Praetors of Calth

apologist

Wow Man!!! I love the scale of that Warlord to the olde epic figs! I read that you'd picked the warlord up from a diff manufacturer but think it is a brilliant piece of kit! 

Also, you are rocking 2 types of rhinos and based the epic dudes ...nice:)!

If you like that, you might like this. I've built a board for Adeptus Titanicus, representing Ithraca City of Calth:

u.jpg

There's more info on Death of a Rubricist here, if you'd like more info on how I did it. The article also contains some practical considerations if you're building a board for the first time.

z.jpg

+++

Secondly, I received my copy of Adeptus Titanicus, and couldn't be more pleased. The models are beautifully engineered, and the rules look fantastic. Can't wait to get some games in!

So far I've put together the first Traitor (though we prefer 'loyal to the Warmaster') Titan, Coropedion of my Legio Sumer-Nikator, (Sons of the Temple).

The base was fun:

q.jpg

I then just had fun painting the Ultramarines on the base – though whether they're planning an attack, throwing their lot in with the Warmaster or simply scattering before the Titan, who can say?

o.jpg

Along with the ruins, the addition of the marines and Rhino goes a long way to giving some sense of scale to the Titan:

r.jpg

There are some more thoughts on basing on today's blog inload.

• 1 year later...

Bam – the Word Bearers invade!

as.jpg

After digging out Betrayal at Calth and having a game, I was struck with how fun it was. It seemed a shame to be using proxies for the Word Bearers when I had the Ultramarines all ready, so decided to bash together a force of Word Bearers. The first model's WIP; I'd appreciate your thoughts:

ao.jpg

ap.jpg

ar.jpg

aq.jpg

+++

No great reason – just wanted to get some paint on quickly, and defaulted to a simplified version of my Blood Angels' recipe. In retrospect, I think I'd prefer to get more of a claret/purply-red to help differentiate. Perhaps I'll try again with the new Gal Vorbak Red and Word Bearers Red paints.

I do think the Word Bearers need a darker red to differentiate them from the Blood Angels, but the miniature still reads as "Word Bearers" overall. The sinister pose helps a lot. It's tough to make a genetically enhanced Astartes look like he's slinking around in the shadows, but you did it! Looking forward to more.

No great reason – just wanted to get some paint on quickly, and defaulted to a simplified version of my Blood Angels' recipe. In retrospect, I think I'd prefer to get more of a claret/purply-red to help differentiate. Perhaps I'll try again with the new Gal Vorbak Red and Word Bearers Red paints.

Can confirm, those are perfect for Word Bearers.

That being said, the Word Bearer looks good, he's just a tad too bright :lol:

Now, to go through the rest of this thread to see the pretty pictures.....

Yeah, the consensus seems to be that the colour's too vibrant for Word Bearers. Shame, as I do like the look of it... I think I'll do the rest in a darker hue, and come back to this chap. He might end up seconded to the Blood Angels, but if I like the deeper scheme, he'll likely be repainted to match his brethren. 

Speaking of whom...

ar.jpg

at.jpg

au.jpg

These are intended to be a mix of visuals, running the gamut from virtually uncorrupted to full-on Gal Vorbak. The scale of the Primaris marines matches the Gal Vorbak figures pretty nicely.

al.jpg

Edited by Apologist

Funny thing, I've been dreaming of making a squad of Ultramarines and some Terminators to have a proper Calth set. :biggrin.:

Great work on the Word Bearers, kind of comically bright but look great on the tabletop.

Great minds think alike – or is it 'fools seldom differ?' :P

Thanks for the kind words!

The kit bashing you've done here is phenomenal!

Ta. I've not got much painting done, but here's Kurtha Sedd himself:

av.jpg

Cracking work, as per. I'm keen to see the rest of Sedd revealed.

Very kind – and I didn't mean him to be so mysterious; I just deleted the picture on my phone after cropping it. D'oh!

