Geekz Raven Guard

Geekz_on_fire

Hey B&C!  I've been a fan of 40k for over 15 years but I've never owned any 40k models or played a game.  After starting up with Seraphon in AoS for my first hit of plastic crack, I've finally decided to start my 40k army!  It took months of deliberation, research, and general waffling, but I'm finally happy with my choice to do Raven Guard.  The fluff, the rules, and very unique play style that the chapter specific formations provide really call to me (plus I just like jump packs and beaky helmets).

Anyways, I've decided to document my progress here as a means to keep myself motivated, and to bounce ideas around.  Hopefully I can provide some enjoyment for people laughing at my mistakes along the way, and glean some knowledge from the veterans here as well : )

So here I begin:

http://i.imgur.com/Lqecadv.jpg

My first purchases assembled -

5 Van Vets, 2x TH/SS, 3x LCs

5 Tac Marines, Grav/Combi-Grav

5 Sniper Scouts (will use my Seraphon feather bits to spruce up one rifle for Nihilus)

5 ASM, 2x flamers

1 Stormtalon (one more still in box - Raptor Wing almost done!)

and my favorite model which will be my captain - the Deathwatch RG model

It's been hovering around 90 with absolutely horrid humidity for weeks now so I've yet to be able to prime anything.  My feelings on assembly so far - Across the chest gun poses suck to glue, and I'm constantly questioning if I'm giving models the right loadout.  I've seen plenty of batreps and I have a general idea of how effective each weapon is, but having never played a game myself, I can't help second guessing my choices.

I may post my novice idea of a good 1850 list for you fellows to pick apart.  It would definitely put me at ease making my next purchases and assembling them knowing that I'm building towards a viable list.

Add a Land Speeder Storm with 5 Bolter Scouts, and a Razorback (you ought to have a spare TL Assault Cannon or 2 if those Stormtalons came from the new kit) with 5 or 6 Marines. That will give you someyhing fun to Outflank with, and they can arrive turn 1 on a 4+ as part of a Pinion DemiCo and Talon SF.

The Raptorwing is gold! It really turned around a tough game vs AdMech (w/ knight) yesterday. I mostly ignored the knight, but my Fliers ripped everything else to shreds. I got him 10-7 on victory points. He conceded on turn 4 because I had decimated his scoring units, and the rest were too far away from the objectives he drew to do any good that turn, plus we were playing the mission where you can steal numbered objectives.

I actually picked up 2 of the older stormtalon kits since they're $10 cheaper than the new multi kit.

Probably holding off on new purchases til I get this lot painted, but I am thinking about getting the new BA jump chaplain and converting it up a bit.

Welcome to the Ranenspire! This is a good start ^_^

I've been in the same weather. I got around that by spraying one side at a time, bringing the box inside and blowing a fan of the models. This keeps the humidity on the models and spray paint to a minimum. Admittedly, I do this when I really need models ready. The ETL forced this process.

Welcome, Geekz. I've got an 8 month headstart on you, having returned to 40k after a long time away, but I get the feeling your model count will overtake mine very quickly.

Looking forward to seeing those painted up when you get more sensible weather.

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing yours as well; it's nice to have motivation and inspiration from other sources : )

I've got enough bits to make my last 5 tac marines from the box another 5 man squad with melta/combi-melta for a drop pod. Would this be the wisest way to do it, or should I flesh out the rest of my 5 man grav squad?

Also, I want to get in to some low point games ASAP (leaving the stormtalons out ofc, I'm not a jerk). I'll have to pace out my purchases from here on, so should I get a drop pod and razorback, or more troops?

Lastly, I'm planning to camp my Nihilus sniper scouts with a dev squad. What's the best heavy weapon load out for a 5 man dev squad with ignores cover? My list has a ton of anti-horde, so I think lascannons are probably best? Everyone says MLs are bad. Why?

People dislike missiles because they lack AP2. It simply takes too many shots to kill a vehicle without the bonus to damage result from AP 2 or 1 weapons. Unless you're firing a bunch of shots at once, like from Typhoon speeders or a full Devestator squad, missiles are sub par.

You can certainly do a full dev squad with four missiles, and just tuck the las cannons into tac squads or something.

^ That advice also keeps costs low, which can matter depending on the rest of the army.

The thing is (I think), Grav is that good: Salvo fire means you will get shots on the move (if you have to), more if you stand still and you are using the target's value versus a fixed value of the weapon your unit is carrying.  It's a versatile weapon and it's high cost is worth it to those who push for it's use.  It's almost illogical not to use it.

There are a few threads scattered around that discusses various weapon loadouts: in Ultramarine forum is a Tactical Squad thread and the Astartes general forum has a Devastator Squad thread worth considering, not to mention whatever can be found in the Tactica forum.

Ultimately, there is no "best", no single loadout that trumps all others.  If that existed then the question would be moot ;)

• 2 weeks later...

http://i.imgur.com/tvd40sx.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5YqZ3E3.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xJozjiu.jpg

First marine done.  I think?  Couldn't seem to get my hand to steady tonight in order to do edge highlighting so I went for a quick dry brush instead.  Still catches the details and is good enough for table top.

Looks good!

I know you said you had some issues doing it but if you could edge highlight just the top side of the bolter it would really pop (ie the edge just about the Aquila and the same on the opposite side).

Those ones are relatively easy because you should just be able to hold the brush at 45 degrees and grab the edges with the side of the brush.

Archived