Trilogy 4 (alpha) - Escalation

Sigismund229

Section on the traitor build up to the Blood Crusade. First draft done.

The Dark Armies Muster(working title)

The brother upon whom Icarion chose to test Travier's promises of divine aid was Raktra Akarro. Of all Icarion's subordinates, Raktra was the most bloodthirsty and it had been him who Icarion had given the task of bloodying the Crimson Lions on the Day of Revelation. However, Raktra had failed to eliminate them or their primarch, Hectarion Mycenor, and as such he and his legion viewed the Crimson Lions as unfinished business and relished the prospect of destroying them and their fiefdom. Because of this, they would constitute a large part of the force sent to destroy the Crimson Lions by Icarion, deploying in full strength and with their entire complement of auxiliary troops in tow.

However, Raktra and the Berserkers of Uran would not fight alone. He was to be accompanied by Alexos Travier and 100,000 of Alexos' Eagle Warriors who would serve a twin purpose of aiding the Berserkers in destroying the Crimson Lions and guiding Raktra down the path Icarion needed him to take in order to test the gods promises of power. Like the Berserkers, the Eagle Warriors were eager to unleash themselves upon the Crimson Lions and the Dominion. However, where the Berserkers of Uran were fuelled by hate, the Eagle Warriors were fuelled by faith. Where the Berserkers of Uran saw the campaign of annihilation as completing unfinished business, the Eagle Warriors saw it as one great sacrifice to their gods. Prior to the campaign, many Eagle Warriors chose to acid etch verses from their primarch's sermons onto their armour or upon long rolls of parchment which they then attached to their armour.

However, despite their faith the military force brought to bear by the Eagle Warriors was no less than that mustered by the Berserkers of Uran. In addition to dozens of millions of fanatical cult soldiers, the Eagle Warriors brought the traitor tech-priests and corrupted battle automata of the Cognis Heretica, eager to take the technology that was jealously horded by the Mechanicum of the Blood Stars.

The Stormborn also commanded that two titan legions join this vast armada(the Legio Gemina and Legio Vanquor) and a strike cruiser of Lightning Bearers whose duty was to see that Icarion's will was done by his subordinates. With these additions to the army that Icarion had mustered for his offensive against the Crimson Lions and the Dominion of Mycenae, the army that he intended to unleash was nothing less than the largest armada seen by the Imperium since the Qarith triumph.

A question has just occured to me. Should I add in a summary of the Great Crusade into the general history section?

Which is why I suggested that the Crimson Lions recover Hec(at great cost) and retreat from Prosan but then Raktra and Travier need to fall back as their legions were defeated on Cadia and the entire pissed off might of the Crimson Lions is coming to get them.

Either way. blunt could you start writing this version of Cadia?

Recover him from what? While he is dragged to raktra as food for the new prince? Of course the lions who accompagnied hec to prosan could fall into their battle frenzy when they see hec goes down.

We could even make it open to interpretation of the readers.

The lion struggled to stay on his feet. Exhausted he blocked the endless thrusts of trsviers spear. Lightning spread where shield met spear, metal hit metal. Then suddenly trsvier feinted a blow and then stepped to the side and taking momentum and lept through the air hacking with all his might upon hectarions shield. The shield broke and hectarions armor was struck by the mighty blow of travier. When his sons saw their father go down, something inside of them awakened. A beast which they held back since there creation. And here on the surface of prosan, when all seems lost to them, they accepted their fate. Hundreds of roars simultaneously arised in a deafening crescendo.

Tribelord Garian searched through the slaughterhouse that was before him.. They had won the battle of cadia, drove the traitors from its surfaced and hastened to aid their primarch. But it seems as heck if they were to late. Beforehim lay hundrdds of his brothers. And no sign of their primarch. As he wandered the destruction he saw berserkers of uran an eagle warriors. Their neck broken, their throats ripped away. Amd then he saw a pile of his brothers their bodies twisted. Helmets removed and their fingers even in dead cramped like claws. And in their midst was the body of their father. Blablanla.

Just an excuse to write something. But soemthing like that ciuld be possible as well. Some kind of signus prime

That was actually an early idea I had. Instead of the shard being removed from Hec, Alexos manages to bring out the Curse in many of the Lions present. Which would mean that Raktra and Travier would be too busy fighting off a horde of crazy guys who think they're fighting their way to valhalla than trying to kill Hec, meaning that the Crimson Lions who retained control of their sanity could get take the badly wounded Hec back to their flagship in orbit

Ahhkay. I meant it that the curse came over them after they see their father falling amd nobody on prosan (chaos power is high) is alive. And those who reclaim hec werent there. So the thing how they drove the traitors back is vague enough for legends t spread

Not everything^^

For example the scene where Gwal rescues his brother and carries him into the sunset. And Raktra dancing to abba in that fancy dress, which he bought when he was.on nerith. He does that in order to gain daemonhood.

