Praetors of Calth

apologist

+ Sweep for malcode incept? +
+ Legion authorisation +

+ Sweep rejected +

Salvation is at hand. The Emperor has heard your cries of woe and pain. He is sorrowed by your oppression, and bound to change it.

He has dispatched His own angels to grant you your long-deserved freedom. Obedient to His will, they turn the worlds over. The strong will be made weak and the weak made strong in turn.

+ M31.007.XXX.X 'Citizens of Borima' address. Ch. I; Incant V–VI +

IMG_2521a.jpg

+ Legion authorisation +
+ Sweep rejected +

+++

IMG_2519.JPG

Rejoice! Bear witness to the breaking of the brazen seal. Behold Celestial Carneon, the shackled Bullock of Heaven. He has come to free you from the oppression of odium and peace.

Rejoice! Bear witness to the breaking of the flesh seal. Behold the first face of Czenatzerub, Ur-zhul the Cronemother. She has come to free you from despair. Submit your minds to be opened, and your bowels to bear the mark.

Rejoice! The cornet sounds and never ceases, and the ivory seal is broken. Behold the second face of Czenatzerub, Sleesh the Eunuchained. He has come to free you from drudgery, and lead you in dance and song 'til your body gives out.

Rejoice! Bear witness to the forging of the unsealed seal. Behold the hidden face of Czentzerub, Black-and-White Emaralel. He comes in hidden paths to sate the starving with wormwood.

IMG_2114.JPG

+ M31.007.XXX.X 'Citizens of Borima' address. Ch. I; Incant VIII–XI +

Edited by Apologist

+ Legion authorisation +
+ Sweep rejected +

+++

IMG_2113.JPG

Rejoice! The cryptic seal breaks as it is struck three times three and the Crowsnake comes! Bear witness to the great god Czenatzerub, in his aspect as the three-headed God-Emperor. He comes borne on the back of Carneon to free you from the weakness of the flesh, the servitude of life, and the banality of sanity.

+ M31.007.XXX.X 'Citizens of Borima' address. Ch. I; Incant IX IX IX + [sCRAPSHUNTERRORABORT]+

+++

Okay, okay, no more cryptic weirdness from here on in. I'll post up the full figures – mostly primed at the mo – and some notes after lunch, if I get a moment. In the mean time, as the Chapter of the Blasted Cedar descends, feel free to pick through the Address to the Citizens of Borima above for some hints.

+Theoretical+

If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.

When planning a project, I like to take some time to think about the opposing force. I find it a good way to work out limits for the army, which helps to frame the project and give it a distinct identity. For example, perhaps you really want to make a Void War-themed army, based around a boarding party... but then you back away as you make 'practical' steps to account for the games you want to play – and compromise to add a drop pod to deliver a unit, and then tanks to deal with... Well, you know where that path leads. Essentially, you panic and move away from your original cool idea and end up with something less distinctive and flavoursome and more 'cookie cutter'.

Picturing the opposing force you want to face will help you stay on target. You don't need to account for potential enemy tanks, as the enemy doesn't have any. You can have that less competitive lower-level commander you really want, because the enemy has a similar cool theme to his character. This'll help you create a distinctive army that's unique to your interpretation of the shared universe.

+Practical+

In the case of the Ultramarines of the 15th/190th, the opposing force is the Chapter of the Blasted Cedar, a sorry band of byblows from the XVIIth Legion that were borne into the Veridian system and unceremoniously belched onto Calth alongside their Army units loyal to the Warmaster. 

I made a test model – Mekholta Dmalachi, Twiceborn of the Chapter of the Blasted Cedar:

IMG_4045.JPG

Of course, one of the advantages of creating limits for yourself is that it leaves space open for other projects – keeping your interest alive. Unit types that I have created a self-imposed limit on for my Ultramarines are fair game for the Word Bearers, for example. For the moment, though, here're the few models I have already:

IMG_2519.JPG

IMG_2520.JPG

IMG_2112.JPG

IMG_2115.JPG

Some have been awaiting a lick of paint for more than a year, and it's now time to fulfil a promise I made on my blog ages ago – to create a painting tutorial for the Word Bearers.

• 2 weeks later...

The Saviour of Calth

IMG_4675.JPG

Let's move. Quickly,' says Ventanus. 'I don't think this is an accident at all.'

The moment it's out of his mouth, he regrets saying it aloud.

'Why not?' asks Selaton.

'Because I'm a pessimist,' says Ventanus.

+ Extr. Know No Fear, by Dan Abnett. +

IMG_4674.JPG

I dug this model out of mothballs, as I had a chance to get some better photographs of him, and he seems to fit very nicely in this project log, concerned as it is with Calth. Remus Ventanus is the Captain of the 'Troublesome' 4th Company, so while he's not part of my 15th/190th force, I couldn't resist making my own version of the character.

IMG_4673.JPG

IMG_4672.JPG

IMG_4671.JPG

This model is based on the cover of the Mark of Calth, a collection of short stories:
http://i1.wp.com/thefoundingfields.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Mark-of-Calth-A5-HB.jpg

Edited by Apologist

Heh; in truth, he's an old model. I haven't had time to paint anything this week – except the front room(!)

The ol' Grizzly'll have his time in the sun soon enough – it's a toss-up between him, Word Bearers, the Coürt of the Sunñe Cyng, and more Ultramarines. Or possibly Guard. 

Argh. 

Word Bearers it is – this is not a particularly exciting post, but is proof that there's some painting going on. :)

+++

+ Painting Word Bearers part I +

Word Bearers have relatively non-standard livery. The broad strokes – red, black and gunmetal – are fairly solid, but much else is fluid, varying from Chapter to Chapter and cult to cult. Black helms, gold trim, and non-standard elements like hoods or gags or chains are common. For this reason, this paint scheme is necessarily fairly loose – I encourage you to vary it.

IMG_4707.JPG

_i: Prime the model with Halford's matt grey primer. I use grey primer to get a dirtier look to the finished model. Use white if you prefer a cleaner or brighter look.

IMG_4708.JPG

_ii: Use Vallejo Scarlet to paint the red parts of the armour.

IMG_4709.JPG

_iii: Paint metal areas (shoulder trim, the boltgun, chains etc.) with Abaddon Black. Add a hint of Calthan Brown to the black to soften it and use this to undercoat areas like scrollwork, leather straps etc.

IMG_4710.JPG

_iv: Once thoroughly dry, wash the armour with Agrax Earthshade. Rinse and dry your brush, and touch it to any areas where the wash is pooling. The bristles will lift some of the excess paint and prevent unpleasant marks. Leave it to dry.