BL coming soon

hopkins

The 2017 calendars are up!

http://www.blacklibrary.com/merchandise/Calendars/2017-calendar-art-of-bl.html

http://www.blacklibrary.com/merchandise/Calendars/2017-calendar-hh.html

New HH book/audio/who knows:

The Binary Succession by David Annandale:

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Images/Product/AlternativeBL/xlarge/BLPROCESSED-05-11-calendar_HH_Product_Art_3.jpg

Crimson King's artwork is listed for november, which doesn't mean much with how random the order is. The list does indicate a CD release of Children of Sicarus and Heart of the Pharos, though.

We're finally seeing Magnus the Red's main artwork in better quality/full, though, and Lorgar is getting a Primarchs novel soon (artwork for July).

new works:

Eye of Medusa

Lucius: The Faultless Blade (reminds me of Lucius: The Eternal Blade)

Also confirms some artworks as final, like Mephiston.

Some of the months on the calendars match the releases, and then other months have listings for books that we know come out earlier.

Conclusion: hard to conclude anything for certain but it does seem to indicate strongly that Perturabo Limited Edition comes out in April, and Lorgar in July.

Eye of Medusa, we need more information on what that is.and by who.

Just did a quick google, and this post came up on David Guymer's blog, from May: https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_posts/11870279-warhammer-fest-that-was

"My fingers are warmed up and ready to get back onto my current project, Iron Hands: The Eye of Medusa. This was also announced at Warhammer Fest so I no longer have to be so cagey about talking about it. It's going to be the first of a trilogy looking at the rise of the Iron Hands Chapter Master, Kardan Stronos."

So Binary Succession by Annandale is a Horus Heresy novel about the Mars War, due in March 2017.

That is pretty cool. I kept hoping someone would cover the Mars conflict and with Praetorian of Dorn and Master of Mankind already covering the area around Holy Terra but not the Mars war itself, this makes perfect sense. Especially when you see that cover with a Titan and lots of Custodes.

Just did a quick google, and this post came up on David Guymer's blog, from May: https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_posts/11870279-warhammer-fest-that-was

"My fingers are warmed up and ready to get back onto my current project, Iron Hands: The Eye of Medusa. This was also announced at Warhammer Fest so I no longer have to be so cagey about talking about it. It's going to be the first of a trilogy looking at the rise of the Iron Hands Chapter Master, Kardan Stronos."

Kardan Stronos, I love that guy - he's the Chapter Master of that Space Marine Chapter well known for not having a Chapter Master! teehee.gif

*runs off crying into a nest made from pre-Raukaan IH background*

Negative. The Binary Succession is an audio drama. Source: David Annandale himself, just yesterday when I asked him directly.

https://twitter.com/David_Annandale/statuses/794887278657228800

Just did a quick google, and this post came up on David Guymer's blog, from May: https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_posts/11870279-warhammer-fest-that-was

Kardan Stronos, I love that guy - he's the Chapter Master of that Space Marine Chapter well known for not having a Chapter Master! teehee.gif

*runs off crying into a nest made from pre-Raukaan IH background*

At least you can be confident that Guymer is very passionate about the Iron Hands (and Ferrus is his favorite Primarch). He'll do them justice.

So Binary Succession by Annandale is a Horus Heresy novel about the Mars War, due in March 2017.

That is pretty cool. I kept hoping someone would cover the Mars conflict and with Praetorian of Dorn and Master of Mankind already covering the area around Holy Terra but not the Mars war itself, this makes perfect sense. Especially when you see that cover with a Titan and lots of Custodes.

Binary Succession is an audio drama as Dark Chaplain said. It covers some unknown event on Terra - not Mars, sadly.

What about this? http://www.blacklibrary.com/horus-heresy-reading-order.html

Not good enough? It's worked for me so far (I'm only like 6 books in though).

The list gets flimsier the deeper you go. I've never thought it hard to follow, and the Garro stories being properly interspersed is a big help.

They don't split the anthologies though, so they'll be all over the place. I'd recommend using Tymell's reading order if you want to be a completionist.

That's nice, but it's linear. And presumably only works if you have everything as an ebook/mobi/epub for accessibility. 

I think if I/someone was to do a version of the Trek chart, it would be ... 20+ columns, chronological: 18 for the legions, 1 for Terran machinations (like 'Blood Games'), 1 for army, 1 for remembrancers, etc., with the text in each individual 'narrative' marked out. So you know what to read just for the XV, but see that they intersperse with V, VI, VII, Outcast Dead (Terra column), etc, columns. Thrawn and 8of5's graph is pretty amazing how they fit (with each new version) a lot of information on it. All those lines are complicated, but actually very good at telling you where to go to read. Of course it only really works to follow threads if you have access to all the books which is possible on the internet, but expensive or illegal! Or pay pennies for paperbacks, but a lot on postage. 

Anyway as for the graph ... something for after the PhD. Along with finally making any models (perhaps inspired by Veteran Sergeant's True Scale tutorial, but i am a novice!). I have til then to decide V (Malcador-supported mixed arms), VI (some of those poor souls depicted in Ahriman) or XV (a line company like Khayon's, or Amon's Hidden Ones or Ignus's Masters of Ruin) ... or Blackshields (which I'm also tempted by, but then i worry I'm losing out on the story with random nasty marines). 

Anyway the graph ...

