Applications for Legio XVIII

simison

I've updated the front page with Rip's new legion concept. No nukes to be worried about, but I have one question. Why are they the 'Sentinels of the Emperor' if they haven't done anything to show exemplary loyalty to the Emperor (which is how the Emperor's Children were allowed to wear his name).

I felt we were lacking a legion name with the emperor's name in it. 

Alternatively they could be Sentinels of the Imperium. I was just thinking that due to their tactics of far reaching scouts that their ships might be the farthest from Terra and that they would be the Emperor's sentinals on the edge of mankind. 

Here is another legion idea 

Brazen Stars

The space marines, which travel from star to star, were viewed as gods when they arrived at jafet, and so when Artarious took command of his gods, he named them for what they were, stars.

Origin: Jafet

An agriculture ruled by feudal monarchies before the Emperor arrived. Wars were fought to reduce high population of the lower class while the actual deciding factor was duels between ruling lords or their champions. Merchants were viewed as a valuable resource and held no allegiance as long as they traded fairly between all nations. Religion was based on a worship of deities embodied in constellations.

Primarch: Artarious Loreto III

Arriving as a falling comet from the sky, people viewed a “god” falling from the sky to be both an omen of good and bad. A local ruler ventured out from his keep to investigate and meet this god himself. Upon stumbling across a boy sitting in the crater he promptly slew all those peasants that had witnessed the event, secreting the child to his castle. Declaring that this child was in fact his, a birth from his wife.

Under the tutelage of the best warriors and scholars his money could buy, Artarious grew tall and strong and began to beat even the master warriors. Sitting in on his father’s council meetings he learned of the politics of the world and soon he rode to war, learned to direct his fathers warriors on the field of battle so as to allow easy access to the enemies champion and a quick victory. In a short time Jafet was united by Artarious and his father.

Yet not for long, for the Emperor soon came to shed his light upon the planet, and as a god he arrived to reveal himself as not only was he not a god, but he was the true father of Artarious. Realizing that he had been a fool to think he could have been fathered by someone so weak and that the stars could be gods he set to re-aligning his planet before joining his father in the stars to learn of his rightful place.

Having been raised on the premise of a class system, he is still very much rooted in that. All humanity is below his space marines, and all space marines are below him. Such is the natural order of things.

He fights with three weapons, a common blade for slaying common foes, a gun for killing those who are unworthy of drawing a blade and a blade for duling one who is an equal.

Warfare: Seeing the human Imperial army as easily replaceable, the Brazen Stars lead from inside a wall of disposable humans. The Imperial Army pushes aside any opposition which is unfit of an astartes attention so that the marines can meet an equal in melee.

Tactics: Imperial Army assaults with elite legion support

Role: Their obvious indifference to human life fits well with heresy. While the insurrection allows them to be pitted against a foe which truly might test their martial ability, another marine.

Uniqueness: We have a legion that trains Imperial Army, but to be fully integrated?

Legionnaires:  Many of the legionaries share the view that the Imperial Army soldiers are disposable but treat them with various different levels of respect. Many command by what they view as their given right, but others try and inspire their humans to do greater deeds not necessarily for the humans benefit but so the marine can be prepared for the even harder opponent.

Many of the marines will not even draw a ranged weapon until they are ready to charge a worthy opponent.

They respect all the legions that have proven campaign records but only respect other legion’s commanders who they have witnessed perform martial feats of prowess.

Advancement in the ranks of the Brazen Stars is through both the purity of gene-seed but also in a combination of combat and training prowess. One can only advance so far without a worthy kill in battle.

This is one of the legions which actually support the creation of the lords of terra. Why should they be bothered with the ruling of the planets, they are in charge of conquering the stars and ruling the galaxy.

Interaction with others: I am sure their treatment of the Imperial Army will put them on edge with some of the legions.

Yet they are quite respectful to primarchs, and when they capture a planet they establish a very ordered government in their wake.

Possible Fall to Chaos:

Khorne is an easy possibility with their martial prowess. Slaanesh could be a possibility if they take out their desires on those lesser than them.

Quote: “Yesterday we bowed to kings and the stars, today we only bow to the imperial truth; that the emperor is the ultimate power and we, his sons”

About to head out for my local 40k night. Before I leave I'll leave another question. It is the rare legion to have a completely stable gene-seed. Some legions have to do without some of the space marine organs, others suffer from kinds of mental afflictions, and so on. What flaw, if any, afflicts your legion's gene-seed?

