BL coming soon

hopkins

Ah, alright.

The present-tense style Wendig went for was atrocious. Broken up sentences, half-formed, trying to inject a fast pace into a pretty dull story. The most interesting parts are the interludes which basically tell you what you wanted to know in the aftermath of episode vi, whereas the main plot is ridiculous and full of characters that just-so-happened-to-be-there, but act like idiots. It focuses on the least interesting ideas, like having a teenage genius boy with parental problems.

There's various gay characters in it, which wouldn't be a problem at all (it wasn't in Tarkin, for instance), but here its just on the nose "oh by the way I wouldn't be attracted to you because I'm not straight" kind of deal. It doesn't feel like a character's identity but just to check some boxes. Weirdly, since a lot of people criticised the hamfisted approach, Wendig has gone to great lengths to trash any sort of criticism of the book that dares mention it as down to homophobia and what have you, and openly mocked the book's detractors as such. Would be a lot of those, seeing the amazon ratings. Wendig has been very clear about his ideological inclinations and let them color his judgement to the point of coming down on negative reviews on Goodreads and all.

But the big problem with the book besides the awful writing style (which is more bearable if you listen to the audiobook instead, but still not good), is that the basic plot is not compelling. It completely failed to be the post-Return of the Jedi book it was marketed as. Characters are mentioned here and there (in a way that reminds me now of South Park's Memberberries, just randomly thrown in) but Wendig paid too much attention to his curiously diverse, overly competent yet still unlikeable original characters to get the feeling of Star Wars right. Cut out the interludes and mentions of movie characters and you'd have a damn boring book that wouldn't stand well on its own.

I hear Life Debt got better towards the end, but still suffers from a lot of those problems. I'm still avoiding that one though, one of his books was enough.

Today's Black Library Live, correct? Here's hoping we'll get some more announcements beyond what we know out of that.

We don't have a release date for the collected Robbie MacNiven Legacy of Russ novel yet, for example, and we know there's a sequel to tie into Wrath of Magnus coming up.

The Advent Calendar subscription is live now:

Eighteen short stories and six full-cast audio dramas bring you a whole host of stories from the worlds of Warhammer 40,000, Warhammer Age of Sigmar, The Horus Heresy and Blood Bowl – and they're all brand new!

BLOOD BOWL STORIES!

Today's Black Library Live, correct? Here's hoping we'll get some more announcements beyond what we know out of that.

We don't have a release date for the collected Robbie MacNiven Legacy of Russ novel yet, for example, and we know there's a sequel to tie into Wrath of Magnus coming up.

Yeah, has that been confirmed? Who would be writing it?

French maybe?

As he is writing some kind of a characterization of Ahriman on the new community page?

Maybe to explain why Ahriman is with Magnus again and everything that lead to Fenris II?

More stuff added to Amazon now.

Glory Imperialis Omnibus (Imperial Glory, Commissar & Iron Guard)

Sisters of Battle Omnibus (Faith & Fire, Hammer & Anvil + Red & Black in prose)

Forges of Mars Omnibus ( Priests, Lords & Gods of Mars, plus Zero Day Exploit)

Legacy of the Wulfen (Curse of the Wulfen + Legacy of Russ)

Ravenor re-releases

Macharian Crusade Omnibus (no new cover art, just cropped from Angel of Fire with a bit of recoloring)

Shield of Baal (SMB) got a new cover art, which is infinitely more boring than the previous one we were shown (cropped from the supplements).

Lemartes gets a re-dressing as Space Marine Legends after all.

The Eye of Ezekiel (Space Marine Battles)

Ezekiel, Grand Master of the Librarians, must lead the Dark Angels to victory against a massive ork army.

In the grim future of the 41st millennium, the Imperium is beset by alien races that wish nothing more than to defeat, enslave or devour humankind. Most numerous among these foes are the orks, inhuman brutes that cannot be underestimated. When the Adeptus Mechanicus invokes an ancient pact with the Dark Angels, Ezekiel, Grand Master of the Librarians, must lead the 5th Company to liberate the planet of Honoria from a vast ork army. Even reinforced by the regiments of the Astra Militarum, the Dark Angels face a tremendous challenge, and the Adeptus Mechanicus appear to have their own reasons for becoming involved in this conflict…

Mephiston: Blood of Sanguinius

Blood Angels Chief Librarian Mephiston ventures to a war-torn shrine world to uncover the truth about the mysterious Blade Petrific.