But no describing some things and drop hints. The outcome is clear.

Edited by MikhalLeNoir

Waiting on Redd to reply to me, and we might just wrap up the Iron Bears today. We'll see.

While I wait, some notes.

• Typically refer to Icarion as the Stormlord, not Stormborn. He's been the Stormlord long enough that the title is now a permanent part of his identity. If anything, Stormborn might be becoming a faded memory by this point.
  • Likewise, refer to the Lightning Bearers as Harbingers.
  • 'Edict of Emancipation', I like it.
  • Among the xeno allies, mention the Eldar. 
  • I love how you captured that the stalemate is ultimately threatening to break Icarion's fragile coalition from within. Excellent job!
  • Off-hand, I don't think you need to recount the Great Crusade. I'd double check the start of Massacre for verification. 
  • It occurs to me that to enhance the Blood Crusade's chances, Icarion needs to launch diversionary assaults to keep Alex and the other Primarchs occupied while the Blood Crusade is going on. No crunch needed to represent this, just some fluff and red boxes will do.
Edited by simison

And the lions domain should be open for intrusion. So the main forces are bound somewhere else. Even with 2 legions it would be suicide to attack the dominion with the majority of the lions there. You needed at least a ratio of 3:1 to win a siege in medieval warfare and although the ratio might differ in 30k you still need a bigger power to beat guus who sit in their fortresses.

And the lions domain should be open for intrusion. So the main forces are bound somewhere else. Even with 2 legions it would be suicide to attack the dominion with the majority of the lions there. You needed at least a ratio of 3:1 to win a siege in medieval warfare and although the ratio might differ in 30k you still need a bigger power to beat guus who sit in their fortresses.

The Lions will be there full strength as I imagine Alex trusting them to hold the Imperium's northern flank as that's their home ground. However, they'll be scattered across the entire Dominion rather than concentrated in one place whereas the traitors will(at the beginning at least) be able to choose where to hit and then hit that full force. So they'll still have a 3:1 advantage at first.

@sim: Right. I'll go over and edit the opening section once I've finished the section I'm working on now.

After a brief bout of burnout this morning I'm back. Another section

The March to War

As Raktra Akarro and Alexos Travier were mustering their legions and those other forces given to them to prosecute the Blood Crusade, Icarion began to put into action the other aspects of his grand offensive. While the forces that Icarion had assembled to attack the Dominion were immense, their invasion of the Dominion would come to nothing if the other Imperial forces were left free to redeploy to the Dominion and aid the Crimson Lions against the Berserkers of Uran and Eagle Warriors. So Icarion had planned a series of sub offensive to keep Imperial forces tied down and unable to redeploy. While he withdrew his own Harbingers from the field in order to conserve their strength to form the vanguatd his assault on Terra, they were replaced by Koschei Kharkovic and his Godslayers. They were to press the assault on the Sol system, keeping up the pressure on the Halycon Wardens. Meanwhile, the Grave Stalkers were to launch raids and assaults on the worlds of the Three Fires system, their ultimate aim being to draw the remaining Iron Bears into a pitched battle and annihilate them once and for all. The Warbringers, now free from the meatgrinder of the battle of the Forge, were to launch an offensive on the last narrow strip of space connecting the Eastern Fringe and western Imperium as those Stygian Jackals not committed to raiding Imperial shipping assulted the remaining Imperial worlds on the Eastern Fringe. The Warriors of Peace were to hound the Dune Serpents and the Drowned were to launch simultanious assaults against the Fire Keepers and the Scions Hospitalier and the Predators would engage the Void Eagles.

As each of his subordinates and their legions launched their designated assaults, the Stormlord finalized the plans for the Berserkers and Eagle Warriors assault on the Dominion. They would punch through the outer lines of the Imperial defences like a mailed fist, the concentrated number of legionaries overwhelming the Dominion's outer defences. The main body of both legions could then drive like the tip of a spear into the Dominion's vitals, the Mycenae and Kanossia systems, as splinter fleets butchered their way across the Dominion and diverted IIIrd legion resources. The Crimson Lions would be drawn to battle at the Gidion rift where they would be bloodied before finally being destroyed in their defences of the Dominion's core systems. The remaining worlds would then fold before his legions, giving his empire a victory to hold it together and opening up another flank against Terra and if Travier's promises were correct then the Stormlord's legions would be more powerful than ever.

