Deathwatch plog [update 1750 pts army]- Vash -

Vash

Thanks mate. 

The bases from GW were in the beginning really boring and didn't offer much of eye catching detail. But after getting inspiration from this forum, and adding some "extras" to the bases, they quickly grew on me. 

Adding "hazard stripes" was the first step of making the bases more appealing (on the ones you can do that of course). Then GWs technical paints, blood paint and the nurgles rot added a lot of theme to the base too. 

Third thing I found was another technical paint, ryza rust. Dabbing this on selected metal areas gave a feel of old collapsed building. 

Thanks for noticing the Genestealer cult symbol. This is the forth step in the base modification. Adding graffiti on the concrete from xenon scum. First one so far, and will be adding more. Any suggestions of other graffiti I could add?

I agree, the hazard stripes helps a lot to add some "life" to these bases.

As for graffiti, you could add some ork glyphs or necron symbols if you want to expand the xenos races present in the area! Maybe an Alpha Legion tag too (either a green hydra or an "Anarchy" symbol made to look like the chained A of the XXth Legion).

I'll do some research on the Orks, Necrons and the chained A thingy :) Thanks for the suggestions. 

Two more. Jumping into the next two after making dinner for the kids and putting them to bed. 

But these will do for now. 

Added a new graffiti on one of the bases. Another Genestealer cult symbol. Found a couple of them that I will implement on future bases. 

*Now when I am looking at the minis on the screen, I see that the high lights are a bit off... to bright. Overexposed... picture taken during the evening, so the natural light is bad*

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/VashDime/40k/Deathwatch/Aquila3.jpg

Will use these combi-plasmas with care biggrin.png Would be a shame to lose a veteran to it. Then again, we have Mission Tactics as back up for that.

I specifically set aside the Tome of Ectoclades just for this purpose. Typically, the plasma-Vets will be aiming for something that fulfills a rather specific role, after all . . .

Will use these combi-plasmas with care biggrin.png Would be a shame to lose a veteran to it. Then again, we have Mission Tactics as back up for that.

I specifically set aside the Tome of Ectoclades just for this purpose. Typically, the plasma-Vets will be aiming for something that fulfills a rather specific role, after all . . .

Thanks! Was about to discard them in the second list, but you just saved their behinds.

Pffff.... Target failed. Wanted to finish the whole unit today. But I over estimated my own abilities. Had some extra stuff to do around the house I had totally neglected  (by choice I guess). 

2 Models left who are primed. Librarian and a normal veteran are almost done. Just need some final high lights and base to go. 

Well I am off for a couple of days. So I won't be torturing the forum with updates for some time. 

• 1 month later...

So I have been off very long. Working and putting some priority on the house renovations. And I am sad to say that this will continue for a while. But in between I hope to be able to get some miniatures done. All I have left on my first draft is three drop pods. And they are only missing the metallic details, and then all is done!

But, of course, many new lists have bubbled up over time and after my first game. So there are now a lot of additional optional models to be painted. 

Made a unit of bikers, which will be included in one of the CAD lists I have made. It consists of a small CAD and a Watch Company. 

All bikers are based on the model from the Overkill Box, as I wanted the Inquisitorial sign on the front. Had a lot of extra deathwatch torsos laying around, so I put them to good use. 

Also, the chapter upgrade sprues I have came to good use too. Adding some minor details to separate the bikers some more. 

In the unit:

- Ultra Marine with power axe

- Dark Angel with power sword

- White Scar with power sword

- Space Wolf 

- Blood Angel

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/VashDime/40k/Deathwatch/bikers%20WIP.jpg

Wow, very awesome! I think GW missed an opportunity by not making a DW front shield for the Biker kit; that piece alone adds a ton to the look of the minis, though your bitswaps take it up another notch. Psyched to see them painted! happy.png

Loving the bikers Vash!! wub.png you know i loves me some bikers(yours are way more blinged than mine cry.gif *sniff*)

is that a "Cup of Concussion" i see there tongue.png ...

Blood Angel biker- " Sip Sip* oh! a lovely drop of red to drink brother whilst we vanquish these uncouth peasants...oh my,look a peasant!...begone with you...BONK! .... now back to Drinking i say...what about you wolf brother?...

