[HH1.0] Legio Custodes Tactica

Charlo

Nope, and it pains me to a great degree. Now I'm starting to lean towards the bike weaponry being intended to be priced per model and not per squad, even though it goes against RAW. Odds are that's how it'll be ruled eventually.

Assuming you pay per model, how do you reckon the Adrathic Devestator and Corvae Las-pulser stack up vs each other? I'm having a hard time not going for the pulser due to the increased range and no gets hot, however is it worth 120 points more per squad of 6?

The higher strength is a wash, S6 armourbane is actually better versus AV14/15 than flat S9. But the other things you point out are very true indeed.

Alright, so expecting individual costs my desired core (for my 3500pts list) of 3 Caladius and 3x6 Agamatus with pulsers cost a whopping 2475 points, sigh. I could either run Valdor and 4x3 Custodian Guard to deepstrike with, or 2x3 Custodian Guard in Coronus transports and use a Tankibune to give the bikes infiltrate for optimum positioning.

That, or I could go the sisters route for more plentiful scoring. Or should I scale back on the shooty elements?

Edited by TompiQ

^ There still are plenty of questions although on paper each Custodes (or Custards, as my autocomplete tries to add) units is quite powerful but when you start to build a list you'll noticed that due the increased cost your deployment zone won't look like Ullanor triumph field.

Nope, and it pains me to a great degree. Now I'm starting to lean towards the bike weaponry being intended to be priced per model and not per squad, even though it goes against RAW. Odds are that's how it'll be ruled eventually.

Assuming you pay per model, how do you reckon the Adrathic Devestator and Corvae Las-pulser stack up vs each other? I'm having a hard time not going for the pulser due to the increased range and no gets hot, however is it worth 120 points more per squad of 6?

That is massive proofing mistake on their part.  I do not know if I have ever seen one that bad.  There several words missing and the fact that it is written so differently then the rest of the entry it is almost impossible to believe the proofing was that poor.  Yes I know it is FW and editing has been an issue but that is a major miss.

If it goes to each model then I would expect the rule would be written that you do not have to upgrade the whole squadron at one time or even with the same weapon option. 

On a side note.  If they do not put the damn models up for sale it really isn't a problem is it...ha

@Jarkaira , yes , custodes are more expensive, but you get much more for that cost. add 25pts more for dreadnought comapred to contemptor, for 25pts you get +1 ws,+1I, counter attack. add for 40pts d3 lascanon, that add also +1 attack?, and are strenght D very possibly on charge. Yea, ability to very probably kill space marine dreadnought before it even swings at you is not really worth that 25pts extra...

lets compare bikes, for 85pts more than sm melta ones(which most dangerous stuff 'ignores' because of ceramite), you get +1 across the stats, 5++, instead of 3 meltas at bs4, you get around 6 lascannons on bs5,split fire, also lances to kill suport squads, everyone is charachter to witch allows you to have multiple guys take wounds etc.

For 100pts more than praetor you get HQ that can tank or kill primarchs, not to mention basically kill out right almost any legion hq short of sigi,primarch...

155pts gets you armored ceramite hp4, 13/12/11 flare shield, transport, that can kill tanks thanks to 8 - 1 exoshock, can jink and avoid 50% of fire, has machine spirit, 3 shot 6- 3 gun to kill marines...

Tanks are also not bad at all.

Ofcourse, you can also take just bunch of custodes and slogg them across the field, and get to conclusion that custodes are meh at best. But also you can take their prime units and just mop the floor with legion very probably.

Yes, you will get fever stuff than legion on field, but most of oyur stuff is immune to a lot of legion stuff, kills them better in shooting and better in cc.

You might look at thudd guns on legion as something OP, custodes laughs at them. Not only do they get 2+ save, they have 3'' coherency so each blast will hit, what 1 guy,lol, They also need 6 to glance your tanks/transport, after which you can just jink. 12 shatter shells will chip of 1 hp of custodes transport/tank, gj, you just need 12 to kill 155pts transport,lol

That is massive proofing mistake on their part.  I do not know if I have ever seen one that bad.  There several words missing and the fact that it is written so differently then the rest of the entry it is almost impossible to believe the proofing was that poor.  Yes I know it is FW and editing has been an issue but that is a major miss.

If it goes to each model then I would expect the rule would be written that you do not have to upgrade the whole squadron at one time or even with the same weapon option. 

On a side note.  If they do not put the damn models up for sale it really isn't a problem is it...ha

It's massive, but if you just add "Any Agamatus Jetbike Squadron" and replace upgrade with exchange the option entry looks exactly like those for say optional spears in a custodian guard squad. I have a hunch this is what the writer was going for, however as with other parts of the army list it clearly suffers from terrible proofing. The main giveaway is that Cannon, Devestator and Las-pulser are all in singular, which implies that the intention was for it to refer to a single model.

RAW still refers to the squadron so that's what goes for now, I just don't expect it to last when/if we get an FAQ. 

For the 1250 Adepticon escalation event I am debating about taking this list.  Since the bikes are not out and realistically will not be available in time.

Shield captain  - 240 (kit minus the tribune upgrade)

2x3 Custodes squads 330

2 Coronus = 270

2 Caladius = 390

There is some room for Area Shrikes etc and possibly upgrading one Caladius to the heavy blaze cannon.  Not sure exactly what upgrades I would take.  I can expand to 1750-2250 pretty easily by upgrading to Valdor and taking more squads and leveraging deep strike.  I would also add the Achillus dread in the 1750 range and take a Lancer at the 2250-2500 point range.

