AM counter for Warlord Titan?

How many points are you playing in total? 2900pts + 3x Knights? Hope you guys took a week off from work to play that game!

He only recently got it, and it's not even assembled, much less painted to his standard. Needless to say, we haven't played that game, and we won't, until I can adequately counter it. This is more theoryhammer at this point. Wondering where I have to go with my army if we ever do decide to play that game... His Warlord the way he wants it kitted sits around 2750-2850 points depending on which carapace weapons he decides to use (FW only offers parts for a couple of the weapons it can take, leaving the rest up to the owner's imagination and innovation for now).

The 3 knights he has are 2 Gallants and a Crusader, mostly purchased to support his Black Templars, along with his warhound.

I am joking, of course. That'd be a rude thing to do....how well do you know this guy and how badly do you want to beat him? smile.png

Very rude, considering how long it would already take me to play my army normally (so many minis...). I Know him pretty well, and suffice to say he's a pretty good friend of mine. He's one of those guys that we theory craft, and try to out cheese each other. Neither of us would do that to an opponent we don't know, and He'd only bring all that titan cheese to the table if we agreed to it. He basically got the model because he thought it would be fun to build and paint, and maybe use every now and then in an Apoc game. Which a LGS has one every year, basically 4k per player. He'd go Apoc and run titans and I'd run IG. Like I said before, this is all theoryhammer, trying to figure out where to go next for my army.

Seriously, though. I have found that thinking like a boxer in 40k often helps. There are sluggers and there are dancers. Sluggers want to get in and hit as hard as possible and win through brute strength. Dancers fight like Muhammad Ali: float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.

If we're using the fight analogy, I'm a traditional Jiu Jitsu guy. I try to find the vital points, strike or lock them and then use my opponent's energy against him, to work the throw. I try to get in do as much damage as possible, and always have an out or a countermove. Grappling is like chess, which is how I tend to look at 40k. I try to think 2 moves ahead, and force the choice I want.

I would look at the Warlord Titan as essentially an uber Death Star: how would you win against one? By building your own mega Death star? Or by outmanuevering, out-lasting, and out-smarting them?

My current theory is to bring enough volume of sufficient strength weapons to get the shields down and then hammer it from multiple directions with the biggest guns I can find. Also, having more things than he can kill in 7 turns would help immensely.

I don't know the Warlord's stats, but I can bet that anything less than another one will lose going up against it. So rather, don't play that game and swarm him with numerical superiority. You can buy 17+ Vanquishers for 2900pts. Even if the thing has 5 independently tracking D-weapons, he can't kill all those things in less than 3-4 Turns.

You'd think, but the Warlord Titan doesn't need to target units, it can target whole sections of the table and just kill whatever is under it's templates...

Difficult to say because we don't know what you have. Most players who are at the point where they are playing against a titan have over 2900 points in their armies, but few have the kind of apocalypse-level ordnance necessary to bring down 20 hull points of AV15 that is vomiting large blasts at strength D or worse all over the table. If your army is not a finely-tuned murder machine, all is not lost. By mixing and matching your detachments from Elysian, Cadian, standard AM and Militarum Tempestus, you can creatively reserve in order to defeat your opponent on the mission. No matter how powerful it is, it can only be in one place at a time. Once you kill his knights, you can spend the rest of the game deep striking minimum size squads onto objectives and strategically dropping them from Valks and Vendettas (which the titan will have a lot of trouble with).

What you've said has merit. And I built a list using what I have, to accomplish that. It's a combination of Tempestus, Elysian D-99 (5x man vets with meltagun and missile launcher, melta command squad, and Vehicle hunting Vultures), Armored Battlegroup (Best I can do, not having enough tanks for the Emperor's fist, but obsec russes, bonus), and the superheavy formation from CBG, chock full of Shadowswords. Rounded out with options to 4765 points, exactly what my theoretical opponent would have (taking some AdMech Stuff, to get the warlord in a bound list).

On this assumption, I recommend that you ignore the titan, alpha strike the crap out of his other assets and when they're dead, just write off your alpha strike and let men in boots drop, capture and die to his big, expensive war machine.

That certainly works, assuming that we're playing Maelstrom, and not eternal war, where scoring happens at the end of the game. I know it's nuts, but some of us still play eternal war...

If you think about it, you win either way. If you win, you beat a Warlord titan. If you lose, duh, he had a Warlord titan--of course you lost. So you've already won, we just need to see to what degree.

Again, assuming that It's a Maelstrom game, and that I don't end up tabled. Moral victories are meaningless and hollow. I want a tangible victory.

I had already planned to get the Renegade box, to get 2 more knights. Then It's 3 Baneblade kits, which I will magnetize so I can use any variant. I think that will help me out tremendously. Minus the enginseer, the Superheavy Company, and 3 knights comes out to exactly the cost of his titan...

I'm just wondering how big a table you'd need to really take advantage of the model's rules. A standard 4x6 table almost puts the opponent's DZ within minimum range. It's a huge model. I almost want to say you'd need a 12x8 table. Which is nuts...

We noticed this in an Apoc game where someone brought a scratch build Emperor Titan (pictures here). That thing has a serious minimum range limitation.

On the other hand, anything within that minimum range is seriously censored.gif if the Titan gets destroyed, cause that is one big bang once it goes.

When your friend gets it built, maybe you could post a picture of the Titan? Or better yet, have him join B&C too tongue.png

I most assuredly will. He's in Arizona right now, interning with Intel. He's a member here I think, though not nearly as active as I am. I kinda hope he doesn't have it finished when he gets back, because I wanna help...

Archived