Overworking catalepsean node, allows them to be awake more time than a space marine normally can but it deteriorates their mental capacity if abused. Increasead paranoia has been noticed on some veterans of the chapter.

There are rumours of a psychotic Dreadnaught among the ranks.

Edited by Sete

Right from 30k period? I need to revise my cannon history, I thought most legions lost organs later on ^_^

Instinctively I'd say betchers gland because I think it's useless, but I'll have a roll in ffg deathwatch and see how they adapt to a random one

Sentinals

-(If Destir's tectonic action is due to tzeench) then there will be all sorts of hardly noticeable mutations such as one hand being larger than the other, patches of molted skin, anomalies in organs, but most importantly a large portion of the legion's eyes change colors. 

-(if not) Hightened ocular vision but a weakened Sus-an membrane. They have heightened perception but their ability to "hibernate or deep sleep " is weakened  

Brazen 

-Betcher Gland is weakened so they wont be able to spit poison 

- higher rates of facial hair

Would u say having a landspeeder illuminator is specializing in landspeeders? Cuz the warden habe a special landspeeder based onthe landspeeder Vengeance. Only lascannons instead of plasmabattery. Landspeeders are great to get behind enemies line and attscl from behind while the heavy support attsck from the front and the close combats block the enemy u its from advancing to the heavy weapon teams.

Oh um wow. Didn't think I'd actually be answered.

Well thanks everyone.

With that out of the way, I'll be using Thorn's as a template.

Legion Name: Lost Cartographers
Cognomen (pre-Primarch): Emperor's Zephyrs
Primarch: Xizz Malak (Phonecian for Powerful Reign)
Observed Strategic Tendencies: Unrelenting pincer assault, supported by bombardments and airborne reinforcements.
Allegiance: Non Perduxit: (They eventually are excommunicated to the outer galaxy, never to be seen again.)
Colours: Pre-excommunication purple with an orange trim, post-excommunication black with a yellow trim. Their heraldry is 4 pointed star set over a circle.
Culture: Very similar to nomads in Saudia Arabia, a mixture of the many Battalions (the chapter equivalent) unique cultures due to the vast number of recruiting worlds both past and present. 

A Bit of History
The Lost Cartographers prior to meeting their primarch were somewhat shunned by the other legions, not by any particular fault of their own but because their ways simply seemed so ancient. Indeed, some of the more dynamic legion would even call them traditionalists, adhering to the same form of warfare throughout the years. In the year [insert proper date here] the planet Ṫabaḣ was discovered. It was found that the primarch Xizz had united the planet’s nomadic tribes into a large city, where the people turned to agriculture in an attempt to support life on its barren surface. Xizz would not follow the Emperor at first, stating his duty was to his people and not to an unknown father from an unknown world. When the Emperor asked if he would come with him if Ṫabaḣ was made fertile, XIzz haughtily said yes, convinced that such a thing would be impossible. With the Emperor’s command, the Mechanicum brought mighty terraforming relics to Ṫabaḣ, and turned the once barren planet to a world covered 6/7s by water, and the 1/7 of the world that was land was lush and unspoiled.
Honor-bound, Xizz would return with the Emperor to Terra, and be given command of the XVIII legion.

Ṫabaḣ
Ṫabaḣ was a Death World, the second closest world from the sun. This resulted in most of the world covered in a vast desert known as the Sands of the Souls. The north and south poles were vast oceans, the polar ice having melted long ago. Ṫabaḣ was not always like this, but a collision with a large planetoid had nearly knocked the planet out of orbit, and had also devastated almost all humans originally on the planet. Only those who had remained underground survived the collision, and were left with a desert world as their inheritance.

Xizz
Xizz’s pod landed near the equator, an area inhospitable for even the hardy animals left by the collision. As it was, his Primarch physiology only barely kept him alive long enough for him to crawl his way to a cavern, where he was kept safe until he recuperated enough to get to a more hospitable area, meeting the people of the Ṡiddiq tribe who raised him. When he was 12, he met the first non-Ṡiddiq tribe - the Abed. The two tribes went to war over rights to an underground well, and the young Primarch almost single handedly defeated most of the tribe’s warriors. Realizing he had a greater purpose, Xizz lead the young warriors of his tribe on a crusade to unite the nomads and attempt to bring prosperity to their barren world.

