Blood Angel Flavor Discussions

Phiasco

Actually a +1 or +2 on charge distance would be a pretty cool rule for Death Company... do any circumstances grant that in the game for any other units?

I don't think BA in general or DC in particular need a greater threat range. They aren't quicker than other marines, or have longer legs. A more reliable threat range however (like d6+6 or d6+d3+3) would be much appreciated, and could represent their predilection to get into CC.

Actually a +1 or +2 on charge distance would be a pretty cool rule for Death Company... do any circumstances grant that in the game for any other units?

I don't think BA in general or DC in particular need a greater threat range. They aren't quicker than other marines, or have longer legs. A more reliable threat range however (like d6+6 or d6+d3+3) would be much appreciated, and could represent their predilection to get into CC.

Good point, I think that would work nicely!

You know, BA only rolling a single D6 and then getting +6, or even just doubling the result for charges could be awesome.

Rolling one d6 and doubling the result would mean that you have an equal probability of getting 2", 4", 6", 8", 10" or 12" charge distance and no chance of getting an odd distance. I doubt that would make charging more reliable.

Yeah D6 +6 would be preferable, effectively guaranteeing the maximum on one of the two dice we roll now... As Quixus said it doesn't increase the maximum charge range of 12" but it represents the extra ferocity of the Death Company over other marines. Feels right to me...

You know, looking back I fully support something that gives us the same feeling as 30k does.

I remember reading the descriptions for Day of Revelation and thinking, "yeah, these are definitely the Angels."

Plus, I fee like with the Time of Ending it fits even better. The locusts have been set upon the Galaxy, fire rains from the sky, the Galaxy trembles, Chaos is being let loose and the eight headed monster is carving a path through to Terra.

Now, more than ever, the Day of Revelation fits our character. Plus the legion special rule of -1 on a roll to wound.

'In the Time of Ending we will see the final flight of the Dead Angels Host. They rise above us on howling wings. They fall upon us in a celestial storm. At their vanguard flies the Last Archangel.

To the Neverborn he will be the Death-that-Soars. To you and I, he will be a mortal man bearing the immortal face of his fallen father. To the Imperium of Man he will be hope.

A warrior of infinite courage. A soldier of infinite sorrows. Beware the golden mask that forever stares and never smiles, weeping tears of frozen gold.'

Black legion prophecy.

There, there is my Blood Angel flavour. Give me the celestial storm and if it be our final flight I will make it such an end!

R

Well charge on a 3d6 as BA red thirst universial rule is on my fandex list.

Charge distance have nothing to do with physical condition.

Eversor assasin charge that range with a drug injection (still being a human) so why madening blood-hunger can't cause that condition?

I would say that this (with a stable rerolls for jump packs) will greatly help to define BA love for those jumping.

And Blood angles NEED that threat range. We want to be in battle. We want enemy fears us. 18 is not a relyable thing - that's truth - but that is a greater on a psycological level - it's a threat. 18 inch away - naaawh you won't roll three sixes. but 16? two 5-th and one 6 - is not so impossible. And there is overwatch that we can negate.

And with re-rolling for jump packs...

As long as we're getting a bit rules heavy with the discussions here, try this home brewed Sanguinius character sheet my buddy and I came up with and have played several games with. We tried to focus on two things: fluff representation and under poweredness.  Seeing as how my friend was using primarchs with released rules we didn't want to super fan boi plot armor Sanguinius up too much. Here's what we came up with:

Sanguinius
WS 8, BS 5, S 6, T 6, W 6, I 7, A 5, L10, Sv 2/4                 450 Pts

Special Rules:
-Primarch (Independant Character, Eternal Warrior, Fear, Adamantium Will, Fleet, Fearless, It Will Not Die, Master of the Legion)
-Sire of the Blood Angels (Sanguinor Bubble, Descent of Angels, Gives Blood Angels Fleet, Blood Angels May use his Leadership)
-Bulky
-Angel's Wings (Sanguinius is a Jump Infantry, see Angels Wings relic)

Wargear:
-Artificer Armor
-Iron Halo
-Frag Grenades
-Blade Encarmine (Str: user +1, AP: 2, Master Crafted, Shred, Two Handed, Deathfire)

What do you think? Did we achieve optimal fluff without going overboard on the power level?

That is pretty much on the money I recon.

I think something to do with Morale as a buff too, maybe fearless but if he dies there is a bigger consequence - kind of like an Etheral for Tau. He loved his sons and they loved him!

I think his WS would be 9 though, he needs to be the highest of the Primarch's IMO, especially as he'l be one of the few with no ranged output, but that may be erring on fanboyism tongue.png

He should be able to Vector Strike I think with S7 AP2 as a special rule and maybe get a special hammer of Wrath like Corax?

Hit & Run would be a fair inclusion too.

One more for luck - should be able to do something similar to Dorn with Halving his attacks rounding down to go 2x S and get Instant Death - so he can bend some daemons over his knee.

I'd even go as far to say that he could get a special rule that gives him a better invuln or some kind of extra defense on a turn he deep strikes.

I love the new Deathfire swords, with that he could be a genuine threat to Horus as he should be. I bet he gets a deep strike rule, somethi like the formation rule from white dwarf causing impact hits to any within 6'.

Sooooo damn excited to see him on the table!

I also wonder he will be one of the few primarchs able to activate 'force'. He has been described as wielding a sword in defense of the eternity gate that blazed with psychic flame impossible to look at. Wish listing again lol

I think his stats may need to be bumped up a tiny bit, he needs to be able to handily beat Horus as he currently is in the HH rule set and fall to him later when Horus is strengthened by warp entities.

Also if you guys are seriously thinking about 30k there is a special assault unit called destroyers that come with duel bolt pistols and the ability to take toughness reducing weaponry. They can be accompanied by an HQ unit known as a moritat who can take two inferno pistols (Blood Angel only load out). Additionally a BA legion force can take assault cannons on a ton of different units furthering their close firepower persona. So if you're after flavor 30k is where it's at!

I'm getting more and more excited about HH BA... Is it best to wait for the book that actually has us in, or is there a generic book currently available that I'll need / want in order to get into list building?

I'm getting more and more excited about HH BA... Is it best to wait for the book that actually has us in, or is there a generic book currently available that I'll need / want in order to get into list building?

You sir are in luck, the updated version of the 30k legions 'codex' just went up for sale:

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/The-Horus-heresy-legiones-Astartes-Age-of-Darkness-Army-List

Sure there are no specific BA units yet but they have two 'rights of war' available and a couple specific wargear options to add to your HQs. Even without the specific BA units you could still build a very flavorful force and add the specific units when they are released (likely in early 2017)

Having recently spent quite a bit on hobby stuff....... I'm going to have to hide this particular purchase from my girlfriend! :D

Yes!! Haha that's awesome. I'm in love with your angels already, I cannot wait to see what you'll do in the heresy setting!

• 2 weeks later...
So with the 'winter is coming' thread in the rumors page getting some new life breathed into it with the suggestion that all the primarchs will be coming back (and really is anyone surprised by that? Gw wants to make money after all) I've been wondering how Sanguinius would be brought back. *Note* I'm not interested in if he ~should~ come back, just in how it might happen if it does. Personally I've always favored the Sanguinor angle. Perhaps the Sanguinor, having finally received permission from Dad to do so, steps into the golden sarcophagus and the Angel steps back out. Something like that anyways.

Archived