The shrine world of Divinatus Prime has become lost to the light of the Astronomican and no ship can piece its veil. Only the Lord of Death himself, Blood Angels Chief Librarian Mephiston, has any hope of discerning the fate of this once pious world. After enacting a powerful blood ritual, Mephiston and an honour guard of his fellow Blood Angels reach the stricken shrine world to find it seized by a religious civil war. Each faction fights for dominance of a potent artefact, the Blade Petrific, said to be wrought by the Emperor Himself. Yet there is more at work here than a mere ideological schism, for Mephiston believes Divinatus Prime could offer answers to how he became the Lord of Death by resisting the Black Rage, and possibly even a way to end the curse of ‘the Flaw’ in all Blood Angels.

Scythes of the Emperor (Space Marine Battles), paperback

Includes Slaughter at Giant's Coffin and 5 short stories (presumably Heloth, Last Watch, The Shadow of the Beast and possibly Daedalus, potentially another advent short)

A doomed Space Marine Chapter confronts the alien tyranids in a devastating battle for survival.

Following the loss of their home world Sotha to the tyranid Hive Fleet Kraken, the Scythes of the Emperor begin a new kind of war against the alien menace. Facing further humiliation and defeat after regrouping at the Giant’s Coffin on Miral Prime, recently appointed Chapter Master Thracian must find a way exploit his warriors’ need for vengeance if their Space Marine Chapter is to have any hope of survival... This collection spans the greatest period of upheaval in the Scythes of the Emperor's history, and includes the novel Slaughter at Giant’s Coffin along with five additional short stories.

Resurrection

Inquisitor Covenant and his warband go on the hunt for a traitor within their holy order.

War rages in the Caradryad Sector. Worlds are falling to madness and rebellion, and the great war machine of the Imperium is moving to counter the threat. Amongst its agents is Inquisitor Covenant. Puritan, psyker, expert swordsman, he reserves an especial hatred for those of his order who would seek to harness the power of Ruin as a weapon. Summoned to an inquisitorial conclave, Covenant believes he has uncovered such a misguided agent and prepares to denounce the heretic Talicto before his fellows. But when the gathering is attacked and many left dead in its wake, Covenant vows to hunt down Talicto and discover the truth behind the mysterious cult apparently at the heart of the massacre. In the murky plot into which he is drawn, Covenant knows only one thing for certain: trust no one.

Black Legion

Abaddon returns from exile and raises the dreaded Black Legion.

The Sons of Horus may be no more, but rising from their ashes come the Black Legion. Returning after his long self-imposed exile, Abaddon offers the disparate Chaos Space Marine warbands within the Eye of Terror a simple choice – join him or die. As his newborn war host emerges from the Eye of Terror to ravage the galaxy, none can stand in Abaddon’s path, not even the Black Templars Chapter - sworn to stand guard at the storm’s edge -  nor the Emperor’s Champion himself.

The Emperor's Legion

The Emperor's most trusted guardians fight beside his elite witch-hunters to defend the Golden Throne.

The Custodian Guard have stood watch over the Emperor's Palace on Terra since the foundation of the Imperium. Charged with protecting the Master of Mankind from all threats, within and without, their fearsome resolve is renowned throughout the galaxy, and their golden armour is the last thing that a would-be assassin or saboteur will ever see. Alongside the Null-maidens of the Sisters of Silence, who are anathema to psykers and sorcerers alike, there is no threat to the Golden Throne that they alone cannot vanquish... until now.

This honestly does not sound like a 40k novel to me. Sisters of Silence AND Custodes? Nevermind they just made it clear the former were wiped out, but the hell is up with that? Hopefully the "Watchers of the Throne" series title indicates something like The Beast Arises here...

I took some notes in the Coming Soon seminar at Black Library Live - putting a few blog posts out to gather everything together. The first one's up now - upcoming 40k titles.

https://trackofwords.wordpress.com/2016/11/23/black-library-live-coming-soon-warhammer-40000/

Horus Heresy and Age of Sigmar posts coming soon...

Thanks,

NB.

That Watchers of the Throne book is by far the most intriguing one to me.

From what I'm reading on Track of Words, this seems to not be set in the 41th millenium, but they were very cagey about it.

I took some notes in the Coming Soon seminar at Black Library Live - putting a few blog posts out to gather everything together. The first one's up now - upcoming 40k titles.

https://trackofwords.wordpress.com/2016/11/23/black-library-live-coming-soon-warhammer-40000/

Horus Heresy and Age of Sigmar posts coming soon...

Thanks,

NB.

Very much interested in the HH report. Any details would be nice.

Thanks for all that!

I'm with you on being stoked for Dark Compliance, sounds great.

I'm also pleased to see clarification of Battle Bunnies' vague point about "3 more". Three more left to write gives me hope that the last few bits I'd like to see will get done, and indeed one of those, the doom of the Death Guard, is mentioned specifically. Excellent! Now I'm just hoping Mr. Wraight gets to do it :D

I'll hazard a guess that 43 and 46 will be collection anthologies.

Archived