IA - Shepherds of Eden

bluntblade

What about Grey Knight heads?

Cos that was what Mikhal's been using. Don't ask me how, but I keep forgetting that you're modelling them. There was also an element of wanting to reflect them having their own Mk VI variant courtesy of the Technocracy.

But yeah, I've got a solid image of a Vyrn now. Eidolon body minus the jump pack and Aquila on the chest, a T-visored helmet with a slightly raised, flat top, and a shield in place of the pistol.

Who's he?

Knight Solaire of Astora! The Sunseeker! Disciple of the Sun God Gwyn! The Jolliest, most Co-operative Undead in all of Lordran!

Here, I've a picture of him:

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/825/093/d35.jpg

Wait, that's not right... Hang on a sec. Ah, here we go:

http://darksouls.wdfiles.com/local--files/npcs/solaire-of-astora.jpg

Solaire is a character in the first Dark Souls game who you can team up with to fight your way through Lordran several times, with you later gaining the ability to summon Solaire as a phantasmal ally. In the morbid, depressing world of Dark Souls, Solaire stands out as a friendly, ever-cheerful and humorous buddy amid the legions of NPCs armed with tragic sob stories and serious tones, often spouting his catchphrase of "Praise the Sun!" and asking if you'd like to engage in "Jolly Co-Operation!"

• 3 months later...

The fluff is done as far as I can tell. Rules are what are needed: Warlord, RoW, Legion Tactics, maybe a piece of wargear or a second character. They're getting a lot for being one of the largest/most infamous Insurgos.

I'm pretty late to the party here, but upon discussion with Raktra the Scions would recieve support from the Abyssii, especially after the Insurrection begins, plus when the Berserkers join the Insurrection the remaining Shepherds flee to Nox

WiP:

Hastur Sejanus

A rare example of classical good looks in an Astartes, Sejanus matched his appearance with unforced virtue, consummate strategic wit and charisma that was remarkable even for a commander of the Astartes. Under Sejanus, the Sheoherds who broke away from the VII Legion thrived, when many expected them to flounder, based on the axiom that the Astartes were simply not meant to function without their Primarchs. It can be reckoned an indication of his qualities as a soldier that Antonidas of the Scions Hospitalier treated him as an equal, and he was popular with the mortal commanders who served with him.

Sejanus adhered to a strict code of honour that belied his origins on Cthonia even during the decades spent under Raktra’s command, and it was observed by the Shepherds as carefully as the codes they had abided by as the early VII. However, some observers noted that some of the tactics he encouraged, most notably targeting an enemy commander or champion with a view to slaying him, be it in single combat or at range, had their origins in Cthonian ganger tactics as much as the chivalric cultures of ancient Terra.

Certainly, Sejanus was as fierce in combat as any son of the hollow world. Armed with a power sword and articificered bolt pistol, he proved his worth on dozens of battlefields, often leading from the front even as Captain-General of the Shepherds. At the Siege of the Iron Citadel on Aureus he spent weeks at a time on the walls without sleeping, and almost all that time either coordinating the defence or fighting against the greenskin besiegers. When the Iron Bears arrived to lift the siege, Sejanus and his warriors sallied forth beside them, returning in triumph upon their victory.

Khârn

A canny tactician and exemplary leader, Khârn’s reputation was nonetheless moulded above all else by his bladework, even more than his legendary defiance of Raktra. Sejanus once described him as the idea of the “proto-knight” given human form, a warrior who served the weak through a talent for violence. Khârn was not the finest orator nor an especially patient man, but he was an inspiring presence to the men he led, never more so than with an axe in hand.

From the time of the Shepherds’ reformation, he took up command of the Oedon Blades, the Legion's finest close-combat fighters, along with several other companies. Fighting at their head, he soon won a reputation that rivalled the champions of the numbered Legions. In one celebrated battle on Yyneum, he saved the life of Prefect Narylios of the V. The Halcyon Wardens had been outflanked and cut off by a force of Eldar warriors, and would have fallen in minutes had Khârn and his warriors. Khârn duelled the alien champion who had wounded Narylios. After a furious exchange of blows he triumphed, breaking his foe’s spear and severing his head, though his helmet was ruined in the fight.

Narylios, too badly wounded to continue with the advance, handed his own Sarum-pattern helm to the Sheoherd. The bullish, glowering visor would come to mark Khârn out among his brothers, even more than the waveblade he was later gifted by the Scions Hospitalier. A fearsome axe named Dawnbringer, it ended countless enemies of the Emperor, wielded in conjunction with a plasma pistol.

I'm alive, bitches. Sejanus is the obvious choice, otherwise we need to brainstorm a bit more. My own iterations have made them just Scions-lite, so that's a bad sign.

I'm thinking of Vyrn as being like Balon Swann, Barristan Selmy and the other truly honourable knights from ASoIaF, except with all the baggage of losing his Legion. Oedon Blades and Shadehunter elites to follow shortly.

Ok. So I've been through the thread to bring myself up to speed on the Shepherds. I have two main thoughts to begin with.

The first is a sort of design suggestion for all the Insurgos Legion Rules. I think that they should be close(ish) mirrors of their parent legion's. After all they are of the same genetic heritage.

Following on from that. I have some specific ideas for the Shepherds' rules. I think that giving them all Precision Strikes (and maybe shots too) would make for an interesting mirror to the Berserkers' ignore FNP. It could show that they use their special sight to help them pick out commanders​ to end the fight quickly. Next I think the no negative modifiers to Leadership within 3" of an objective rule that Raktra suggested would make a good mirror to the BoU immunity to fear. Finally I think that having an upgrade option that lets Veteran Squads (maybe others as well) take Jump Packs would be a useful option and help show off the abundance of the things that they have.

I've not had any specific thoughts about downsides yet, but I want to post this so I won't forget, and to get some feedback.

I guess, but I think we've been mostly trying to separate equipment or unit restrictions from the actual Legion Rules. However something like the Blood Angels vehicles restriction might be appropriate to show lack of supplies.

What do you think of the other bits though? Particularly the general suggestion for some similarity between the Insurgos and their parents.

Archived