Okay. But why? Trusting them with rhe northern flank is good, but wasn't Icarions goal to attsck terra? So they concentraded to to find a way to terra and up until the blood crusade all actions were made to achieve this goal. So if the lions are in their dominion. Spread thin because they protect it on all boarders amd defend multiple worlds from the agressor, then they must have been absent from the battlefield before. Having a threat in your back is a problem but you could take the risk if you win the big prize. So before the blood crusade, the dominiom was to far off and just not interesting for the stormborn. And still the lions, The warrior legion sits around in the dominion? Instead of fighting on every battlefield possible? To show the traitors the.might of crimson? And even if they foresaw the action, it takes time to leave the front and return home, leaving the defenses on the border weakened.

Sorry that is a bit awkward. Lions in full strength at home means no lions at places with more importance for defense of terra. Just consider this: the lions serve no purpose at the end in the war if they stay in their own empire, even when the eagle militia are holding them there. Only purpose: give birth to a daemon prince. Yeah!!! Now stay home again. Nayyyyy:(

After a brief bout of burnout this morning I'm back. Another section

The March to War

As Raktra Akarro and Alexos Travier were mustering their legions and those other forces given to them to prosecute the Blood Crusade, Icarion began to put into action the other aspects of his grand offensive. While the forces that Icarion had assembled to attack the Dominion were immense, their invasion of the Dominion would come to nothing if the other Imperial forces were left free to redeploy to the Dominion and aid the Crimson Lions against the Berserkers of Uran and Eagle Warriors. So Icarion had planned a series of sub offensive to keep Imperial forces tied down and unable to redeploy. While he withdrew his own Harbingers from the field in order to conserve their strength to form the vanguatd his assault on Terra, they were replaced by Koschei Kharkovic and his Godslayers. They were to press the assault on the Sol system, keeping up the pressure on the Halycon Wardens. Meanwhile, the Grave Stalkers were to launch raids and assaults on the worlds of the Three Fires system, their ultimate aim being to draw the remaining Iron Bears into a pitched battle and annihilate them once and for all. The Warbringers, now free from the meatgrinder of the battle of the Forge, were to launch an offensive on the last narrow strip of space connecting the Eastern Fringe and western Imperium as those Stygian Jackals not committed to raiding Imperial shipping assulted the remaining Imperial worlds on the Eastern Fringe. The Warriors of Peace were to hound the Dune Serpents and the Drowned were to launch simultanious assaults against the Fire Keepers and the Scions Hospitalier and the Predators would engage the Void Eagles.

As each of his subordinates and their legions launched their designated assaults, the Stormlord finalized the plans for the Berserkers and Eagle Warriors assault on the Dominion. They would punch through the outer lines of the Imperial defences like a mailed fist, the concentrated number of legionaries overwhelming the Dominion's outer defences. The main body of both legions could then drive like the tip of a spear into the Dominion's vitals, the Mycenae and Kanossia systems, as splinter fleets butchered their way across the Dominion and diverted IIIrd legion resources. The Crimson Lions would be drawn to battle at the Gidion rift where they would be bloodied before finally being destroyed in their defences of the Dominion's core systems. The remaining worlds would then fold before his legions, giving his empire a victory to hold it together and opening up another flank against Terra and if Travier's promises were correct then the Stormlord's legions would be more powerful than ever.

wasnt it established befor ethat the eagle warriors only used 25~30k warriors in this plus millions of slaves and militia? I dont really see that as mustering a legion....

Which is why I suggested that the Crimson Lions recover Hec(at great cost) and retreat from Prosan but then Raktra and Travier need to fall back as their legions were defeated on Cadia and the entire pissed off might of the Crimson Lions is coming to get them.

Either way. blunt could you start writing this version of Cadia?

I'm out on the surf this morning, but I'll make a start after lunch

Prior to the stalemate, the Lions will have had the majority of their strength guarding Terra. However, following the stalemate the loyalists redeploy to better cover the whole front and not offer any weak spots so as to maintain the stalemate. So the Lions will have been redeployed by Alex to their home turf while their will be a greater number of legionaries around Terra. But when the traitors go all out for Terra the Lions will be going to Terra cos that's where the fighting is.

@Kelborn. I thought that took place when the Predators first betrayed the Emperor?

Edited by Sigismund229

The exact time of their betrayal has yet to be decide. Can prior to the Blood Crusade or afterwards.

For the time being, leave it like it is. If there is the need to change something, we got enough time to edit.

Sorry for double post. It is very difficult to edit a post via Phone.

I wasn't part in this discussion about hec and his shard but may I throw my two cents in?

Think that it would be more epic if the Lions are not at full strength while participating.

Why?

I'm comparing this to Ultramar, ok? The whole UM legion was present because of the warmasters decree. The lions not.

The um had to face two Legions alone. The lions not.