Hopefully this isn’t too similar to any other Primarchs.

The Legion

Even before Xizz took command, the Lost Cartographers were shunned by the other legions. Remarked by the others to be stubborn to the point of foolishness, once an objective was decided upon the legion would not stop until the objective was achieved or the forces completely destroyed. Prior to Xizz's arrival, the legion used precision strike assaults to open a breach in the enemy defenses's followed by a massive amount of force applied to the breach, in a ritual known as the Opening of the Seal. With Xizz's arrival this was taken to the extreme, with the precision strike sometimes being achieved through orbital bombardment and entire Battalions being committed to a single breach. Their tactics have led them into a friendly rivalry with Iron Bears over who can break a fortress first, as well as sometimes provoking the choler of the Halcyon Wardens and Scions Hospitaller, for fear of their collateral damage.

The Crusade

The Lost Cartographers are a pessimistic sort, believing that the Crusade will never truly end because there will always be that one last bastion, the final stronghold left to break. If war could truly ever come to an end then the Insurrection never would have happened. 

Edited by Cryptix

The Brazen Bulls only known deviancy is that the Betcher's Gland is malfunctioning; whilst still able to produce poison, it's often dangerous for the Space Marine themselves. To counteract this, the Bulls are known to ingest small dosages of poison, which overtime renders them immune. It's not different from mithridaticum, but more amped up.

if I may...

CRUSADE ARMY LIST APPENDIX: THE LOST CARTOGRAPHERS
LEGIONES ASTARTES (LOST CARTOGRAPHERS)
All models and units with this special rule are subject to the following provisions:
Legiones Astartes: All units with this special rule may always attempt to regroup regardless of casualties.
Unstoppable Force: All units with this special rule gain +1 to wound on the charge (IE, a 3+ to wound would become a 2+ to wound). However, a unit with this rule may never opt to use "Our Weapons Are Useless" and may never Go to Ground.

Any Praetor with the Legiones Astartes (Lost Cartographers) rule may be upgraded to a Master of the Spearhead for +25 points. If they do so, they gain the Crusader special rule and confer it to all units with 12" of them as well as gaining a Orbital Bombardment (see Master of Signals).

Rite of War - The Opening of the Seal

Effects

- All characters with the Legiones Astartes (Lost Cartographers) rule gains Melta Bombs for free.

- All weapons S6 or greater gains the Sunder special rule.

- All other effects are as of Orbital Assault

Limitations

- May not include any tanks that do not have the skimmer or flyer type

- Must include a Master of the Spearhead praetor

- All other limitations are as of Orbital Assault

Rest of post reserved for further rules.

Edited by Cryptix

Most of the biological deviancy for The Devoured happens post-awakening of the "True" Cain.

So the base stock Terran Primal Hunters Legion were a fairly pure-gene seed stock. They're just incredibly well trained within the parameters of their purpose. All trained warriors and what not, just more geared towards subterfuge, assassinations and such, while growing into a traditional warrior culture that they slowly developed naturally. 

Cain just built upon the basics and tuned his Legion more to be efficient. Awareness in high hostility environments, survival in stranded situations, tactics and tips when faced with certain scenarios....mostly things he taught himself in his own isolation while within his home planet. The innate cultural identity of the Primal Hunters naturally grew accustomed around Cain's way of leading his sons. A natural fit for their Primarch.

After Cain succumbs to the parasite (among other things like establishment of a unique Apothecarion unit and the secret assembly of the Growth Vat System), the purity of their genes became a great accelerator to their falling under the new Hive Lord's mental assimilation. As their shared genetic material is almost an 80%+ match across the board (with no deformities/mutation to have any altered effects), this helped fully integrate the mental prowess of Cain to every one of his sons. 

(This means the pre-fall Devoured are basic boys, but flips a total 180 when the fun starts!)

Edited by ckpmax1108

So, I chose number 7, then at what organ the Star Lords were supposed to not have: the Preomnor.

