HH 3k Imperial Fists Hammerfall

Progenitor

I am just starting to play 30k and am looking to build a list based off the oodles of Marines I got from buying two Calth sets. I've come up with the list below using one of the Imperial Fists Rites of War. I chose this one as the Breacher Squad one makes the whole thing rather expensive and while I'm understanding that overall this isn't the cheapest way to build an army anyway, there are limits. 

The premise of the army is that the Tacticals get an Apothecary each and provide cover and basic scoring units for the rest of the army.  The Heavy Support squads take advantage of Tank Hunters and the Legion specific rules respectively to provide heavy fire and anti-tank. The Templar Brethren and Terminators form the Deep Striking aspects of the army as well as some anti-tank and additional scoring. Sigismund goes in with one of them. 

The Dreads deal with flyers and lighter vehicles and then the Typhon helps round out the Siege theme of Imperial Fists and provides some tasty anti-everything firepower. 

Also, this list allows me to leverage a lot of value from the Calth sets as well as having some shiny Forge World gear without me having to sell an organ. 

So, the list; 

•                HQ (240pts)
    • Sigismund

Teleportation Transponder 

• Master of the Legion

Hammerfall Strike Force

• Troops (820pts)
    • Legion Tactical Squad 

14x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Nuncio-Vox

• Legion Tactical Sergeant

Artificer Armour

• Legion Tactical Squad

Artificer Armour

• Templar Brethren

9x Combat Shield, Legion Vexilla, Melta Bombs, Teleportation Transponder, 9x Templar Brethren

• Chapter Champion

Combat Shield, Solarite Power Gauntlet

• Elites (1020pts)
    • Apothecarion Detachment
      • Legion Apothecary

Artificer Armour, Augury Scanner

• Legion Apothecary

• Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought

Extra Armour, Two Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons

Extra Armour, Two Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons

• Legion Terminator Squad

Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, 4x Chainfis, Iliastus Pattern Assault Cannon, 9x Legion Terminators, 5x Power Fist, Teleportation Transponder, 8x Vigil Pattern Storm Shield

• Legion Terminator Sergeant

Grenade Harness, Thunderhammer, Vigil Pattern Storm Shield

•       Heavy Support (450pts)

• Legion Heavy Support Squad 

Hardened Armour, Lascannons, 4x Legion Space Marines

• Legion Sergeant 

Hardened Armour, 4x Legion Space Marines

• Legion Sergeant 

• Lord of War (475pts)
      • Legion Typhon Heavy Siege Tank

Armoured Ceramite , Hunter-killer Missile, Lascannons, Multi-melta                 

Hello,

The only thing I would point out in case you missed it (maybe you didn't miss it of course but as you haven't mentioned it anywhere I thought I should at least point it out just in case) is that this Rite of War requires all Vehicles to be held in reserve, which means that both Contemptors and the Typhon will be off the table for at least half the game and they are almost 1/3 of your points!

Combined with the fact that your Teleporting Templars and Terminators are also waiting to arrive, you'll be left with a half strength army that is lacking all its key elements (HQ, Elites and Vehicles).

Now, this isn't a huge deal, if you a way to manipulate reserves, except the only 2 ways I can think of to achieve that are Vehicles (Damocles Command for +/-1 to rolls and the LR Proteus' Augury Web which lets you re-roll completely), which as I stated before are forced to start off the table and their rules only work when they are on the table.

So basically it depends on if you think about 1000-1500 points of 'average' Space Marines can hold against a 3000 point army for 2-3 turns until all your key stuff arrives?

If you don't, but want to keep the Rite of War, maybe cut some vehicles and get more Infantry to hold until the Elites show up.

If you want to Assault with Hammerfall then the assault units need a dreadclaw or kharybdis.

Otherwise, the RoW is a trap for that kind of play alongside any vehicles/unpodded dreads you bring along.

If you want to play hammerfall then you need a Strong Gunline supported by powerful shooting that deepstrikes in otherwise I feel like youre just going to be disappointed with how little impact your teleporting infantry will have when they deepstrike doubly so if its a unit like templars who are likely to get erased before they can charge since they have to sit there for a turn after deepstriking.

I generally dislike Hammerfall because its a RoW that more or less works against itself.

