No doubt it is easy to find books on the Raven Guard, certain characters, and even Successor Chapters.  Yet, maybe we could compile a list to assist users of the B&C.

Please keep in mind, any discussion of the contents for the work that could "spoil" it for others should use the Hidden codes.

To start:

Sons of Corax

This is a gathering of short stories and a novella.  As of this post, I have read Prey and By Artifice Alone from within the cover and will say more about it when I'm finished, unless someone has thoughts to share?

Don't read Kauyon and Mont'ka from Warzone: Damocles unless

you want to see the Raven Guard get outsmarted at every turn. That said, they at least used their brains so there's merit in outsmarting them, as opposed to the White Scars who showed as much tactical acumen as the World Eaters...

Don't read Deliverance Lost either unless

you didn't like the Index Astartes' original story about Corax's genetic experiments to build his legion back up.

With Baited Breath by George Mann is an excellent short story that features a Guardsman and the arrival of the Raven Guard on a battle ravaged planet. It showcases the bonds between two very different warriors in service to the Emperor. The engagement in the story is short but it is a beautifully perfect example of Raven Guard tactics. It features Captain Koryn. It is my favorite Raven Guard short story.

Hunt for Voldorius is officially a White Scar novel but has significant Raven Guard presence.

I've just read Damcoles too. Again White Scars are the stars but Raven Guard appear in two of the four stories.

3 actually. The story from the Tau perspective has them in it as well.

I see Hunt for Voldorius as almost a split novel. After the Raven Guard appear quite a bit of the rest of the book focuses on them.

Hunt for Voldorius is officially a White Scar novel but has significant Raven Guard presence.

I've just read Damcoles too. Again White Scars are the stars but Raven Guard appear in two of the four stories.

3 actually. The story from the Tau perspective has them in it as well.

I see Hunt for Voldorius as almost a split novel. After the Raven Guard appear quite a bit of the rest of the book focuses on them.

Yup, that's the second story and they're also in the first. The third is Ultramarines and Jade Dragons and the last is just White Scars, so 2.

Helion Rain

Captain Koryn leads an army of Raven Guard against the Tyranids.  yet the story focuses on Veteran Scout Sergeant Grayvus on a mission that could stop the Tyranids on the planet.

Chaplaim Cordae from Prey makes an appearance as well.

Nah.  I never thought I would "read" Helion Rain until SoC came out, it's all good. ^_^

I did read With Baited Breath last night and it was quite a fast read.  Not because of length, but rather because it was just fun to read :tu:  If Koryn's behavior toward the Guardsman is indicative of the whole Chapter, then there is more "humanity" than I attribute to the Space Marines as a whole, and specifically to the Raven Guard.

George Mann is indeed the man for the Chapter.

Nah. I never thought I would "read" Helion Rain until SoC came out, it's all good. happy.png

I did read With Baited Breath last night and it was quite a fast read. Not because of length, but rather because it was just fun to read thumbsup.gif If Koryn's behavior toward the Guardsman is indicative of the whole Chapter, then there is more "humanity" than I attribute to the Space Marines as a whole, and specifically to the Raven Guard.

George Mann is indeed the man for the Chapter.

As far as humanity goes, the Raven Guard are second only to the Salamanders.

You need look no farther than Shrike's history to see that. He deliberately kept his forces away from battles where the Imperium already had it under control, focusing instead on worlds where the civilians had been basically abandoned.

After reading the HH concerning RG in full, my advice would be prepare to be disappointed. You can find my opinions over in the Book 40: Corax thread. Gav Thorpe butchers the RG from start to finish.

George Mann is actually a lot better. Gav completely misses the fact that we read these books because we want to be proud of our legion/chapter and see them do good things, not just be punching bags for a larger story. George does a great job of capturing the humanity found within the chapter without going overboard.

Old Scars - Captain Daed of the Brazen Minotaurs goes after the Orks.

The Brazen Minotaurs are mentioned in By Artifice Alone . There is another connecting thread and there may be others, but I am slowly chewing through Sons of Corax and have found them yet.

So far, I get the impression the order the stories in SoC are out of order. Anyone have that impression?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The Unkindness of Ravens - A follow-up to Labyrinth of Sorrow, the Raven Guard and Brazen Minotaurs agree upon a mission of paramount importance and both will pay a high price even if they succeed.  So they will pay the price, but cannot count the cost because failure is not an option.  The fight to save a star system is in their hands.

Archived