Mithril's- Deathwatch & Painting Challenge Plog.

MithrilForge

I agree the flesh is very nice, and natural looking. Not too over baked which is tempting because the shades can work so well. I'm surprised you start as dark as Cadian Fleshtone, but maybe it works because you start with a white undercoat? Very nice start though. :)

I've been primer coat in most stuff w/ white lately.Dunno it's seems I get nicer detail primer white - inkwash and then base coat .The colors build up over a few coats but seem fresher?You mentioned the Lahmia media for thinning color I assume ,is it good?Seen fella using it in the GW painting DW tutorial and am curious .Anything is probably better than reg.water!

I agree the flesh is very nice, and natural looking. Not too over baked which is tempting because the shades can work so well. I'm surprised you start as dark as Cadian Fleshtone, but maybe it works because you start with a white undercoat? Very nice start though. smile.png

HAHA.. funny you say that, i looked at the flesh paint pot last night and the actual name is rubbed off huh.png it either looks like cadian or kislev...i'm tending towards kislev...it's from the last batch of paints before the new update so who knows what it was called, elf flesh?... (shrug) happy.png

i always find heads and shoulder pads are better done with white undercoat...always just did it that way.

The little guy and the wife were sick last couple days so only did a small amount of work on the dark angel and Ultra dude..will try more tonight and hopefully some more update pics tomorrow !

cheers, Mithril

++EDIT ++ Paint colour is DWARF FLESH

ONDIG- yeah, as duncan says, on some area's i mix lahmian medium in with it, especially white as it loses the chalkiness it gets when you water it down with...watertongue.png the reds are smoother in transitioning and as stated it lasts longer on the palette too.

I agree the flesh is very nice, and natural looking. Not too over baked which is tempting because the shades can work so well. I'm surprised you start as dark as Cadian Fleshtone, but maybe it works because you start with a white undercoat? Very nice start though. smile.png

HAHA.. funny you say that, i looked at the flesh paint pot last night and the actual name is rubbed off huh.png it either looks like cadian or kislev...i'm tending towards kislev...it's from the last batch of paints before the new update so who knows what it was called, elf flesh?... (shrug) happy.png

i always find heads and shoulder pads are better done with white undercoat...always just did it that way.

The little guy and the wife were sick last couple days so only did a small amount of work on the dark angel and Ultra dude..will try more tonight and hopefully some more update pics tomorrow !

cheers, Mithril

++EDIT ++

ONDIG- yeah, as duncan says, on some area's i mix lahmian medium in with it, especially white as it loses the chalkiness it gets when you water it down with...watertongue.png the reds are smoother in transitioning and as stated it lasts longer on the palette too.

Haha... I went out and bought some Cadian fleshtone and now you're not sure if you use it? lol

Well I tried it and before I read your post I found I had to use the Lahmian medium and it's nice... really nice. I don't even go up to Kislev anymore but I might try some subtle highlights with it. I find after the Riekland Flesh shade it's pretty decent. I'm liking it though.

Agree on the medium with the Reds too.. helps a lot.

Since the head is such a small area, I may use Vallejo Surface Primer so I can brush it on.  I'm thinking of using the light grey instead though, since it's what I have and I want a slightly darker finish.

For the white prime, do you use the GW primer or a different one? I've been priming in black since the armor is black but I would curious to try something else. Awesome painting also!

I have a can of Black and a can of white GW spray, when i have enough white things i want painted i put em all on blu-tac mounted on toothpicks and spray em all at one time...so i would have maybe a dozen of each white heads and shoulder pads sitting on my model desk waiting for other stuff to get based in black...

Mithril

i have based before with tamiya spray -surface primer grey, that works really well too thumbsup.gif

Oh snap! That termi captain is the bees knees! Only teeny tiny critique would be to add a highlight on the yellow shoulder pad, but everything else is bang-on! The ultra biker head also looks absolutely stellar! I would LOVE to see this force come together! Keep up the great work! ...and ...add some speeders. :p

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,went on family holiday for 10days...took my bikers to paint but it was so hectic I didn't get to touch them even. My bro in law had his alternator go on his troopy 4wd, so I spent the first 3 days ferrying people and gear on 3hour round trips across the state border and back whilst repairs were being organised...suffice to say the days after were spent frantically trying to visit locales and do holiday stuff. Now I'm back and doing much needed gardening to get the house up to scratch again...painting will begin tonight with much zeal! Update soon...

Cheers Mithril

sorry not much work done so just some quick pics...still trying to get myself back into gear...(i blame netflix and Luke Cage biggrin.png)

My Darkangel,Bloodangel and Ultra bikers for my Venator squad (only doing three for now but want to get a full 5 man squad eventually) more work has been done but didn't bring the pics to work to upload yet sad.png

med_gallery_9146_7882_339031.jpg med_gallery_9146_7882_735985.jpg

here is my blu tac'd Sgt ....or Blackshield for the squad...which should he be?

med_gallery_9146_7882_569177.jpg

Cheers Mithril

Wow you're really going all out on those dudes sinking in quicksand.... Just kidding, but really that's pretty hardcore painting them separate like that. (I guess it's the bikes in the way though isn't it? )

I haven't done bikers in a while, and I'm not looking forward to it, but I can't see using a CAD without them. They're looking very nice so far, really like the reds.

LOL laugh.png quicksand got me bikers...damn necron wraiths comin outta the sand furious.gif.

yeppers its easier to paint them off the saddle and just plonk em down when their done, the legs are attached to the bike and i pre-glued the arms with them correctly sitting on the bike so they fit real snug.

I'll prob finish the bikes themselves tonight and get some pics up tomorrow.

hey prot whats your call on the Sgt/Blackshield?... interested to hear your thoughts...

Mithril

Quick question for you, mithril: is your Captain finished? If so, you might want to declare him as finished in the IFE thread so that your vow can be logged as "complete". :)

Anyway, looking good so far. Will keep popping in every so often to have a look!

quick post, not much again...real life is a wee bit bothersome sometimes happy.png anyways shoulderpad and new head done,i decided i didn't like the original blood angel head(it's now sitting on top of my Fleshtearer DW from the vet squad as that face suited that figure bettercool.png) . the Dark Angel has his robes done and a small amount of paint on the bikes...going to my mates "40k paint night" tonight so more work Will be done thumbsup.gif

med_gallery_9146_7882_600389.jpg

med_gallery_9146_7882_584138.jpg

i tried the new face tutorial from the new White dwarf on this guys eyes,instead of doing a black dot in the center you paint the whole eye black and dot 2x white dots on the sides instead...kinda worked ok (more faces to do as i want most of my Deathwatch to be bare headed so more practice of the eyes is imminent tongue.png)

mithril

Those looks nice mate. Nice and clean painting!

Painting eyes have been a pain for many of us. Still is for me too. I have tried a lot of different techniques. 

One that I liked a lot was one I called the "racoon". Painted the eye (oval shaped of course) black. Followed by white inside the black. Another oval shape so to speak inside the first. 

So now you have a black edge around the white. 

Finally you added a black dot in the middle. 

This gave an enhanced appearance to the models face. Pretty much how make up works... But, with the new GW painted (shades) and their improved quality this technique kinda died out for me. 

• 2 weeks later...

just some quick pics again to show i'm actually painting the actual 5 man Deathwatch team apart from some bikers tongue.png i actually pulled out the proverbial finger and stuck the squad together from the parts i wanted...

A raptor Stalker marine, a chainsword wielding flesh tearer and the black body is my Sgt's (his arms are spiked on toothpicks in the background)

med_gallery_9146_7882_48967.jpg

med_gallery_9146_7882_155631.jpg med_gallery_9146_7882_192393.jpg

the other 2 are being made now, a shotgun wielding minotaur and a Spacewolf Frag Cannoneer both of which i hope will look ...devil.gif

anyways after i finish the heads first ill start cracking onto the rest (and finish those bikes as well during this tongue.png

Cheers Mithril

They are all coming together nicely! I can't paint miniatures in pieces like that though. Something I might be able to do is prime them, paint the chest region and stuff then attach the primed arms and paint them.. Still not sure about that though.

Anyway, Great Work!

Also.. <3 Lahmian Medium.

Something else I've seen one of the Gold Demon painters do us use a loaded brush. If I can find the exact link again I'll share it but the idea is you load half your brush with the base color then just get a tiny dot of white on the tip. Start on the brightest point then apply the paint as the light would go. Works great for blending edges and getting that circular light arc on shoulder pads and knee pads. It also allows you to blend without having to mix different shades on the pallet. If you use the base with the white dot on the tip it blends it all for you.

They are all coming together nicely! I can't paint miniatures in pieces like that though. Something I might be able to do is prime them, paint the chest region and stuff then attach the primed arms and paint them.. Still not sure about that though.

Yeah, everyone has their "WAY" of painting biggrin.png ,My mate puts em all together and paints em and it drives me nuts...it may be cause i think i couldn't get to the tight spots i know are there...even after it's glued together and you can't see it...that must be a Painting OCD of some sort...unsure.png .

i'd have to see that white on the brush tutorial to grasp it fully...interesting idea...rolleyes.gif

Mithril

that must be a Painting OCD of some sort...unsure.png .

I'd only worry about it if you start counting brush strokes or something. tongue.png

For me, I've always preferred assemble -> paint, but I guess that's more due to impatience than anything else.

Archived