+++

Loyalty is the child of belief.
+ Aphorisms, Urka Madis +

g.jpg

+ Word Bearer and Imperial Fist Kill Teams struggle around the Furno Gate on Pract +

+++

+ Painting Word Bearers +

a.jpg

It's been fun to dive into the Word Bearers.  Working over a black undercoat in all cases, the marine on the left was painted with the following process:

_1 Mephiston Red.
_2 Second layer of Mephiston Red.
_3 Lining the recesses with Agrax Earthshade.
_4 Layer of Evil Sunz Scarlet.
_5 Highlights of Fire Dragon Bright.
_6 Winsor & Newton red ink glaze.

This gives a nice, vibrant result – brilliant for Blood Angels, but perhaps a bit vivid for the Word Bearers. The others were therefore painted with a more muted scheme, again over a black undercoat:

_1 Gal Vorbak Red.
_2 Second layer of Gal Vorbak Red.
_3 Lining the recesses with Leviathan Purple.
_4 Layer of Word Bearers Red
_5 Initial highlights of Word Bearers Red/Fire Dragon Bright mix.
_6 Secondary highlights of Fire Dragon Bright
_7 Winsor & Newton red ink glaze.

The result of the latter is more muted. To be honest, I don't like it quite as much as the Blood Angels scheme, but that's probably working as intended. The former bright red scheme is very warm-tinged – that is, it's based on yellow-biased reds, which means it appears warm, inviting and exciting. The latter muted red scheme is cool-tinged; based on blue-based reds. This means it is naturally less eye-catching.

This may seem a Bad Thing, but sometimes subtlety wins out. By having a more muted wine-dark scheme, it leaves space in the palette for bright vibrant reds to be used for, say, braziers and flames. These wouldn't sing out against the bright red scheme, but should be set off nicely by the deep red.

f.jpg

+ Brothers Bac Vorkar of the Third Hand and Vannis Gen of the Inscribed +

Edited by Apologist

• 2 months later...

The new guys are looking really, really nice! :tu:

Also:

...and a mere few months later, more done:

[awesome images snipped]

If I were in charge of the Great Crusade, we'd not have left Terra at this rate! :biggrin.:

so.... About as fast as Lorgar and his Choir Boys before Monarchia? :p

I've been working on a few more of my Word Bearers recently, so here we go:

Kurtha Sedd of the Third Hand

a.jpg

Kimon of the Inscribed

d.jpg

Mugla of the Blasted Cedar

f.jpg

Mekholta Dmalachi, Twiceborn of the Blasted Cedar 

i.jpg

Bac Vorkar of the Third Hand

j.jpg

Vannis Gen of the Inscribed

k.jpg

Love to hear what you think!

Solid work, as ever, I particularly like Vorkar with his heavy weapon, it gives a great sense of bulk and weight. The chipping and sigils are well done too, could we get another look at Sedd's cloak and the pattern on there?

Sure: 'Give us a twirl, Sedd!'

I wanted to keep the Dark Apostle's scheme quite brooding and dark, so I opted for a battered leather cloak: practical, brutal and with sinister undertones to anyone who's seen a WWII film.

b.jpg

To avoid it being too dull, I decided to do a pattern on the lining: I opted for a stylised fishscale effect, as a nod to the Word Bearer's Mesopotamian roots, and the idea of the sea as an underworld.

c.jpg

Thanks for the extra angles, the leather looks ace. I think it's really great that you consider all those extra little details and cultural nods in your projects, adds a lot of interest and weaves them that much further into the narrative and setting.

Thanks for the kind words. I think adding a little bit of cultural 'clutter' helps give the background depth. You might think of it as lore-greebling :D

Fifteen more Word Bearers to go; any thoughts on choice of weaponry? I'm torn on whether to just get on with building 'em, or to cast the net out for some of the new Chaos marine helmets, backpacks and shoulder pads to add a little 'halfway-there' aesthetic.