Deathwatch plog [update 1750 pts army]- Vash -

Vash

Those combi-shotguns are rad! They look super smooth and help to overcome all those "background intensive" arguments against the bolter/shotgun combo. Now I just need to buy like 4 more Deathwatch Veterans boxes . . . tongue.png

Okey, I have been working on and off now a few days. So painting has been put on hold. 

Have one day now in between work, and after some family time I had some time to finish the Stalker unit. 

One more unit of Deathwatch, then they are completed. Then its the Militarum Tempestus formation and pods. Not far from completion now. 

Hopefully by the end of this month I can have my first game with them all painted. 

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/VashDime/40k/Deathwatch/Stalker5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/VashDime/40k/Deathwatch/Stalker%20unit.jpg

Thanks mate. 

Screen is really simple (more detail once the army is done with some xenos indications "blips"). 

Silver as a base coat and then... GWs technical paint Waystone Green. :) 

I must say that GWs technical paints have saved me a lot of time. They are really good, and I recommend them to all who wants some additional details fast and easy. 

Made an alternative Watch Captain for my deathwatch.

He will stand in when Artemis is tired. 

Hailing from the Crimson fists, survivor of many Ork WHAAAGH's! he brings much needed experience when fighting the green skins. He has devoted him self to the watch permanently, as his former company has been all but wiped out to the green skins. 

Armed with a grav pistol, to support his fellow brothers as they charge into larger xenos, and wielding the Thiefs of Secrets (name pending). 

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/VashDime/40k/Deathwatch/captain.jpg

I love that Watch Captain.  Will he actually get a Xenos blade in combat?

The grav-pistol is a very interesting choice too.

Well in my world it isn't the same one as in the rule book. Until I find a better blade, this will do for now. 

The grav pistol is a strange choice, but I figured with his high BS, its pretty much a solid hit (with MT). The unit he joins have heavy thunder hammers, so they will strike at the same time as a monstrous creature if they charge into one. 

Looking at the model now, I think the blade is a bit to big for my taste. So I'll go through my bits and see if I can find something more suitable as a "The Thief of Secrets". 

Now I need a name for the Captain and the sword, and perhaps a backstory :)

Thanks mate.

Screen is really simple (more detail once the army is done with some xenos indications "blips").

Silver as a base coat and then... GWs technical paint Waystone Green. smile.png

I must say that GWs technical paints have saved me a lot of time. They are really good, and I recommend them to all who wants some additional details fast and easy.

I'm sold! biggrin.png

Nagging with updates. Pretty much the same as last. 

Two more done, six to go. I can see the end of the tunnel... After these six its only the Tempestus formation and pods :D

And I done with the first draft of the army. 

But... silly me. Already bought models for the second army list. So Landraider Redeemer, and around ten more deathwatch infantry models to be painted...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/VashDime/40k/Deathwatch/Aquila2.jpg

You're a machine Vash. Amazing. I seem to work on my stuff as much as I can. Pretty much nightly, but not near the production you have. Excellent stuff.

Ha ha :D Heard that before. But I have been speed painting for over 10 years. So a few techniques has finally stuck. 

I clocked my self painting two Deathwatch minis. It took one and a half hour to complete the two with basing and all. But... thats with no distraction and just painting all the time. No time wasted on anything else. 

As soon as I have worked out a work pattern for the minis I am painting, it usually ends up with 30-45 minutes for one model if I paint them in batches or pairs. 

With my current work schedule, I also have more free time, working (or rather active, I could get a standby on these active days) five days, and free four days. 

I am aiming to complete the unit today, before I head out tomorrow for work. Because then it will be a break from painting. 

And I have game planned on monday, yay my first with deathwatch. So I am really hoping I can get my infantry up and running before then. 

Holy !#€(€)%... just saw on the picture I have not cleaned up the frag cannon barrel! 

