Thor's Blood Angels

Thoridon

Deep striking Melta wing added for the RTS vow:

KG4wwga.jpg

z2SUrOA.jpg

I'll be adding a 2nd squad to drop in with the Captain but not sure whether to go for a 2nd melta Assault Squad or some Company Vets to try absorbing some wounds if he takes any (eg. if he's targeted in melee). As it is 3 melta shots on the drop should have a chance of doing some damage to tough targets, then there's his hammer and the sergeant's fist if they end up in combat.

Thanks :smile.: I'm trying to coordinate all the weapon colours across my armies so it can easily be seen what they use. Power weapons all blue, flamers in orange, force weapons purple etc. I figured that red changing to yellow might reflect the end of the melta barrel heating up (and still stand out from flamers).

I gave the Sergeant a plasma pistol as it syncs with the 12" range of the meltagun but I'm thinking if I do build a 2nd assault squad I might make them run plasmaguns and move this sergeant to that squad, replacing him here with a Fist/Bolt Pistol model just to balance the points a bit better. The main weapon for the sergeant is his Fist to add some melee punch if whatever they shoot on the drop survives to charge them the following turn. Not sure yet.

Edited by Thoridon

My first completed unit of Sanguinary Guard, accompanied by a Priest:

yv8vzSg.jpg

FMM85wq.jpg

Currently just the 4 fully painted but I have another 6 waiting to be done. I also have The Sanguinor to be built so when they're all done I can either run them as a single large squad receiving Sanguinor and Priest buffs or as 2 small independent 4-man squads. With 2 inferno pistols per 4 (or 4 per 10) they should have some pre-charge shots to strip wounds off tough models while the axes (and swords for the next batch) have some all-round effectiveness.

The Priest got a Fist as it was the best way I could think of modelling an old storm bolter too, without modifying the apothecary thingy and grail on the other arm. It also lets him pack a punch if he runs into anything nasty.

Edited by Thoridon

My first ever Blood Angels have had a long overdue repaint. 2nd Edition Tactical Squad repaired and upgraded:

Original:

BLh59uO.jpg

Now:

5mh3zqw.jpg

0wdvPjl.jpg

8JLhnJx.jpg

A flamer and Missile Launcher aren't really what I'd give a squad now but these models have (mostly) survived probably 20 years together so I didn't want to split them up by adding new models in. The only change I made was with the Sergeant; as he had a missing arm and a broken chainsword I used new parts to give him a combi-Melta and Power Sword. I also double-based them by puting the old 25mm bases on top of 32mm, as that brings them to about the same height as new Marines. I think the milliput hides the change of base ok, with the added 'grass'. Some glue is still drying as I just did the bases, so you'll have to excuse a couple of shiny spots. A couple of them still had decals/transfers on the shoulders for the chapter symbol but the rest I just tried to paint by hand.

I figure they'll see some game time if I want a jack-of-all-trades squad with extra bodies. I could also just run 5 or 6 of them. If I do run a smaller unit or mix any new models in I think the flamer would be the first to be dropped as there are better special weapons for that slot in 8th, but I'll try to keep them together first for nostalgia.

Quite pleased with how they've come out.

• 6 months later...

I did have him with a similar skin tone to Corbulo and golden hair but he looked too... pretty. Had to adjust that to go more pale and stark.

I like him with the pale color. He is often entombed or in his chambers running through the warp. Him being tan wouldn't make much sense. It also gives off that sweet vampire vibe.

Edited by Aothaine

• 5 months later...

Reinforcements have arrived in the form of a box of old models and bits I didn't know I still had, most missing arms, weapons, legs etc.

Zawik1v.jpg

Still no sign of my old metal Mephiston but I do now have original Dante's jump pack to go with his weapon...

These old models are getting replacement parts from my spare bits box and double-based onto 32mm, and thankfully I don't think the old paint is too thick so they can get fresh coats to be brought in line. Oh, and that's the original turret for the Predator on page 1 I thought was long lost.

Edited by Thoridon

• 7 months later...

It's about time for an update.

I'm planning to paint quite a bit during ETL this year, with my first vow over 2k points. Too many models have been sitting on shelves unpainted!

WIP so far on the first two squads:

5eLy6V5.jpg

The main colours are in place - now I need to do some more shading and highlights in places, tidy a few bits up and then get the bases done.

On that note I'll be completely rebasing my army, starting with these new ETL units. Not quite sure what scheme yet, but it'll hopefully look a lot better than the quick green paint and tufts of 'grass' that was only intended to be a temporary solution.

I have a new approach to the red too, which is being retroactively applied to all my previous units to make them stand out a little more on the tabletop.

Edited by Thoridon

Think I settled on my new basing.

QTThW41.jpg

I didn't want a full green base as lush grassland doesn't really fit in with the grimness 40k, so no textured replication of the good old goblin green bases. I tried some reddish tones for a Baal theme but felt they didn't provide enough contrast to the red armour, especially when a light isn't directly shining on the model as it is for that picture. GW's Armageddon Dunes (the far right base) with some washing and drybush I think gives enough contrast to the red while still allowing the half dry tufts of grass to work, which lets me get a little bit of green onto the base.

It's not the best quality photo but in normal light it looks quite like this:

XmEBt4x.jpg

I think I can work various little stones and grass tufts into that for some variation so if I'm happy with how it looks on these first ETL vows I'll expand it onto the rest of the army after.

Edited by Thoridon

Those grass tufts are sold by our local independent retailer. Looking at the pack, it seems they're originally sourced from here:

http://www.joefix-studio.be/producten.asp?taal=UK&groep=100

There are a bunch of different versions, some with flowers. These are the 'spring grass tufts' (#149 on the list) as the mix of brown and green strands fit nicely for what I want on these bases.

There are probably similar things made by different people all round the world. I don't know if this particular company do direct sales or just sell to hobby stores. Good quality though, and I think we have about 6 packs with the different varieties/themes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks :) It's still a fairly simple approach but it'll be easy enough to apply over the rest of my army once the ETL is done and looks a lot better.

Speaking of the ETL I've started on my vehicles. I've been a bit slower than I hoped - I really should finish my first vow soon as I still have this lot waiting to see who's going to make it into vow 2:

lLCGCEv.png

• 3 weeks later...