help the look of the minis. Are you planning on weathering them? I think the nights watch aesthetic would look really good weathered.

3) good call on the grey knight sword. It'll look tip top. As for the head, I'd either go with a nice mkiii head, or the one from the plastic upgrade it. Nice long flowing locks of hair there.

Keep the good work coming :)

Btw, have you decided how you are going to run them rules wise?

Cheers Robzilla!

I haven't decided about weathering yet. I wasn't going to, as my previous attempts at weathering didn't work out too well, but I agree it fits nicely with the night's watch theme. I'll have a look for some good tutorials on weathering black armour.

I had been thinking about trying to get a bare head (possibly a blood angels one, but I wasn't sure), but I like the idea of a nice, knightly Mk3 helmet. I might have to magnetise the head.

Rules wise, I plan on taking advantage of the fact that the deathwatch draws from multiple chapters to be flexible with my army roster and try out different chapter tactics, formations etc. Roughly though, I'll be going sternguard heavy, so imperial fists chapter tactics and Pedro (counts as jeor mormont, methinks) will suit nicely I think.

Interesting idea. I love the cross over potential between two very different universes with the similarities you called out.

Any plans to give done guys blades made of dragon glass?

For weathering black armor, I'd recommend looking into oil washes. They are pretty easy to do and have great results that you can't get with GW acrylic washes.

Sounds good!

Even just a bit of snow clinging to their boots would look good.

If you didn't want to try out the inks, sponge weathering with a grey/dark steel would look good in moderation.

Vallejo do good washes in 35ml bottles that are a bit of a middle ground between oil and regular.

• 4 weeks later...

Winter is coming.... literally - it's the second day of winter here in Australia.

Been a while since I posted here, but that's not for lack of progress - hoping to have a lot more photos to upload in the near future.

For now though, I present Brother Jon Snow.... #YouKnowNothing. Hope you all enjoy him!

gallery_85662_11988_102524.jpg

I'm going to base and weather everyone in one big hit, so that's still to come.

nice! Will he be getting a fenrisian albino direwolf as well?

I think it`s a must!  :P ;) The head lets you really think "snow", the colour looks wet

and heavy in a way,  like fresh-fallen snow.

-----> LIKE!

My plan is to do a mix of actual night's watch characters (e.g. 'Watch' Commander Mormont), GoT inspired marines (e.g. a battle brother from the Knights of the Vale chapter), and 'regular' marines (ultramarines etc).

Samwell is currently on the workbench - I've taken a bit of poetic licence with Sam, thinking about what the transformation into an Astartes would do to him - especially ATSKNF. So my version is very much Sam the Slayer.

It's funny you mention Wun-Wun - I had toyed with adding an imperial knight for Mag the Mighty....knights work best in pairs right?

Archived