Let us split the potential glory between the other legiond while a part of the Liond are still heading home. That leaves us with a diverserty, FWs fifth book is missing. I haven't finished reading it as it was solely UM, which is fine but for our project, diversity can be our strength. :)

You sure this isn't just a plot device? Having the greatest battle ever? I mean look where the dominion is on the map. Between the dominion amd rhe realm of the stormlord lies terra. Above will be the suzerainity if they sit on han( not sure where exaclty they will be). But the major danger is on terras east. so why having a north western front? Especially as it has tight defenses.

I know what you think: it worked on ultramar.lorgar attacked with angrom a full legion. Difference here: they thought they are friends and that they habe a maneuver togheter. Then the wordbearers crashed their ships destroying nearly the complete fleet of the um.

Here we have a tight defense and a full legion awaiting the thrill of battle. They are prepared. Even if the temptations of chaos are great, normally attscking under these circumstances is suicide. Even a maniac like travier would know this. And he is not simply a maniac. He is a cunning maniac.

I second kelborn here: not for the glory element but for the drama. A campaign were the few lions defend the dominion with all they got is more interesting as the full legion sitting at home waiting for an attsck that might occur whem the traitors decide that attscking terra from the other side is far more promising. The lions don't know that they habe to endure the storm on their hometurf. Alex could foresee it but is powers are the most correct the nearer the future is. But to sraw a whole legion togheter if they.fought on a battlefield consumes time and then his vision may be incorrect. Would he gamble with the future of the imperium?

The Blood Crusade is on the Crimson Lions home turf. It should be them that do the majority of the fighting. And it's been Crimson Lions pretty much alone(with ragtag elements of various legions but the CL are by far the largest unified loyalist force) since the idea was first floated.

And they are their on the Warmaster's orders. As I explained to Mikhal, with the stalemate Alex has had to spread the legions across his line in order to not allow weak spots as, while Icarion still wants to get to Terra, he's not going all out like he does later so the rest of the Imperium needs protecting. So he deploys the Lions to defend their home turf and hold his northern flank.

@Mikhal: The Lions are there full force yes. But they are spread out across his northern flank in full force. So it will take them time to react in anything approaching full strength. They need to defend and be reactionary to the traitors movements whereas the traitors can choose when and where they want to strike and they can hit very hard. The Lions need to guess where the traitors are coming and deploy accordingly.

Example: In the invasion of the Blood Stars, the Cognis and a large force of Eagle Warriors attack a mechanicum faction within the Dominion. Now yes, the Lions are on home ground and they are there full strength but in the Blood Stars there's only 15,000-20,000 Lions total ad they need to defend every important point. The only times they'll deploy at anything approaching full strength are the Gidion Rift, probably around 90,000 or so, and when the traitors are closing in on Mycenae itself when every Lion within travel distance will be there.

I intend for the bulk of the fighting to be done by the Leonic Auxilia led by their Uemos'.

Edited by Sigismund229

More notes:

• Alex has successfully kept Icarion out of Segmentum Solar, so replace Sol System with Delos or some other system on the border between Solar and Ultima.
  • Icarion was preparing to assault Terra before the stalemate was broken? That's an interesting idea. Perhaps Icarion made a couple of failed pushes to Terra before he was sent falling back, much like in WW1 when there were several major assaults to break through the trenches.
  • Grave Stalkers would be annihilated in a pitch battle with the Iron Bears. Their numbers are too small, and they rely alot on ambush and raid tactics to maintain an advantage. You can have them just harry and pin the Bears or replace them with a different Legion.
  • As to the debate of how many Lions would be available, the Imperial front lines of the Insurrection almost form a circle of containment around the Stormlord's empire, but, given that warriors tend to fight better on their home territory, most Crimson Lion elements would be concentrated in the Galactic Northeastern Fronts. So, while I would say it'd be impossible for the entire Crimson Lion legion to be involved in the Blood Crusade, I think it's more than possible that most of the legion is present. So, it's not so much as that the Lions are in reserve in the Dominion, but that they are on the front lines near the Dominion.

EDIT: What Sig said, except for a few small Lion elements that happen to be in different warzones. Like, say, a platoon of Lions fighting in the South, who can't make it back in time.

Edited by simison

Mortal soldiers...hmm...probably somewhere in the region of 1 million Leonic Auxilia as a garrisson backed up by around 20 million tribal militia(seeing as they'll be going all out to defend their home).

Cocidii numbers could fluctuate. I only imgied there being 5000 Cocidii total(they're rare) and a lot of those will have chosen to stay around Terra as that's where they think the glory is. Upon hearing of the Blood Crusade they'll hurry bck but I don't think more thanmaybe 1000 will get to Cadia in time to play a part.

Sim also realised that the Interex are close to Huron, which means that area of space will be very well defended.

Hm, you know? If Daer'dd and the Iron Bears hadn't been screwed early on, they would've provided quite the powerhouse for the Loyalists.