GW FAQ - Dreadnoughts P11, BA P19

Charlo

Ok got that too - it's in the BRB under Transport Capacity.

"Only Infantry models can embark upon Transports (this does not include Jump or Jet Pack Infantry), unless specifically stated otherwise."

Also, about Jump Units (BRB p65):

"Unlike most other unit type categories, 'Jump' is not a classification in and of itself. Instead, you'll find it appears before another category - commonly Infantry..."

So it's kind of a sub-type.

I think the RAW is clear here.

Actually that very sentence makes it unclear. The rules do not say that it is a sub-type. "Unlike other unit type categories" tells us that Jump is in fact a unit type category. "you'll find it appears before another category" reiterates that point.

The following example even makes it explicit that Jump Infantry must follow both sets of rules: "Jump Infantry would, for example, follow the rules for Jump units and Infantry"

So when you have the rule that only Infantry units can embark on a transport, the rules don't work. The unit has to obey both sets of rules. One set (Infantry) says it can embark, and the other says it cannot (Jump). The only way to reconcile this dysfunction is to say that Jump Infantry is the same type as Infantry which is obviously nonsense as they do not have the same set of rules.

Actually that very sentence makes it unclear. The rules do not say that it is a sub-type. "Unlike other unit type categories" tells us that Jump is in fact a unit type category. "you'll find it appears before another category" reiterates that point.

The following example even makes it explicit that Jump Infantry must follow both sets of rules: "Jump Infantry would, for example, follow the rules for Jump units and Infantry"

So when you have the rule that only Infantry units can embark on a transport, the rules don't work. The unit has to obey both sets of rules. One set (Infantry) says it can embark, and the other says it cannot (Jump). The only way to reconcile this dysfunction is to say that Jump Infantry is the same type as Infantry which is obviously nonsense as they do not have the same set of rules.

But the excerpt from the Transport Capacity section is clear and explicit - to me at least. Only Infantry can board Transports except Jump and Jet Pack Infantry. I don't see how that could be any clearer!

But the excerpt from the Transport Capacity section is clear and explicit - to me at least. Only Infantry can board Transports except Jump and Jet Pack Infantry. I don't see how that could be any clearer!

The part in parentheses would only be relevant, if Jump Infantry were Infantry. It is not. As such that part is redundant to the statement that only Infantry can embark.

Let's use the same structure with a few other words to make it even clearer:

"Only water, sugar and citrus fruit may be put in lemonade." This is a clear sentence

"Only water, sugar and citrus fruit (this does not include oranges) may be put in lemonade." This sentence is also clear and the part in parentheses adds information because oranges are citrus fruit.

"Only water, sugar and citrus fruit (this does not include strawberries) may be put in lemonade." Here the part in parentheses does not add information because strawberries are already excluded by the main sentence, as they are neither sugar, water or citrus fruit.

Now how do we know whether Jump Infantry is Infantry? We can go by the name, which obviously is different and so we would need a statement saying that the two different names are equivalent. Such a statement does not exist.

Alternately we could go by the properties of the two. They are not the same (jump infantry follows the rules for both types, infantry only for one).

So jump Infantry cannot be equal to infantry. So either jump infantry cannot embark in all transports, or Wings of Sanguinius does work on Jump Infantry. It cannot be both by RAW.

Yeah, and just think of things like a Wraithknight, a Nemesis Dreadknight with personal teleporter or a Riptide, which are a Jump Gargantian Creature, Jump Monstrous Creature and Jet Pack Monstrous Creature respectively if I'm not mistaken. I very much doubt that makes them unable to be counted for anything that just mentions Monstrous/Gargantuan Creatures, like some Maelstrom of War Tactical Objective cards and psychic powers do.

Yeah, and just think of things like a Wraithknight, a Nemesis Dreadknight with personal teleporter or a Riptide, which are a Jump Gargantian Creature, Jump Monstrous Creature and Jet Pack Monstrous Creature respectively if I'm not mistaken. I very much doubt that makes them unable to be counted for anything that just mentions Monstrous/Gargantuan Creatures, like some Maelstrom of War Tactical Objective cards and psychic powers do.

That most likely is not the intention, but as written, if they are still of the same type, so is jump infantry of the same type as Infantry and thus would be allowed to embark on any transport as long as the capacity is large enough.

@ Quixus, I see, we're talking about this in the context of Wings of Sanguinius (sorry, I missed that - thought we we talking about Transports only).

I would say that WoS can target Jump Infantry in that case, because Jump Infantry are still Infantry just like Jump Monstrous Creatures are still Monstrous Creatures.

I don't agree with your oranges / strawberries analogy at all. Strawberries are not citrus fruit, oranges are. Jump Infantry are still infantry. Jump is a prefix. They follow the rules for Infantry (which don't mention embarking on Transports by the way, that's in the Transports section) plus the provisions the jump pack allows (12" move, use in movement or assault, HoW etc).

