Gauging interest: Ultramarines subforum mini-event

Dosjetka

Hello all,

Just a quick post to see if there's any interest in participating in a Ultramarines (and successors) -centric event in the near future. I was thinking some sort of painting event to continue from where the ETL has left us but if you have any other suggestions, feel free to share!

Also, are there people who would be interested in helping run the event? I have limited time and have already got the Imperial Fists Expansion to look after, so some extra helpers who could actually be around and look after the event once it's launched would be great.

Anyway, thanks for having a look and don't hesitate to pipe up if this sounds like your kind of thing. thumbsup.gif

Cheers,

Dos

I've got afew Ultra models that need painting (I'll alot in the near future hopefully*). I'm currently restarting my Ultras from the ground up to be compatible with both 40k and 30k. so yeah I'd be interested.

*money. why does everything cost money tongue.png

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm definitely interested. I'm just a bit tied up until after this Saturday. tongue.png

It'd be interesting if the Ultramarines could find someone to par up against, ala the Imperial Fists vs. Iron Warriors match-up that's already going on.

Three people interested: cool. :)

To be honest, the rivalry thing only really works if you have a strong community set up and/or have a regular thing going. No offence but with the amount of activity there is around these parts... you've got no chance in a challenge against Word Bearers. That said, there are ways to balance things so if that's what you folks want, I'm pretty sure we can find a way to make it happen. Though I will admit that I think starting with a small subforum-centric event would be best to build the bonds between Ultramarine (and successors) players before taking on the Word Bearer community later on down the line.

What do you think?

I would also be interested. 

May be we could try to recreate a famous Ultramarine battleforce or a company (I mean there only 10 squads to paint and we could vow different squads to recreate the company). 

Something like that?

Three people interested: cool. smile.png

To be honest, the rivalry thing only really works if you have a strong community set up and/or have a regular thing going. No offence but with the amount of activity there is around these parts... you've got no chance in a challenge against Word Bearers. That said, there are ways to balance things so if that's what you folks want, I'm pretty sure we can find a way to make it happen. Though I will admit that I think starting with a small subforum-centric event would be best to build the bonds between Ultramarine (and successors) players before taking on the Word Bearer community later on down the line.

What do you think?

Completely agree. The Ultramarine community is too small and fragmented to be going around challenging others at the moment. We'd be better off having an event or two to get people working together and painting first.

Either way, I'm in.

On my phone, so can't do any long replies.

But cool, seven interested people. Ten would be a good starting point but the thread hasn't been up long so there's still time for people to pipe up. :)

derLumpi: not a bad idea but a bit restrictive. It would be best, in my opinion, to leave options open and let people choose what they'd like to paint. More themed events can then be organised once you have the first one succesfully over and done with. :)

How about something like this?

gallery_45765_5904_77.png ULTRAMARINE PAINTING EVENT (needs better name, of course)
  1. You may enter any models that represent the proud Sons of Guilliman. No other models/Chapters will be allowed (if unsure, this list gives you a good indication; please note that DIY Chapters are accepted);
  2. The event runs from [start date], until [end date and time]. Any models submitted after this deadline will not be counted;
  3. You may make up to [number] vows over the course of the event. You must complete your first vow to be able to make a second one, complete your second before vowing a third, etc;
  4. Each vow must be made up of at least one unit from the latest Codex: Space Marines and Imperial Armour Vol 2 - War Machines of the Adeptus Astartes. No exceptions.
  5. After each vow is made, you must supply a "starting picture" (the state your models are in before you start building/painting them), at least one "work in progress" (WIP) update, and a final "completed" picture. If you wish to post more WIP updates, you are free to do so. Also, if you wish to post your progress in your own thread in the Forge or here in the subforum, you're also free to do so, providing that you provide a valid link to your thread!
  6. For those of you who like to write some fluff for your units, you are very much encouraged to do so.
  7. If you have any questions, please do no hesitate to post them in this thread, or to PM [member(s)] directly.

It really doesn't need to be any more complex than that. It gives people the flexibility they require and encourages people to join in, even if it's just with a single character. There are quite a few things that we could include but I think keeping it simple is key for a first event.

I can whizz up a big main banner and a signature banner, unless someone prefers to look after that. Just let me know and I'll get to work on it.

Lastly, please let me know what you think of the above. It can be tweaked as much or as little as you folks. I'm just providing you with some basic rules for you to roll with but if you want to add a particular theme, some end goals other than painting your models, etc you can! thumbsup.gif

Something to that effect would probably work; rolling in the 50pts vow, as you've set it up in the Imperial Fists thread would be a nifty idea as well; it would allow people to get a foot in the door and experiment a little before they pledge a full vow. I rather like the... 10% rule? The one for having some sort of detail on the base; of course, there's the issue of not having the same relationship as the IF and IW, but I'm sure we can come up with an alternative. tongue.png

If need be, I can handle the main banner and signatures; it shouldn't be too much of a challenge.

It all depends on the focus of the event. In the case of the IFE, we want people to contribute points to the team via painted models whereas the feeling I get from you people is that you just want to get stuff painted. With that in mind, I don't think there's much point in doing a 50-point vow for this event since it doesn't really bring anything to the table that isn't already covered via characters, etc. Also, painting up a 5-man Tactical Squad is a decent start for someone who just wants to dip their toes and doesn't want to paint a character.

Of course, if you do want to allow people to just paint a single model, you could remove the "can only vow units" part and have people vow the models they want to paint while still keeping the "finish your vow before you start another" rule.

The base detail bonus could be a slightly different banner or a small add-on banner instead of bonus points (again, because the points are kinda meaningless).

And cool, I look forward to seeing what you come up with. :)

Dropping the unit section in favour of a model-by-model basis would be preferable, although it's largely down to how many people would be interested in that sort of thing; with that in mind, it would certainly allow for people to vow more unique looking models. Setting the mini-event against a backdrop of some description would allow people to theme vows further, for additional points if they opt to to do; that could supplant the base details?

Reaching out to the 30k community is a must, of course. :p

Reaching out to the 30k community can be a double-edged sword. You have more participants (yay!) but you also have more work to do, must have a tighter set of rules, need either one person 100% on top things or a few people sharing the load, etc. Also, this area is, to my understanding more of a 40k Ultramarines section.

That said, I am very much for keeping this open to whoever is interested and having both 30k and 40k covered. Just keep in mind that it'll be more difficult to manage, though I'm sure that we can make it work. :)

To take the model-by-model system further, perhaps there could be some kind of ranking where if you paint x models you get rank y, etc. The rank could be included into the signature banner for the end of the event and people can wear it with pride once they have completed their painting. Or we could use some other system, if there are other suggestions!

Oh, and I think that we all agree that keeping the vow system is essential, right? :)

Vows must stay, imo. It's what keeps peeps accountable.

Ranks sound like fun, it's what we did the SW's subforum. If you completed 1 vow you gained Blood Claw, 2nd was Grey Hunter...etc

Something similar could be devised pretty easily and would grant a neat little badge of honour to wear after completion.

30k could be more easily incorporated in a larger competition, personally I think we should just stick to 40k legal units atm.

Agreed; keeping the vow system is a must.

With that in mind, and with the ranks/pins for completing a vow idea seeming to be in favour, how many vows should there be? Five, six, seven, thirteen? And how would you differentiate them? Do you go by rank, chapter, world, character? Rank would be preferential, and with that in mind, you could go for best-in-category pins for exceptional completions (open to a poll amongst the members at the end, perhaps?); Grand Duke, Suzerain and all that jazz, in keeping with the titles some Ultramarines are conferred.

I still like the idea of keeping the individual fifty points marine vow.

Archived