I actually kind of like this as a core.

Edited by nightwrench

For the 1250 Adepticon escalation event I am debating about taking this list. Since the bikes are not out and realistically will not be available in time.

Tankibune - 240

2x3 Custodes squads 330

2 Coronus = 270

2 Caladius = 390

There is some room for Area Shrikes etc and possibly upgrading one Caladius to the heavy blaze cannon. Not sure exactly what upgrades I would take. I can expand to 1750-2250 pretty easily by upgrading to Valdor and taking more squads and leveraging deep strike. I would also add the Achillus dread in the 1750 range and take a Lancer at the 2250-2500 point range.

I actually kind of like this as a core.

Can't take Tribune below 2k.

I actually didn't take the upgrade for tribune. I get use to writing him that way. That is a standard shield captain without the tribune upgrade.

Your captain should be 250 though.

Digi lasers, cyber familiar, praesidum shield, paragon spear.

I'm not sure how I feel about him as a non Tribune sure he's tanky but he can still be instant deathed though I guess at 1250 the hope is on very little to no s10.

I actually didn't take the upgrade for tribune. I get use to writing him that way. That is a standard shield captain without the tribune upgrade.

Your captain should be 250 though.

Digi lasers, cyber familiar, praesidum shield, paragon spear.

I'm not sure how I feel about him as a non Tribune sure he's tanky but he can still be instant deathed though I guess at 1250 the hope is on very little to no s10.

Contemptors are pretty common low points where I am.

I'm still trying to decide if the Coronus is worth it.

It seems a lot for something that is basically a fire magnet. If it were AV14 all round like a Spartan or even the same as it is now but an assault vehicle I'd be a whole lot more tempted but as it is I could pay for the deep strike upgrade and invest the points in jet bikes or a Pallas.

What are your guy thoughts?

Cheers

Vogon

It seems a lot for something that is basically a fire magnet. If it were AV14 all round like a Spartan or even the same as it is now but an assault vehicle I'd be a whole lot more tempted but as it is I could pay for the deep strike upgrade and invest the points in jet bikes or a Pallas.

Cheers

Vogon

Its a razorback with two amazing guns. I am going to be sticking my sagittarum in it. It's just so good because it's fast it gets them exactly where I want turn 1 and even if it blows up I don't care because then I have gotten my neigh unbudgable murder gunned boys where I want them. Stick in your hq or Valdor with them and dare anyone to assault them.

That's my plan anyways.

The guns are decent but I wouldn't call them amazing for 135 points. The Coronus main drawback is that it syncs horribly with custodes units, due to not being an assault vehicle. There's no tangible benefit in choosing one over teleporting the squad in, since you have to spend a turn in the open anyhow.

Cheers

Vogon

I've got 2 of them, i'll be running both in a 3k game next week. My plan is to use them alongside my one Cadillus to draw fire and punish infantry squads. Every anti tank shot that goes into them isn't going into a Custodian.

They'll also be used to ferry 2 6 man squads up the board, which should give me 3 nice assault waves, the first is the Tribune and his Infiltrating squads, then the transported Guard Squads, then the last two 6 and 3 man Sentinel Squads.

The guns are decent but I wouldn't call them amazing for 135 points. The Coronus main drawback is that it syncs horribly with custodes units, due to not being an assault vehicle. There's no tangible benefit in choosing one over teleporting the squad in, since you have to spend a turn in the open anyhow.

ok..even if you don't like the guns its a transport that houses 6 custodes and is a rock on the table from the front and will really help anchor the table for deepstrike heavy armies. Idk I have come to love it. 

So anyone brainstorming LoW choices for the Custodes?

As with any army they can bring from "the list" of Forgeworld models and plastic Baneblade variants, but wondering if it's worth it or needed?

I can only really see a Stormlord being quite useful to keep a good squad of bananas safe for a turn or two. Ally in some repair servitors to keep it happy maybe?

I think a Knight would be more useful as a LoW but with how elite and low model count they are, I'm not sure that them bringing a LoW selecting in under 3.5k-4k games is all that worth it.

I mean, if you need to kill a Knight, then having some Spear Dreads in a position to charge them might very well just kill said knight before it can swing provided RNGesus is kind and you roll at least one 6 for a D hit (I'm reading it as every 6 to hit on the charge is D instead of a single 6 making ALL hits D. Something about a Custodes Dread potentially instagibbing a Reaver on the charge, provided youre lucky enough, doesnt sit well with me).

Custodes also has some VERY potent anti armour shooting.

Edited by Slipstreams

Aye, knights bring some "cheap" LoW options for sure.

I was drawn to the Stormlord for it's transport capacity/ assault vehicle status... But lots of eggs in one basket etc.

I suppose a Stormeagle or two could be serviceable too?

Edited by Charlo

Thought you can't bring 4 HP+ flyers in a Orbital Strike Wing?

BUT WAIT IT LETS YOU BRING UP TO 3 DREADCLAWS AS A SINGLE LoW SLOT! :O if thats a possibility that is. 

Now THAT might be something worth considering.

Thought you can't bring 4 HP+ flyers in a Orbital Strike Wing?

BUT WAIT IT LETS YOU BRING UP TO 3 DREADCLAWS AS A SINGLE LoW SLOT! :ohmy.: if thats a possibility that is. 

Now THAT might be something worth considering.

I thought the Sub-Orbital Strike Wing had a corresponding list in the latest red books so you that you can only choose from Lighntings and Avengers now?