Ashen Heralds project log

elohimalpha

Hey all!

So, recently I came across the Tale of Twenty Hobbyists project. While the participation slots filled up before I came along, I still spent the next few days coming up with a project list as if I was participating, and I came to the realization that I might (might!) just be able to get an actual 1500+ pt army done by April. This would be huge for me, since glaciers would paint faster than me if they had hands. And paint. And models... Anyway, I've been inspired to get to work on my piles of plastic, and it seems pretty reasonable now.

I'm going to try to stick to the ToTH rules as closely as possible, since it was what got me so stoked in the first place. I'm trying to contain my list to models I already own, so some of the choices are sub-optimal I'm sure. Oh well. If I get this completed, I'll be looking at a solid core to build on.

Here's the plan:

October - 360 points - 6 models

Death Company Dreadnought

Death Company Squad w/ Jump Packs

November - 350 points - 6 models

Terminator Assault Squad

Terminator Librarian

December - 250 points - 1 model

Land Raider

January - 205 points - 11 models

Tactical Squad w/ Rhino

February - 205 points - 10 models

Tactical Squad

March - 190 points - 10 models

Tactical Squad

April - 140 points - 1 model

Predator

Project total: 1700 points - 45 models

Alright, there it is! If it's on the interwebz, it has to happen, yeah? Photos will be inbound shortly.

Thanks for reading!

Oh yeah, double post!!

DC%2BDread%2Bparts.jpg

My DC Dread. Man do I love this kit. I really agonized over how to build it out, because I also love Librarians, and that Librarian Dread looks like a killer. I considered magnetizing and modifying the planned paint job, but in the end I just decided to press on, keep it simple for right now and commit to one option. I have loved Dreads ever since I first became aware of 40k back in the Dawn of War days. To me, they perfectly define what the setting is all about - the right balance of grimdark and pseudo-ridiculousness.

• 1 month later...

Hey all!

So, here's things as they currently stand. I somehow managed to lose my DC Dread.

...yeah.

So that's obviously not going to make my deadline. The better news is I still have my 5 man Death Company, and I think I can have them finished up in a few hours.

20161031_111541.jpg

20161031_111558.jpg

As you can see, they've got a bit to go. This project has gotten me to do more painting than I've done in a long time, and while I wish I could say I was rusty, that would imply that I had some amount of skill to start with. Whatever. I'm having fun, and it hasn't been a total disaster. Other than, you know, losing one of my favorite models.

See you on the other side!

Thanks Kurama! It's all a bit rougher than I'm happy with, but I guess that's the only way to improve.

Terminators are inbound! Hammers and shields for everyone! Should have 'before' pics up sometime later this week.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here we are in November! Must be Terminator time! The plan is to get a 5 man squad with Thunder Hammers and Storm Shields, accompained by a Terminator Librarian. Originally I was planning on picking up the Blood Angels one, because it's awesome, and huge, and wonderful, but I decided it'd be a shame to overlook my Space Hulk Librarian, who has been patiently gathering dust for years. So, my planned combi-melta is out, dropping my point total a bit. Also joining him from the twisted depths of the Warp is Sgt. Gideon(?), who has strangely managed to gather the exact same amount of dust.

Plodding right along, here's the first three models for my squad.

IMG_20161112_151023.jpg

Exciting!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, here it is, the very last day of November. Did I get it done? Ehhhh.... the answer is a resounding "kinda".

20161130_165747.jpg

The arms aren't attached, as I'm hoping to magnetize down the road, and the shoulder pads will have to follow suit. Also, the shields, while painted, are not exactly 'finished'. But, as a plus, I painted up a sixth Termie, so that has to count for something, right? Right? Right!

The painting is coming a little easier, and I'm liking my color scheme so far. I need to step up my game though, and maybe take better care of my brushes - they're looking a little ragged. Sad face.

Anyway, December is Land Raider month, so hopefully I can revisit these guys and give them a little more love. Thanks for reading!

Archived