As such, Star Lords can be vulnerable to poisons or such - because of this, they generally don't spend too long from supply routes, in order to avoid having to eat potentially poisonous foods on the march. It also means they get drunk on Nerith very fast, giving rise to potential comedic situations :devil:

The Cartographers have a malfunctioning Sus-an membrane, which makes it so there is a small chance (6%) that if they go into suspended animation they cannot wake up, doomed to a life being able to perceive the outside world but not interact with it. This can be circumvented using specially designed terminator armor that jacks directly into the user's nervous system, as well as simply a dreadnought.

Rip, you may create as many legion concepts as you wish, but you can only submit one to be voted upon...which starts tomorrow night, from my perspective. This week feels like its going quickly.

Right from 30k period? I need to revise my cannon history, I thought most legions lost organs later on http://image.bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_emoticons/default/happy.png

Instinctively I'd say betchers gland because I think it's useless, but I'll have a roll in ffg deathwatch and see how they adapt to a random one

Earlier, we took a look at it, and it seems some organs weren't working from the start. Granted, there was deterioration between 30k and 40k, so some legions lost another organ or two.

One more note, the nuke system can be utilized by anyone. I've tried to be thorough, but if any current member sees something wrong with one of the concepts, feel free to say something.

Today's question is about brotherhood. Instead of the space marines, we're going to talk about the Primarchs themselves. Although the Emperor had intended to create 20 generals who could fight as one, Malcador may have been onto something when he recommended sisters. Which Primarchs does your Primarch get along with? Who doesn't he get along with?

Since most of you are new to the project, feel free to ask questions and current members will do our best to answer them. 

To start things off, I'll give you a quick glimpse of Alexandros. He is the Warmaster and Primarch of the Vth Legion. He is a psyker who typically limits his abilities to only Divination and Telepathy. Although he's skilled with the spear and the shield, he has won greater acclaim by being the Imperium's greatest diplomat, accomplishing Compliance over dozens of systems through his words alone. Since becoming Warmaster, he's divided his time between being the military commander of the Great Crusade and being a politician in ensuring the smooth workings of the Imperium. He is also the one most concerned with family, going out of his way to interact with each of his brothers and building bonds of brotherhood between everyone.

EDIT: Friendly and often wearing a grin, he's one of the most optimistic Primarchs, until the Insurrection. He also has a habit of working in campaigns with another Primarch and giving them the honor and glory from victory.

Edited by simison

Small update concerning our Tech Legion.

A rough draft is finished. Just waiting for final feedback from Sangi. After that, it will be posted here as well. :)

My primarch is a loner. He despises his psykers "brothers" and the Phariah ones. Abominations every single one of them. Ofc he does not let this through, and works with other primarchs in campaigns, but often sends a trusted, if he can trust anyone, high ranking space marine to speak with his authority when in campaign with other legion.

Maybe he could get along with a normal primarch, one that does not like the spotlight, and shares a common interested in ancient knowledge.

He would hate Alexandros for sure.

His description of him would be, someone that covers himself in fake modesty, just so he could be more highly praised.

If I had descriptions for all of them I can easily describe my primarch view towards them.

Edited by Sete

So after I posted regarding the Devoured's gene-seed purity, Thorn said he rolled on a table. Did the same and got a 5. Fates have aligned to my cause!

Good idea on providing the gist of each Primarch Sim. Personally interested in Andezo, Raktra, Azus, Pionus, and Morro. Will post Cain's blurb, after someone provides me a summary for the guys above.

Edited by ckpmax1108

Sorrry Kel: Andezo has silly ears and can't see anything, except for his spectral sight which allows him to see the peoples aura (by the way: how would he fight against a pariah?)

Raktra lis the prison boss, lord of all the gangs and most happy, if he can grind somebody to death.

Azus ist a Ninja, nobody knows Azus really only thing known about him except the Ninjathing: I AM AZUS!!!!

Pionius likes Water and he likes Morro, others can give a more depth review of his characters. but he likes apothecaries and i think humans.

Morro is so complex and deep, that none of us can really grip him. he has a larvae in his arm after Gwalchavad cut the arm off (he tried to  kill russ and couldn#t be restrained) and the wound thx to the Hrudcrystal in Grandfather (Gwals weapon) caused the wound to age. The regenerating powers and the powers to age him are in a constant battle, but thx to his mate Rakarth and some chaos shennanigans he is able to improve himself. He likes Ploys and he hates wolves, but likes water, so he is bff with pionius, well...until the day of revelation, then the bff thing is kinda over.