Thor's Blood Angels

Thoridon

• 3 weeks later...

Just in time for regular marines to see their (likely) final year(s) I’ve finally built and magnetised a couple of Razorbacks/Rhinos. Better late than never!

DMdSjby.jpg

I’ll just have to try and get them painted and used in a game before they become Legends :p

Next up, a couple of Land Raiders... notice a theme?

Just in time for regular marines to see their (likely) final year(s) I’ve finally built and magnetised a couple of Razorbacks/Rhinos. Better late than never!DMdSjby.jpg

I’ll just have to try and get them painted and used in a game before they become Legends :p

Nice, got a couple of Razorbacks on my desk as well! :D

Firstborn are still good, so why the big E not! :)

Just in time for regular marines to see their (likely) final year(s) I’ve finally built and magnetised a couple of Razorbacks/Rhinos. Better late than never!

DMdSjby.jpg

I’ll just have to try and get them painted and used in a game before they become Legends :tongue.:

Aso liking the magging of the things - I didnt have any ideas on the top plate, would a photo of the  magnet positions there be possible?

Cheers!

I'm still going ham on firstborn. Was it an artistic choice to model the forgeworld assault cannon like that? :p Are you happy with that assault cannon? I got one myself but I dont really like it, it looks like there is no friction at where the barrels touch the main body and it always looks like its drooping.

Aso liking the magging of the things - I didnt have any ideas on the top plate, would a photo of the magnet positions there be possible?

Cheers!

Of course :)

E26LQLR.jpg

I just put magnets at the end of the ‘slot’ for the turret plate and each of the weapons. It’s handy having that as it means they’re all in the same position without needing any measurements. The slot itself doesn’t engage - it actually sits a tiny bit on top- but with 4 magnets it holds firm and really holds together well, and you don’t see it isn’t glued unless you hold it upside down to see the magnets.

I'm still going ham on firstborn. Was it an artistic choice to model the forgeworld assault cannon like that? :p Are you happy with that assault cannon? I got one myself but I dont really like it, it looks like there is no friction at where the barrels touch the main body and it always looks like its drooping.

If you mean the magnets being visible on the FW turret then yeah :) It’s a play piece rather than a display piece and I didn’t feel like embedding all the magnets into the resin. Plus I don’t think it looks too bad, I see it as the weapons being out on the end of an axle. It was mostly to keep it simple - and I have some other models/weapons with magnets already done that way I can interchange.

I haven’t had a problem with drooping. There is a lack of friction but for me the body of the turret is horizontal at its lowest, and with the weapons being magnetised I can angle them up without having to adjust the turret itself. I don’t know if the cannons would’ve been pointing slightly down if they’d been glued in.

Edited by Thoridon

RE: FW turret - You could see if you can find a straw/plastic tube that's just slightly bigger than the magnets. This can make a cowling that's only glue on one side of the straw. That way the magnets are covered and everything is flushed.

Edited by Spagunk

Aso liking the magging of the things - I didnt have any ideas on the top plate, would a photo of the magnet positions there be possible?

Cheers!

Of course :)

E26LQLR.jpg

I just put magnets at the end of the ‘slot’ for the turret plate and each of the weapons. It’s handy having that as it means they’re all in the same position without needing any measurements. The slot itself doesn’t engage - it actually sits a tiny bit on top- but with 4 magnets it holds firm and really holds together well, and you don’t see it isn’t glued unless you hold it upside down to see the magnets.

Consider it stolen! I have a subconscious bias to making things sit flush bit this is way less hassle than a bunch of drilling into thin components.

• 2 weeks later...

My god, how did I not notice your 2nd ed marines with the serge conversions, those are ace! Got any closer up photos of them? @Appiah05 will have a fit.

Sorry, I’d missed this over Christmas. These?

mqpw179.jpg

I have around 12 of the original 20 marines from my old 2nd Edition starter box. They were in various states of disrepair so I rebuilt as many as I could with newer replacement parts (most marines missed their original backpacks and the Sergeant had broken arms). The underlying paint is the same but I gave a quick update to the reds to make them a closer match to my newer reds.

I keep finding an extra model here and there in random boxes uncovered in the loft. So far no sign of the other original sergeant.

They still see the table top when I put Tactical squads in play :)

• 2 weeks later...

As I had my models painted last year out for the 2019 showcase I thought it would be a good time to get everything together and see how my whole painted army currently looks. Here it is!

hydCAQy.jpg

The models range from my original 2nd Edition tactical marines and various other old models through to newer Primaris I started adding. The Predator top left was an old kitbash and the dreadnought in front of the Storm Raven is the old metal model you could easily kill an elephant with. I’ve mixed some other old metal models into Death Company squads and so on. The Terminator squads in particular are made up from around 3 generations of models, from metals to old plastics to new plastics.

As the collection started in the early 90s the painting quality varies quite a bit but I’ve tried not to strip anything unless it was truly awful (I do have a bunch of old bikes and various metal figures I had to strip awaiting a repaint). What I did do for older models I didn’t strip was try to update the red to be a closer match to my present day recipe. There is some disparity but it seems to tie in fairly well from a tabletop level.

From here I do have a few boxes of old marines to build and paint, which will mostly be extra heavy weapons for dev/tac squads and more death company marines, plus a few vehicles. Then I have new Primaris units in the queue.

Oh, I do have a few Flesh Tearers just so I can run a patrol detachment if I want to run Seth in a game - usually allied to my Imperial Guard.

A lot of these models spent too many years unpainted in boxes so it’s nice to have them game-ready at last :) Just in time for most to be made obsolete!

• 2 months later...

I’m using the lockdown to work through my backlog, building as many remaining boxes as I can ready for the next ETL. I also decided to strip a bunch of old (and very badly painted) models ready to repaint:

jVWbJsw.jpg

There are a bunch of old character models in there and several basic metal bodies I’ll be using to put spare heavy weapons on from new Devastator sprues to expand my options there.

Thanks :smile.: If/when ETL kicks off this year, that army pic should expand with all my remaining old marines being prepared for painting.

The metal models I stripped weren't in the above picture as they were in a "box of shame" waiting for me to decide what to do with them. It turns out on half of them I'd painted BA colours over IF colours over Ultramarine colours. No wonder the paint was so thick it looked like I'd used custard! Now they're stripped back to reveal that glorious old metal detail I've updated a bunch of them with new plastic bits to bring them up to Codex standard.

I've managed to put together about 25-30 new heavy weapon marines along with a few bolter bodies and a dozen or so new sergeants with a mixture of weaponry so between all those I should be able to flesh out about 5 different Devastator squads and have some more heavy options for my Tacticals. It's quite handy that even the latest plastic Devastator parts still fit perfectly on old metal bodies - I'll get a few pics up.

Edited by Thoridon

Any older plastic kits and metals get the double basing to even out height discrepancies. Once everything is fully painted and based even the old 2nd edition uni-pose marines don't look too out of place from a tabletop distance :) It gives everything an important height increase over imperial guard models.

• 2 months later...

Mephiston is just about done for the lockdown challenge:

vxK5wUz.jpg

Thought I’d try to create a fiery glow effect from Vitarus, as a lot of the artwork for him shows the sword in full flame. Just going to give it a little time and see if anything pops out as needing more work.

I also decided the dangly bits from the belt would get in the way of the glow/shadows on the cloak so I left that bit off and filled the gap in.

Edited by Thoridon