Wolf Brother biker- "Nay!, it is neither Mead nor in a Horn so i decline your offer of Beverage on the Grounds it be too dainty....

Blood Angel Biker- "Very well brother,your loss!,more for the son of Sanguinius and by Dante's Golden shorts this dust here gives me a Devil of a thirst...a red thirst if you will ha ha ha ha...*Gulp Gulp...ahhhh! biggrin.png"

anyways, great work...can i ask how many minutes till the squads finished?...

Cheers Mithril

• 1 month later...

Small resurrection here. 
Been renovating the house and working a lot the past months. So eating has been put on somewhat a hold. Only had some few painting sessions here and there. 
My first goal is complete, a fully painted 2000 pts army allied with Tempestus. Though... not 100%... still 2 drop pods to go on that list. 

But since I have started playing with the army more frequently when I have time, I have of course altered my list and gone for a more pure, or rather 100% pure Deathwatch list. 

So new models had to be bought, assembled and painted. Happy to say that 15 or more members has entered my watch, 2 rhinos and some reequipped terminators. 

Almost done paining them all, and what left on the table is... well still the 2 bloody drop pods, one terminator. Need to finish the bases on the the additions too, but otherwise I am almost ready for a fully painted deathwatch force this coming January and the tournament that I will enter. 

Pictures will come soon enough. Gotta work tomorrow, but after that its four days off and one standby day. Painting, preparing x-mas and new year... in that order (throwing in some Final fantasy XV in between). So I should be done by this week. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well then. 

Upcoming tournament in early January. Points 1750, and the army restrictions are a bit strange. 

Must use one Combined Arms Detachment (CAD), and may have one optional Formation. No Decurion, no fortifications, and Lord of War limited to maximum 400 pts. CAD and formation must be of the same Faction. 

I decided to use the Watch Company as my optional Formation. And of course, a Deathwatch CAD, as the restrictions says I need to stay within my faction. 

CAD part

Librarian with Beacon of Angelis

5 Veterans in a Rhino

with 2 frag cannons, 2 meltaguns

5 Veterans in a Rhino

with 2 frag cannons, 2 grav guns

Drop pod

(This one is to give me the option to let one Veteran unit ride in it if I need it. It can be one of the Rhino units, or even the stalker units)

(The intention was from the start to have the Rhino as a separate entry, but using the Rhino as a dedicated transport grants me another Objective secure unit)

WATCH COMPANY

1 Captain

with lightning claw and thunder hammer

(joins thunder hammer unit)

7 Veterans, 1 terminator, 1 drop pod

with 2 frag cannons, heavy thunder hammer, storm shield

7 Veterans, 1 terminator, 1 drop pod (librarian joins here)

with 2 frag cannons, 1 meltagun, terminator with heavy flamer and meltagun

5 veterans, 1 terminator

Stalker pattern boltgun, cyclone missile launcher

5 veterans, 1 terminator

Stalker pattern boltgun, cyclone missile launcher

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/VashDime/40k/Deathwatch/unit2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/VashDime/40k/Deathwatch/Unit1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/VashDime/40k/Deathwatch/Unit5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/VashDime/40k/Deathwatch/Unit6.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/VashDime/40k/Deathwatch/Unit4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/VashDime/40k/Deathwatch/Unit3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/VashDime/40k/Deathwatch/Unit7.jpg

There are more models finished and ready for battle. 5 bolter veterans, 1 black shield, 2 Vanguards, 5 Bikers, 2 librarians, 1 plasmagun, and Artemis. And of course, to be painted is a bunch more Deathwatch members. Around 15 veterans (or characters), 1 Landraider (presumably Redeemer). 

Holy! I really like that librarian's pose! Is he a converted model? And the rest of the army is looking great! Good luck in the upcoming tournament!

Thanks mate. 

That Librarian is from the Dark Vengeance box game. I only changed his left arm to a Deathwatch arm. 

Got bored and made some objectives (10 in total) and my Landradier Redeemer that has been under my table since the Deathwatch release.

Not the best picture of it, and not the best paint job :D Just wanted it finished, so it was done during the evening. 

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/VashDime/40k/Deathwatch/Landraider%20redeemer.jpg

Archived