How badly would it mangle the story to just follow specific threads from start to finish?  I find their recommended order is biting off a lot to chew.  It seems like it'd be easier to follow a story if I picked one (like the Garro stories) and just read all of them in a row and then went back to the beginning and read another thread through, but would that ruin the overall pace?  I'm only about 8 books in and only the first 3 were direct continuations so it's a lot to keep track of with it all jumbled up, but I don't know what kind of overlap they will eventually have that might spoil things...  

Garro specifically I wouldn't say you need to read until you get close to Vengeful Spirit, same with The Silent War's stories. A lot of the short stories are best read around when they become relevant to the novels.

The overlap is going to start pretty soon for you. Mechanicum I'd get out of the way soon, though that plotline won't be fully picked up again for a long time. It sets some things up for the Sol System at least. If you can, I'd read The Kaban Machine from Shadows of Treachery before you do, though, to introduce one problem from there; The Kaban Machine predates the series pretty much, but was only collected later.

Tales of Heresy you can take or leave at this moment, though I'd say that you'd be well off reading Call of the Lion before Fallen Angels, and Scions of the Storm before The First Heretic (it is set during TFH). Wolf at the Door is good for after Prospero Burns, and The Voice is post-Eisenstein, so read it when you like to see more of Kendel. The Last Church is a free for all for you, and After Desh'ea is up to you, but before Betrayer.

The overlap really kicks off with A Thousand Sons and Prospero Burns; read them one after the other, no excursions to Nemesis and The First Heretic between them. The First Heretic will have influence over a bunch of novels in the 20s especially.

The 20s are where I wouldn't go anymore without having caught up. There are some books like The Damnation of Pythos which will be fine as long as you've seen the Dropsite Massacre, though even that has a short story in Legacies of Betrayal as a prequel, and one in War Without End. Most other books are pulling plotlines together, including the short stories which were reprinted in anthologies afterwards - that's when the trouble starts. Vengeful Spirit for example kicks off after Angel Exterminatus, Little Horus, The Either, Garro: Legion of One, Daemonology, Scars, Wolf King and others. Setting individual storylines apart is tough there.

Right then hive mind, starting a mammoth reread soon. So which HH novellas, collections, shorts and audios have NOT made it into a numbered novel?

Children of Sicarus

Myriad

Blackshield

Tallarn: Siren

Tallarn: Witness

The Dark Between the Stars/The Heart of the Pharos

The Thirteenth Wolf (upcoming)

Meduson (including Meduson, The Either, The Keys of Hel, Unforged, Unspoken, Immortal Duty, The Noose, Deeds Endure, Grey Talon and Hand Elect)

Promethean Sun

Scorched Earth

The Honoured

The Unburdened

Wolf King

Cybernetica

The Seventh Serpent

Tallarn: Executioner

Tallarn: Ironclad

Sons of the Forge (upcoming)

Garro: Oath of Moment, Sword of Truth, Burden of Duty, Ashes of Fealty, Shield of Lies, Legion of One and Vow of Faith, but they'll all be in "Garro" soon.

Also the Primarch books (Guilliman & Russ so far) and the graphic novel Macragge's Honour.

Think that's it thus far smile.png (there are other collections, but they don't collect anything that isn't already in the numbered series or the above)

Right then hive mind, starting a mammoth reread soon. So which HH novellas, collections, shorts and audios have NOT made it into a numbered novel?

Children of Sicarus

Myriad

Blackshield

Tallarn: Siren

Tallarn: Witness

The Dark Between the Stars/The Heart of the Pharos

The Thirteenth Wolf (upcoming)

Meduson (including Meduson, The Either, The Keys of Hel, Unforged, Unspoken, Immortal Duty, The Noose, Deeds Endure, Grey Talon and Hand Elect)

Promethean Sun

Scorched Earth

The Honoured

The Unburdened

Wolf King

Cybernetica

The Seventh Serpent

Tallarn: Executioner

Tallarn: Ironclad

Sons of the Forge (upcoming)

Garro: Oath of Moment, Sword of Truth, Burden of Duty, Ashes of Fealty, Shield of Lies, Legion of One and Vow of Faith, but they'll all be in "Garro" soon.

Also the Primarch books (Guilliman & Russ so far) and the graphic novel Macragge's Honour.

Think that's it thus far smile.png (there are other collections, but they don't collect anything that isn't already in the numbered series or the above)

I would exchange all of them just for 1 novel. Abnett - do you hear me!

The messy out of order world that is the HH series. Imagine if you are a new reader  - how on earth are you meant to read the series??? It's the same with Scars, coming long before in book order its predecessor story. I sometimes wonder about recommending the novels to people ... but I have no idea how to really explain read 'these ones, then these ones, then these ones' etc. 

Well what I would love is a HH version of the following:

[link to full size image]

It would be wonderful! This even covers roughly the same amount of material as the Horus Heresy series.

How badly would it mangle the story to just follow specific threads from start to finish?  I find their recommended order is biting off a lot to chew.  It seems like it'd be easier to follow a story if I picked one (like the Garro stories) and just read all of them in a row and then went back to the beginning and read another thread through, but would that ruin the overall pace?  I'm only about 8 books in and only the first 3 were direct continuations so it's a lot to keep track of with it all jumbled up, but I don't know what kind of overlap they will eventually have that might spoil things...  

There is, actually, a nice horus heresy reading order, found it on flickr, here is the link: https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5476/30969855166_d9a5dbc6f7_o.jpg

It's not essential, but I always like a reread the existing books before tackling a new one

For example, to get ready for The Master Of Mankind, I've done The First Heretic. Aurelian, Deliverance Lost (also as part of the Corax prep) and will  look at Visions tonight

Archived