Brother SP actually paints something - CM Finished - NEXT

Okay so it is finally happening. With the birth of my second child and so free time becoming the rarest of commodities I have decided to make a new WIP thread to motivate myself to actually paint something. At first it shall mostly focus around my new Chapter of the Astartes, The Iron Heralds.

And what better place to start painting a Chapter then the Chapter Master himself? Ladies and Gentleastartes I give you Chapter Master Seric Dasarro, Master of the Iron Heralds and Lord of Megara:

gallery_36568_9971_23178.jpg

The scheme at the moment shall loosely be based upon the Word Bearers post heresy scheme ala:

gallery_36568_9971_13257.png

With the Chapter symbol being that of my Avatar

gallery_36568_9971_1465.png

I shall endeavour to update as appropriate or every Thursday. Fluff et al shall also be involved because, after all, I am a Liberite first and foremost.

So I know its not much to comment on but I would love to hear any feed back and stay tuned for hopefully something worth while. Or at least watch me fail the ETL again horribly.

Looks well done from this side but.... lets not look too closely at my Greenstuff work shall we... laugh.png

As for why, Rule of Cool is about it. That and I love Power Fists. That Chain fist looked absolutely horrible and was in a really bad pose to be honest. That and he is to act as my 40k Iron Hands Successor Chapter Master so I am already sinking quiet a few points in to him to add the Chainfist for what little it will add.

Thanks for the replies guys. As this rate I may even undercoat him this side of next year tongue.png

• 3 weeks later...

Okay so I know I missed the last two Thursdays but life has been hectic so here is a WIP of Seric to prove I am actually doing something. Unfortunately crap brushes and very rusty painting skills has meant I am not achieving the standard I hoped for but meh, progress is progress. I haven't solidly painted much of anything for a very long time.

gallery_36568_9971_46560.jpg

Metal trim done as well as bits and pieces here and there. Waiting for a delivery of the paints I am missing plus some from an amazing fellow hobbyist on the other side of the world from me (whose name I shall not mention unless he wishes it, in case other go asking for stuff). Rest assured a mini in my army shall pay tribute to this paragon of the hobby, my First Company Captain already bearing his name. Unfortunately the leather hasn't quite turned out how I hoped but it still looks alright.

Will hopefully get another WIP up soon. Getting to the point where I am just waiting for these paints. When I get there I shall start the prep work on my next ETL Vow. Despite the slow progress on this one I am hoping to push it to five vows this year. They will only be small ones but at least I should complete them. Should being the key word.

• 2 weeks later...

So today this arrived via mail from a rather European based board member:

gallery_36568_9971_354794.jpg

So now to experiment on achieving the right red for my guys. So glad this has got here because I can finally make some real progress on Seric.

To prove I haven't been entirely inactive there is this:

gallery_36568_9971_97690.jpg

Not that it shows much progress but lastly there is this shot of Seriç head. Probably the best bare head I have ever painted but I must admit still not 100% happy with it. In particular his eyes, or lack thereof. Still practice makes perfect and I am sure I will one day redo Seric.

gallery_36568_9971_2071.jpg

Painted is painted. You can always come back and redo stuff or start over with a new version later. :tu:

For what it worth, Seric's skin looks good. It looks like he's taken a beating but is still standing firm and proud. The beard could do with a bit more contrast though I'm pretty sure it looks fine when it's not on a super close-up photo. The armour looks good as well and reinforces the "beaten but unbowed" aspect that I mentioned earlier. And you even managed hazard stripes! Great stuff, mate. :tu:

As I said earlier, I'm glad that the paints have (finally) arrived and I hope that you'll be able to find the droids red you're looking for. ;)

So just because I always seem to get the same angle whenever I take photos of this guy:

gallery_36568_9971_68390.jpg

At least this one shows the heat scorching on the melta barrel. This is WIP of the red after two layers then a wash (you can tell where it is still wet). Still a few more steps to go to bring in a little orange into it before pushing it back more red. I have ended up a little lighter then I wanted and further experimentation may be required on later models. I had hoped the Earthshade wash would have toned it down a bit but no such luck.