I'll get that done before the unit picture :D

Wow! I just went back through the whole log and I must say I'm impressed by your painting speed to quality ratio! Good job!

I especially like the way all the minis contrast with the bases. Enough to motivate me to buy a box of those actually! Did you painted the Tyranid/genestealer cult symbol on the Auspex wielding sergeant's base? Cause it looks good.

I should spend more time on my models and less on the forums if I ever want a full Kill Team to accompany my Raptors...

1.5 hours? That's ridiculous. I truly feel slow now and to be 100% honest I had felt I had become much better at moving past details no one sees to get more speed out of my stuff.

What's wrong with the frag cannon barrel?

Yah I am ridiculous ;)

But as I said, been speed painting for some time. And I am reallyyyy lazy. I can't stand painting a model longer than 2 hours. I just give up. So naturally I had to find techniques and procedures to up the speed. 

It isn't really fun to mass produce... I'll say that. But it gets the job done, and I can field a fully painted army fairly fast. 

Whats wrong with the barrel... well the tip/nozzel should be like the previous two guys. Compare the picture and you will see. The tip should be black. Not black undercoat with sloppy metal paint on top :)

Wow! I just went back through the whole log and I must say I'm impressed by your painting speed to quality ratio! Good job!

I especially like the way all the minis contrast with the bases. Enough to motivate me to buy a box of those actually! Did you painted the Tyranid/genestealer cult symbol on the Auspex wielding sergeant's base? Cause it looks good.

I should spend more time on my models and less on the forums if I ever want a full Kill Team to accompany my Raptors...

Thanks mate. 

The bases from GW were in the beginning really boring and didn't offer much of eye catching detail. But after getting inspiration from this forum, and adding some "extras" to the bases, they quickly grew on me. 

Adding "hazard stripes" was the first step of making the bases more appealing (on the ones you can do that of course). Then GWs technical paints, blood paint and the nurgles rot added a lot of theme to the base too. 

Third thing I found was another technical paint, ryza rust. Dabbing this on selected metal areas gave a feel of old collapsed building. 

Thanks for noticing the Genestealer cult symbol. This is the forth step in the base modification. Adding graffiti on the concrete from xenon scum. First one so far, and will be adding more. Any suggestions of other graffiti I could add?

As soon as I have worked out a work pattern for the minis I am painting, it usually ends up with 30-45 minutes for one model

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/1c/1cf9c76ca50b0393509fb33ca0aafaab875d4ae6df32836d42eef80fda68eda9.jpg

As soon as I have worked out a work pattern for the minis I am painting, it usually ends up with 30-45 minutes for one model

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/1c/1cf9c76ca50b0393509fb33ca0aafaab875d4ae6df32836d42eef80fda68eda9.jpg

hahahaha... oh my gosh...

The honour of being referred as Vader!

Happy to say that two more are done. But pictures have to wait. Now kids needs to be picked up from school/kindergarden, and some time with them (unless they run over to the neighbour). 

Thanks mate. 

The bases from GW were in the beginning really boring and didn't offer much of eye catching detail. But after getting inspiration from this forum, and adding some "extras" to the bases, they quickly grew on me. 

Adding "hazard stripes" was the first step of making the bases more appealing (on the ones you can do that of course). Then GWs technical paints, blood paint and the nurgles rot added a lot of theme to the base too. 

Third thing I found was another technical paint, ryza rust. Dabbing this on selected metal areas gave a feel of old collapsed building. 

Thanks for noticing the Genestealer cult symbol. This is the forth step in the base modification. Adding graffiti on the concrete from xenon scum. First one so far, and will be adding more. Any suggestions of other graffiti I could add?

I agree, the hazard stripes helps a lot to add some "life" to these bases.

As for graffiti, you could add some ork glyphs or necron symbols if you want to expand the xenos races present in the area! Maybe an Alpha Legion tag too (either a green hydra or an "Anarchy" symbol made to look like the chained A of the XXth Legion).

Archived