It even says under Unit Types > Infantry: "Infantry units include all types of foot soldiers...".

I don't understand what there is to not understand, or why you would think Wings of Sanguinius can't be used to target Jump Infantry!

The Dark Angels FAQ was posted at 3:22 PM British time - which would be approximately 6 hours from now. Other FAQs were all posted in their afternoon as well, sometimes even in the evening. Patience, Brothers.

aaah, poo. 

The Dark Angels FAQ was posted at 3:22 PM British time - which would be approximately 6 hours from now. Other FAQs were all posted in their afternoon as well, sometimes even in the evening. Patience, Brothers.

What a glorious day.  The Radeon RX 480 and the Blood Angels FAQ will be unleashed unto the world on the same day at approximately the same time.

My disappointment will be indescribable.

Okay!

So a comprehensive somewhat realistic wishlist (some of which we know already):

Dreads: 4 Attacks base / 13|13|10 AV maybe / Cassor Included in 4A buff/ Frag cannon 2D3 Wall of Death

Scouts: WS/BS4 Errata

Corbulo: Can we affect our opponents dice/ Seize roll?

Psychic: Can wings target Jump Infantry/ Confirmation we can use the AoD Disciplines

Relics: Is it one per model?

Tech Marine: Wounds/ Points

Vanguard Veterans: Heroic Intervention/ Upgrade costs

Terminators: Points Costs lowered

Vehicle Squads: Maybe implement them with same bonuses as codex, potentially even one for Baals

Command Squads: Apoth/ Champ upgrades optional

Let me know of anything I've missed!

Why do we need confirmation about using the AoD powers? It says on the card / book / white dwarf... if anyone really contests stuff like that, you simply don't play with them.

100% agree - but some people are refuting it (it's a case a few pages back in the thread)

Okay!

So a comprehensive somewhat realistic wishlist (some of which we know already):

Dreads: 4 Attacks base / 13|13|10 AV maybe / Cassor Included in 4A buff/ Frag cannon 2D3 Wall of Death

Scouts: WS/BS4 Errata

Corbulo: Can we affect our opponents dice/ Seize roll?

Psychic: Can wings target Jump Infantry/ Confirmation we can use the AoD Disciplines

Relics: Is it one per model?

Tech Marine: Wounds/ Points

Vanguard Veterans: Heroic Intervention/ Upgrade costs

Terminators: Points Costs lowered

Vehicle Squads: Maybe implement them with same bonuses as codex, potentially even one for Baals

Command Squads: Apoth/ Champ upgrades optional

Let me know of anything I've missed!

Cheeky, but - Imperial Marine? Inclusion with BA?

My expectations:

Pretty much guaranteed:

- 1 Relic per model

Very likely:

- Scouts and Scout Bikers erratad to WS4/BS4

- Tech Marine erratad to BS5/W2

Possibly, but probably more likely to be in a supplement or codex:

- Inclusion of new wargear (grav-cannon, eviscerator, cherub)

- Updated frag cannon profile (with solid shot)

Won't see until we get a new (campaign) supplement:

- Gladius Strikeforce-like detachment of formations (and new formations)

- Vehicle Squadrons

- New unit(s), a BA specific flyer dual-kit sounds likely

Won't see until a new edition of the codex:

- Updated point costs for dreadnought weapons, landspeeders, vanguard vets and terminators

- Command Squad unit composition change

Probably won't get:

- AV13 side armour for dreads

- Access to vanilla units like Stormtalon/hawk, Landspeeder Storm, TFC or Centurions

My expectations:

Pretty much guaranteed:

- 1 Relic per model

Very likely:

- Scouts and Scout Bikers erratad to WS4/BS4

- Tech Marine erratad to BS5/W2

Possibly, but probably more likely to be in a supplement or codex:

- Inclusion of new wargear (grav-cannon, eviscerator, cherub)

- Updated frag cannon profile (with solid shot)

Won't see until we get a new (campaign) supplement:

- Gladius Strikeforce-like detachment of formations (and new formations)

- Vehicle Squadrons

- New unit(s), a BA specific flyer dual-kit sounds likely

Won't see until a new edition of the codex:

- Updated point costs for dreadnought weapons, landspeeders, vanguard vets and terminators

- Command Squad unit composition change

Probably won't get:

- AV13 side armour for dreads

- Access to vanilla units like Stormtalon/hawk, Landspeeder Storm, TFC or Centurions

The vanillas can keep their Stormhawk. I want a BA-exclusive Flyer. Since when did the doggies and robed ones get exclusive Flyers but the DESCENT OF ANGELS chapter does not? 

Not expecting one in the FAQ, or anything, but in the big picture....yea.

F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5

Archived