Also it was my 30th Birthday on the 4th and this delayed present arrived yesterday:

gallery_36568_9971_308236.jpg

So there is the painting schedule for the next several years. Between those, a few older models I have lying around and some of the Betrayal Box set I have me the makings of a full Demi Company. Next up after Seric however shall by Captain Ludovic of the First Company (Terminator Capatin). After all small points rich vows help Codex at least a little.

So here he is, as finished as he is going to be for now. May I present Seric Dasarro, Chapter Master of the Iron Heralds and Lord of Megara:

gallery_36568_9971_95760.jpg

Unfortunately a slightly out of focus shot but one that will serve for now none the less. I haven't done any fluff for his because I have decided to focus my later fluff around a Crusade that the he didn't participate in. So Champagne all round because, not only have I finished my best model in a long time but its also the first time I have successfully completed my ETL vow. Now to make another and attempt to ruin my success rate. But first here is a gallery of non flash using different angels on Seric. Enjoy and I would love to hear some feedback.

gallery_36568_9971_7745.jpg gallery_36568_9971_27338.jpg

gallery_36568_9971_103054.jpg

It's rather difficult to give feedback due to the dark pictures but from what I can make out he looks good. I particularly like the red; which paints did you end up using? It's great to see that you've tried your hand at freehand symbols. They're not perfect but you've bitten the bullet and done a decent job!

He's just missing a base now! ;)

Yeah I've done a bit of free handing before but it was more the scale of detail to size of area to paint that made it not work so well.  Hopefully will come up better on the current project.  As for the red I ended up going:

- Khorne Red Basecoat

- Wazdakka Red Highlight

- Full Agrax Earthshade Wash

- Squig Orange Highlight

- Kidnleflame Drybrush of extreme edges in the direction the armour would wear.

- Carroburg Crimson full wash.

I hope to get better pics up later.

Thanks for sharing the recipe! And to be honest the freehand looks fine. You just need to continue practicing it if you want to improve the results. :)

And cool, looking forward to seeing more pictures. :tu:

• 2 weeks later...

So its done.... ETL V for me is over. I did it. I actually did it. Two Vows complete. May I present an image dump for you viewing horror...:

Captain Dos Ludovic, Captain of the Iron Heralds First Company

gallery_36568_9971_152416.jpg

gallery_36568_9971_193465.jpg

gallery_36568_9971_24123.jpggallery_36568_9971_40203.jpg

So really not happy with how bad he looks in these pics. I promise in RL he looks better. But then again dont we all say that. There are a lot of things that need touching up etc in these pics but are really zoomed in and from a table top distance he looks alright. Not to the level of many of the painters on this board but I never claimed to be a good painter. I must admit I am thinking of restarting this log with a focus on fluff as much or more then models as thats where my strength lies. But regardless, for now he is done.

And because Dosjetka asked:

gallery_36568_9971_323668.jpgA hopefully better lit picture of Seric

gallery_36568_9971_260906.jpg

And my measly ETL V contribution...

Thought: Perhaps I should start taking more zoomed out images. Models will look better and I wont explode peoples screens with enormous images.

It's nice to see... well, me! :D

The honour is much appreciated and he looks good! Also, restarting logs can help but it also messes up your focus. Stick to the same thread and just introduce fluff as you go along. :)

Thanks Dos, its nice to get some feedback.  Yeah I think I will continue with it, just maybe focus on smaller pictures and a bit of fluff from now on.  I cant say I am truly happy with either model but they are still the best I have done ever.  Next onto some basic Tacticals and Assault guys.

As long as you keep on practicing, you can only progress with your painting. :) You can always come back at a later date, strip the models, and re-paint them if you so wish (not something I recommend but it's always a possibility).

Anyway, if there's anything you need help with painting-wise, just give me a shout!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived