[40K] Crimson Templars (2016-12-11: Darkshroud finished!)

Flintfish

My recent Sorceror has a 'skirt' made from a mustard tube. I didn't sand it and the paint has adhered properly.

I did cut my fingers several times on sharp edges, though. 

That's good to know and will sure save me some time in the future. I was afraid of especially the insides since I assume they're treated with something to keep the food from sticking.

The point about cutting fingers is also a very good warning; would wrapping the edge over itself a bit work do you think?

Yes but you'll cut yourself doing it.

My recent Sorceror has a 'skirt' made from a mustard tube. I didn't sand it and the paint has adhered properly.

I did cut my fingers several times on sharp edges, though. 

That's good to know and will sure save me some time in the future. I was afraid of especially the insides since I assume they're treated with something to keep the food from sticking.

The point about cutting fingers is also a very good warning; would wrapping the edge over itself a bit work do you think?

Yes but you'll cut yourself doing it.

I'll have to use a couple of pliers then or something - still beats cutting yourself everytime you play with the model :lol:

How about just sanding the edges a bit? Should be far less work than bending.

Never had the sharp edge problem really. Maybe I got at good tube or my scissors are sharp enough fit a nice cut.

As for the captain and paint equation it will be solved in due time, but I feel I need to warm up on some regular bikers first...

• 2 weeks later...

Not as exciting as previous posts perhaps, but the work on the darkshroud has begun in earnest. I have cut up the original body and started working on the new front. Here's the first test assembly (and also a cell phone camera test). Can't really see much for all the tape and poster tac but at least it all fits together in the middle which is the important part biggrin.png

30008662831_66195914b4_o.jpg

The weapons on the sides are contemptor autocannons I'll try to convert to some advanced grenade launchers to replicate the "magic statue" effect of the DA version. Plan is to attach new shorter, wider barrels (think psilencer) and scratch build a new mag at the rear feeding it big ass grenades. Anvil industries frag launcher is close to what I had in mind but we'll see how far my skills will take me... whistlingW.gif

• 1 month later...

It's been over a month since my last update. I planned on a more or less bi-weekly posting schedule but work and a 2 week holiday abroad messed with that idea. whistlingW.gif

There has been some progress on the Darkshroud though. I have rebuilt the front end with plasticard and miliput and now finally joined all the major body parts together. Weapons have been modified and magnetized as well. A lot of things are still in a rather WIP state but compared to last time plenty have been finished and I think it's a decent improvement on the standard version.

30914348915_679bebaf7b_o.jpg

30878344946_46baa9ce73_o.jpg

A lot of things are still left to glue in place and probably wonky in the photo, but I'll wait until the major bodywork is actually done so it doesn't get in the way of all the filling and sanding. Next step will be to cover up the join between the two halves and finish off all the small details. Need to work on the grenade launchers that will replace the magic statues as well (currently they're in plenty of pieces so the plasma battery is standing in for the Kodak moment).

• 5 weeks later...

The Darkshroud/Vengeance conversion is finally done!

31194306650_664c507d97_o.jpg

31194306800_48b5a61edb_o.jpg

30725207264_8b515896a0_o.jpg

30725207344_dbd8835e32_o.jpg

31450683541_978422e8fe_o.jpg

In the end I'm pretty pleased. The new grenade launchers to replace the magic statues fits the part (made from a Kheres assualt cannon with scratchbuilt magazine and new bigger barrels from Cadian grenade launchers). The fact the new profile with the front being lower down then the engines also matched better with the other speeders is a bonus as well. I also like the fact that so many round things points in the same direction - seems to give a bit more of purpose to it's motion.

While I was at it I finished two of my regular speeders as well. These were pretty much done but lacked some purity seals and a few weapon options were not magnetized yet.

31450683681_905eb86c6b_o.jpg

This trio goes on the painting table over christmas. Won't be done when it's time to back to work, but at least the base coats and a bit more I should be able to finish before the everyday grind starts again.

31194306760_34de30f091_o.jpg

First of all thanks for all the praise. Nice to know the work is apreciated

That pilot's torso, is that a custom sculpt? Looks lovely with the breathing tube.

Wish I could take credit for that one, but it's the original pilot of the darkshroud/vengeance.

Archived