Duz does RG

duz_

Thanks! :)
Tbh I just experiment! Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Hardest part is remembering what I did! ;) 

Mixing up washes certainly helps! :)

From memory its:

• Ulthuan grey base,
  • followed by a 50:50 mix of Fleshshade + Nightshade
  • once its dried (because it was a bit too blue and pale) I hit it with 50:50 mix of lahmian medium + nulin oil

I might do a light dry brush of Ushanti Bone, Pallid Wych Flesh or Flayed One Flesh, just for a bit more tone and pop

Based on the list I took last weekend, plus some minor changes to ensure WYSIWYG.

I have the following to paint up to at the very least 3 colour minimum, although ideally a table top standard by the last weekend of May:

• Scout Squad
    • Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol,
    • Boltgun 3x Scout w/Boltgun
    • Scout w/Heavy Weapon: Heavy bolter
  • Tactical Squad
    • Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Heavy bolter
  • Tactical Squad
    • Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Heavy bolter
  • Hellblaster Squad:
    • Plasma incinerator 4x Hellblaster
    • Hellblaster Sergeant: Bolt pistol
  • Chaplain: Jump Pack, Plasma pistol
  • Aggressor Squad:
    • 2x Aggressor, Aggressor Sergeant, Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Grenade Launcher
  • Terminator Assault Squad:
    • Teleport Homer
  • Vanguard Veteran Squad: Jump Pack
    • Space Marine Veteran: Power sword, Storm shield
    • Space Marine Veteran: Bolt pistol, Power fist
    • Space Marine Veteran: Power sword, Storm shield

Which is not as bad as I thought, although I would like to get my camo pattern on as many models as possible and there are still a few models that are painted that don't have camo either. So we shall see how I go as time will be tight for me between now and then. I will also have to practice with my army and mission set too!

Given I have 1 pt to spare, I will probably change out a VV power sword for power axe and maybe a power maul on the other sword if I can find one... 

Egads ... a ... Terminator squad?!

:wub:

Yes indeed! To be honest I rediscovered I had them when doing some hobby chores the other week and did their basing + RG badges

gallery_87434_12256_254446.jpg

They also did work teleporting in and bashing in some robot faces the other day :smile.:

gallery_87434_12256_22226.jpg

So now I just need to paint their homer, as it actually has rules and I have a few thoughts on how to use it :biggrin.:

EDIT:

Well news just in, as I posted this my friend informed me the TO's have announced a 1650pt limit...

Which I didn't mind last edition, this edition I'm not convinced it actually gains you much. So now I will have to significantly revise my list :ermm:

Edited by duz_

Egads ... a ... Terminator squad?!

:wub:

Yes indeed! To be honest I rediscovered I had them when doing some hobby chores the other week and did their basing + RG badges

gallery_87434_12256_254446.jpg

They also did work teleporting in and bashing in some robot faces the other day :smile.:

gallery_87434_12256_22226.jpg

So now I just need to paint their homer, as it actually has rules and I have a few thoughts on how to use it :biggrin.:

EDIT:

Well news just in, as I posted this my friend informed me the TO's have announced a 1650pt limit...

Which I didn't mind last edition, this edition I'm not convinced it actually gains you much. So now I will have to significantly revise my list :ermm:

So having played around with my list a little bit it seems late I will likely lose my Terminators and Jump Chaplain to hit the 1650 target :(
I am quite disappointed in the change, especially because as opposed to last edition where the game was definitely faster at the 1500 - 1650 pt mark. I am not convinced in 8th that is the case and actually enjoy playing 2000pt games, where as in 7th I would prefer 1500.

In the meanwhile I am 3/5 through my Hellblasters. I would like to finish them this weekend, but we have a busy social schedule so I don't like my chances. I also have a 2000pt game tomorrow to help a friend prep for a tournament. Which on the upside means I get to play the list I would have liked to bring. I will try and take plenty of pics :)

And for listening to my rambles here are some highlighted Hellblasters:

gallery_87434_12256_174692.jpg

Thanks!

I think its (yes I can't remember already...) celestial grey base, nulin wash, ulthuan grey dry brush.

I used to layer the final coat, but after seeing some other Ravenspire Frater impressive results with the dry brush. I copied I borrowed the technique this time and I'm very pleased.

I did all the dry brushing first. That way I could go back and do a solid job of cleaning up the overspray. I think it paid off. :)

• 1 month later...