Yes, I had thought about the limitations of the Rite of War, but perhaps hadn't considered the possibilities of not getting what I want for half the game and being dice dependant probably isn't the best way to be. So, for now, to get started I've remove the Rites of War and tweaked to the below; 

•                HQ (350pts)
    • Legion Centurion 

Artificer Armour, Plasma Pistol, Refractor Field

• May be upgraded to one of these Consul roles:

Chaplain

• Sigismund 
  • Troops (850pts)
    • Legion Tactical Squad 

Artificer Armour

• Legion Tactical Squad 

Artificer Armour

• Templar Brethren 

9x Combat Shield, Legion Vexilla, Melta Bombs, 9x Templar Brethren

• Chapter Champion

• Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier

Heavy Flamer

• Elites (965pts)
      • Legion Apothecary

Artificer Armour

• Legion Apothecary

Artificer Armour

Two Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons

Two Multi-Meltas

Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, 2x Chainfist, Iliastus Pattern Assault Cannon, 9x Legion Terminators, 7x Power Fist, Teleportation Transponder, 8x Vigil Pattern Storm Shield

Grenade Harness, Thunderhammer, Vigil Pattern Storm Shield

• Heavy Support (400pts)

Lascannons, 4x Legion Space Marines

• Legion Sergeant

4x Legion Space Marines

• Legion Sergeant

• Lord of War (435pts)

Lascannons                     

Again, you have Templar with a Transport that doesnt help them in any way. A rhino isn't an assault vehicle so once they disembark, they have to stand there for a turn and get shot to pieces and see their target either charge them or just get away from them and leave em high and dry.

If you want Templar then you want an assault vehicle simple as. At their Cheapest its a Dreadclaw.

Additionally, why do you have a Grenade Harness on your Terminators? Their all unwieldy so having Grenades on the charge doesnt do anything for them but soak up points in the list.

Too, theyre an Assault unit and you're deepstriking them. Same problem as above.

If you want Terminators in a deepstriking capacity, capitalize on the fact that they can all take Combi-Weapons. Dont make them a Shield unit that wants to see Combat vs other termies ASAP because you're not likely to see it if you deepstrike in and have to wait a turn twiddling your thumbs. If you want them to be a Fighty unit, again that means an Assault Vehicle and if you want all 10 of them to be in a single unit then that means a Kharybdis or a Spartan. Otherwise you're splitting the unit into 5 man groups and putting them into Dreadclaws or Land Raider Phobos.

For your Contemptor-Mortis I don't know what you want to do with them, honestly. They both have 24" Range and if they're your anti-air, theyre easily avoided. Too, since they're walking and only have 24" range weapons, its not a hard task for their targets to stay out of their range. If you're limited by B@C, then fine, but they're likely to not be all that great in general terms.

These are the main problems I see with what you've got.

Thanks again for the feedback, very much appreciated. I was trying to keep a lot of stuff within the confines of Calth, but understand that it may not create the most effective army over all. So, with that in mind and the advice given so far, let's try a third rendition that hopefully sorts out the failings already shown. 

Sigismund and the Chaplain get divided between the two melee units, both now have Assault vehicles to get them where they need to be. Changed the Lascannons on the second Heavy Support squad as this list already has more Lascannons in it for anti-tank and therefore the Missile Launchers give some anti-air/anti-armour making use of the Tank Hunters from being Imperial Fists. 

Nothing held in reserve, everything on the table at the start. 

•                HQ (350pts)
    • Legion Centurion 

Artificer Armour, Plasma Pistol, Refractor Field

• May be upgraded to one of these Consul roles: 

Chaplain 

• Sigismund 
  • Troops (1000pts)
    • Legion Tactical Squad 

14x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla

Artificer Armour

• Legion Tactical Squad 

14x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla

Artificer Armour

• Templar Brethren

8x Combat Shield, Legion Vexilla, Melta Bombs, 8x Templar Brethren

• Chapter Champion

• Legion Land Raider Phobos

Armoured Ceramite

• Elites (860pts)
      • Legion Apothecary

• Legion Apothecary 

Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, 2x Chainfist, Heavy Flamer, Legion Spartan Assault Tank, 8x Legion Terminators , 6x Power Fist, 7x Vigil Pattern Storm Shield

Vigil Pattern Storm Shield

• Heavy Support (375pts)

Flak Missiles, 4x Legion Space Marines, Missile Launchers

• Legion Sergeant 

4x Legion Space Marines 

• Legion Sergeant

• Legion