"New" veteran tactics

helterskelter

I play Chosen Duty with Autillon Skorr of the Alpha Legion and i run 3 squads in rhino's.

I run them like this:

8 marines and a sergeant

-1 plasma gun

-4 combi plas

-3 bolters

-Sgt with PF and Dagger with AA

-Rhino with MM and dozer

I also add an Apothecary to each unit.

I drop a bolter dude so Skorr can roll with a squad.

They are expensive but with the AL rules I can manage to give them lot's of combo's with the special rules and they work a treat.

I want to do something similar to that, as they get 2 special rules and skorr can give the army other bonuses. It would sound fun to play.

I want to do something similar to that, as they get 2 special rules and skorr can give the army other bonuses. It would sound fun to play.

I really like running Vets as Sons of Horus (thanks to Maloghurst) in Outflanking Rhinos with 2 flamers, Power fist w/Artificer Armour for the Sergeant and Multi-Melta for the Rhino. About 260ish points and very effective I find particularly with their Death Dealer rules.....

I really like running Vets as Sons of Horus (thanks to Maloghurst) in Outflanking Rhinos with 2 flamers, Power fist w/Artificer Armour for the Sergeant and Multi-Melta for the Rhino. About 260ish points and very effective I find particularly with their Death Dealer rules.....

Why flamers and not combi plas spam? Lol

Why flamers and not combi plas spam? Lol

Because you are Outflanking you have the ability to deploy basically right next to the target, and flamers can cover potentially up to 6 people each with the sniper rule....which means 2 of them can inflict 12 sniper hits on the enemy before you fire Boltguns. Plus no risk of getting hot and killing 3 terminators on the charge with Overwatch is funny as hell

This whole game is one of chance amd choices. If you're able to put an objective on each side then you can plan to outflank the vets. Even if its not as close to the edge as possible. Plus Hammer and Anvil exists. You dont have to outflank, its just an option that carries risk you can wiegh against the current situation.

It's dependant on how you use them I find - I find if I push stuff up the centre of the board that people want to avoid (Like a talon of Cortus Dreads) then people will try to flank them and fall into the trap of being close to a board edge. The other option is Missile Launchers....sniper frag rounds from 24" away even if moving is pretty good, you pay a premium but you get so much versatility it's painful

The other option is Missile Launchers....sniper frag rounds from 24" away even if moving is pretty good, you pay a premium but you get so much versatility it's painful

I have 2 units of Veterans with missile launchers for my Alpha Legion. I tend to use them in ZM more than anything, where they really shine! Frag missiles with Sniper & Shred, or Krak missiles with Tank Hunters & Sniper? Oh yeah!

I USE VETERANS TO KILL VETERANS OORAH!

:P

But seriously, Athrawes popped out some vets from a rhino, mine outflanked with acid heavy bolters and combi stasis launchers and evaporated them. Dark Angel vets are just jerks like that. That's not even counting what they can do in cc against MEQs.

I think they are very underrated and you won't see them a lot compared to tactical Marines or terminators. The best counters are things like Scorpius, mortars with phosphex and Medusas.

Yeah man, I'm with Withershadow. Vets are by and far the best troops choice if you can unlock them.

I think they are very underrated and you won't see them a lot compared to tactical Marines or terminators. The best counters are things like Scorpius, mortars with phosphex and Medusas.

Yeah man, I'm with Withershadow. Vets are by and far the best troops choice if you can unlock them.

*Glances romantically at Maloghurst unlocking Vets*

I mildly disagree on that, because it highly depends on what legion you play.

World Eaters don't need Veterans for instance. Iron Warriors who rock The Ironfire neither. Like always it is all about the legion.

Iron Warriors running Ironfire would LOVE to be able to take veteran squads instead of tactical squads, they just don't have the option, and after the compulsory troops all the points go towards artillery first.

You're probably right about the WE, but if you follow the World Eaters tactica thread, it seems the Inductii fever is wearing off as they realize their armies have no scoring units, and melee is not as reliable for wiping the enemy out.  You could literally get one VP and then just run from melee and win by default.  Plus if they are running anything other than cookie-cutter berserker assault, they would prefer veterans to regular tacticals.

Veterans > Terminators > Assault Marines ~ Tactical Marines > Breachers

Iron Warriors running Ironfire would LOVE to be able to take veteran squads instead of tactical squads, they just don't have the option, and after the compulsory troops all the points go towards artillery first.

You're probably right about the WE, but if you follow the World Eaters tactica thread, it seems the Inductii fever is wearing off as they realize their armies have no scoring units, and melee is not as reliable for wiping the enemy out.  You could literally get one VP and then just run from melee and win by default.  Plus if they are running anything other than cookie-cutter berserker assault, they would prefer veterans to regular tacticals.

Veterans > Terminators > Assault Marines ~ Tactical Marines > Breachers

Yeah right, but no. ;)

I've played The Ironfire couple of times now and no, you don't need Veterans. You just need bodies near the Ironfire dods and lots of artillery.

Like Kreator says:

"Ya put your faith in christianity /

I'll put mine in artillery" :D

Tacticals in Dreadclaws do just fine. The secret of winning with that RoW is the correct use of your big guns and placing your units into the right spot. It doesn’t matter what kind of unit. Speed of those units is key. They just have to be there. And Legion Tactical Squads do just fine. But....

I do use a Legion Veteran Squad in that RoW. One.

But Tacticals do they dirty work of standing besides my targets. ;)

World Eaters Inductii.

Yeah, I never quite understood why you should always take just Inductii. Although they are fun they can't score and unless you utterly crush your opponent you will loose in most missions. I don't like those one trick pony lists.

They why I use one squad of Veterans in my Ironfire list by the way.

Plan B and all that.

So, no army of Weaters without scoring Legion Tactical Squads. But they are effective as hell even without Surlak and I don't get why I should use Veterans as Troop choices. As special forces- yes, of course.

But for holding objectives we have our grunts. They can shoot and if your enemy comes to close they charge and kill and MAIM AND BURN!!!!1!1!111eleveneleven :)

I don't say that Veterans aren't superb choices, but they are not always the best answer to the question: who ya gonna call?

Archived