So... less than a month until the tournament, I have done 0 practice and 0 painting!
On top of that we decided to purchase a house and are moving this weekend

That means the liklihood of doing any further painting is also close to 0

The event also went back up to 2000pts, which means I need to field items I'm comfortable with and are already painted. For fun I'm thinking of the following list:

Battalion
Regimental Doctrine: Mordian

+ HQ +

Company Commander, Laspistol, Power sword

Lord Commissar, Bolt pistol, Power fist, Power sword

+ Troops +

Infantry Squad

Grenade Launcher

Heavy bolter

2x Infantry Squad
Grenade Launcher
Autocannon

Militarum Tempestus Scions (5)
2x Plasma gun

+ Elites +
Bullgryns (3)
Bullgryn Maul, Slabshield

Ministorum Priest, Autogun, Chainsword, Laspistol

Platoon Commander, Plasma pistol, Power sword

Veterans
3x Plasma gun

+ Fast Attack +
Hellhound, Heavy Bolter, Track Guards

+ Heavy Support +
2x Basilisks

+ Flyer +
Valkyries, Missile Pods

Battalion
*Chapter Selection*: Raven Guard

+ HQ +
Captain, Power sword, Storm bolter
Kayvaan Shrike
Lieutenants, power axe, master crafted bolter

+ Troops +
Scout Squad (5)
Bolter
Heavy Botler

Scout Squad (5)
Sniper Rilfe
Missile Launcher

Tactical Squad (5)

+ Elites +
Terminator Assault Squad (5)
Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield

+ Heavy Support +
Devastator Squad (5)
4x Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Lascannon

This list isn't meant to be top tables, or even top 50% of players. Its meant to be some fun which I can hopefully throw off a few players who over estimate their skills. 

I could drop a couple of things and squeeze in my Hellblasters, although I'm relecutant to drop my Hellhound, because its a great anti horde and assault unit.

My Tactical squad is a bit eh too, but I don't have any additional scouts painted up. I thought I could possibly throw a flamer on them, SftS them on an objective and just hide in terrain out of LoS.

eh. I just have a hard time getting enthusiastic over soup lists.  My old grand-pappy used to say "If you ain't got a white bird on every man's power-armored shoulder, it aint's worth running!" that what he used to say. Seriously...he said that all the time.

Edited by 9x19 Parabellum

I love that list :) I look forward to doing something similar ish with the Warhawks and a desert theme guard list (with a Knight Errant) ... because it’s usually more fun to lose (but play well) with a challenging list than to build a razor sharp mini max list and cut through the opposition with ease.

Generally in tournaments I do like to rock the solo faction, though I dont have any problems with allies. Makes sense from a lore and tactical perspective.

Im mixing and matching due to painted model availability.

Im goal is to go at least 2-4 which is my general tournament standard these days. Any more than that and I get bored playing people trying to chase top 8 but clearly dont have the ability ... :ermm:

Ill have a bit of a play later see if I can find some camo cloaks and a flamer for the tacs. I would have liked to make them 10 man or get a drop pod in even... there's also a razorback I guess?

Revised plan:

1. Drop the plasma on the scions
  2. Make them cheap DS objective grabbers than can get a 2+ in cover thanks to IG strat's ;)
  3. Put a flamer on the tac's which can SftS and camp on an objective and also be 2+ in cover
  4. Give snipers camo cloaks so theyre also 2+ in cover and -1 to hit ;) (hopefully the tac's will be -1 to hit too)
  5. Then I have two tough 2+ units that can potentially deliver T1 charges 

Muahahah! :devil:

Sorry RB, no drop pod in that revision, SftS is too effective ;) especially at 13 CPs with my IG WL regenerating them ;) 

Eh, with the proposed changes to Deep Strike, DPs are really not worth it overall.  Yet, I really want to use them because they were (are?) a part of the Raven Guard 'vision' I fell in love with many Many MANY years ago.

Just babblin'

I do wish we had a stratagem that allowed up jump (FLY INFANTRY ... :ermm: ) redeploy mid game like the formation we had last edition

Then I would have even more reason to run bulk jump packs :) 

• 3 weeks later...
Took time out on Saturday from moving and setting / fixing up our new house to play at a local RTT

This was a practice run for the GT (Major) I have this weekend in KC

My list isn't meant to be ultra competitive, I'm aiming for 2W-4L and middling of the pack as thats normally where I have the most fun.  

The list is primarily based off what I have painted already as I didn't have the time or drive this year to paint up a specific list.

I ended up placing 9 of 12, going 1-2.

• I was tabled against some DE thanks to some crummy terrain and bad mission selection. Highlight was my 5 man tac squad dealing 3 damange to a DE boat on overwatch and then continually chip away at it every combat and shooting phase, until it flew away with 3 wounds left. 
  • I lost to some Necrons, damn buggers won't die! Highlight of that game was Shrike taking out 3 of 6 tomb blades in 1 turn of assault, only to have 2 reappear, fly off and shoot him.
  • Last match up was against the Ork player who came last and I won. It was a fun match we both laughed lots as we beat each other up in CC. He had a bucket load of killer kans and grot tanks. Definitely the most fun game of the day, would have been more fun if his dice were a bit hotter.
Learnt a few things about running my list, the missions and Necrons for this coming weekend. Will take more pics during the event! :D

Oh and I won best painted :D 

Not hard when only ~3 armies there were actually fully painted! ;)

I got a $20 voucher (was $10 entry fee) and put it towards what appears to be the OoP Redoubt for the table I need to put together now I have a house with gaming space! :D

Pics: