Applications for Legio XVIII

simison

Good try, but I specifically said 'space marines'. Granted, since your marines are not part of the Hive Mind yet, feel free to take extra time figuring out what they (especially the Terran) are like when they're still human.

Good try, but I specifically said 'space marines'. Granted, since your marines are not part of the Hive Mind yet, feel free to take extra time figuring out what they (especially the Terran) are like when they're still human.

Ah yes, skipped over that part. Will mull over it a bit and come back with something suitable.

Day 3 Recap -

We're down to 7 applications, but only 2 of those are actually ready to be voted upon. They are Sete's Inquisition Marines and Max's The Devoured. I've not seen Blind, Reddragon, or Helter Skelter since the first day, I think. Nate was busy today, and Rip seems to be going through the thread right now. 

And we have two more concepts up for the taking by anyone who wishes: Thorn's Redcoats and San's Deus Ex, cybernetic Marines. 

At the very least, I feel like we have rhythm going now. I'll make sure to ask at least one question a day so we can further iron out our candidates and give them feedback to better fit into BotL.

I'd like to submit the Lost Cartographers as my legion. Basically, a legion of Carthaginian pirates complete with an honor code, power broadswords, and a preference for Volkite. I'll write up something better when I'm not half asleep, so this is a placeholder. They'll eventually go rogue and form a renegade empire.

Furthermore, I'm laying down some ground rules. Since Saturday is my day off, that is when we'll hold the vote. I will start it at midnight my time and end it midnight my time the next day for a complete 24 hours.

Additionally, I'm adding a red flag (or nuke/http://image.bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_emoticons/default/nuke.gif, in this case) system. I will assign one http://image.bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_emoticons/default/nuke.gif for every violation a legion concept has. If there is one http://image.bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_emoticons/default/nuke.gif by voting day, that legion concept will not be voted.

Quick example. Say a legion concept had a blind Pariah Primarch of a Loyalist legion, that is http://image.bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_emoticons/default/nuke.gif (Pariahmarch) http://image.bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_emoticons/default/nuke.gif (Blind Primarch) http://image.bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_emoticons/default/nuke.gif (Loyalist Legion), and all of them need to be addressed.

Likewise, any legion concept that is not 'owned'/adopted by that day, will also not be voted upon.

What time is that in GMT?

Mikhal knows how to post a countdown for all time zones. He helped me during my poll.

I got a question.

As Sim has given me his ok for letting my traitor predators become space pirates and therefore taking the place of the Jackals, I'm now not sure if we would need a whole pirate legion.

I'm not the one to decide this but I wanted to throw in this question.

I've just done two consecutive fourteen-hour shifts, so I'm knackered at the moment. I'll write a more in-depth post on the Brazen Bulls later on, however. http://image.bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png

Edit: The kinship amongst the Brazen Bulls is pretty good; there's a sense of camaraderie amongst the Marines, especially those of Tauromachian origins. Aniketos Maur holds symposiums often - Where his Captains, and others, are invited to discuss topics on an even footing - Be it the latest campaign, the newest orchestral piece from Terra or the composition of a new Expeditionary Fleet. The last few hundred, perhaps thousand, Terrans are all grouped together under the Legion's former Master - Who still holds the title, although it's defunct - The Lord Drusus Black. There's a bit of cold air between the Terrans and the Tauromachians, but it's nowhere near hostility- They just have different ideals. The Terrans know that they're a dying breed, their old traditions are slowly being ebbed out, but have accepted that it's the course of nature. Maur has a tendency of keeping the Terrans close - Not because he mistrusts them, but rather the opposite. They are the most experienced, the hardest hitting, and this he appreciates.

Marines often fight in pairs, called dyas, working in tandem - One the shield, the other the sword. They are warriors first and foremost, so there's rivalries between brothers, between Companies and between Horns, Shaka Kinnaras and Harsha Soter, for example, openly encourage these - Both Assault Horns seek to outdo one another, vie for the Primarch's favour.  

Edited by RedDragon

I've just done two consecutive fourteen-hour shifts, so I'm knackered at the moment. I'll write a more in-depth post on the Brazen Bulls later on, however. :)

Damn...don't forget to live. That is a lot of workload

Damn...don't forget to live. That is a lot of workload 

Hah, it is! 

But no work means no play. I'm lucky to have a job that I enjoy, but because it's government, it means during  those hours my access to the Internet is basically nil.

The individual companies share a close bond of brotherhood, and a healthy rivalry is cultivated among the different companies.

Among the higher echelons, secrets are jealously guarded and things are a bit more tense.

Its aggravated since the primarch took control of the legion, with 3 distinct groups appearing. As previously said loyal to the primarch, loyalits to the Emperor and the ones loyal to their ambition.

So, here are a couple additional ideas/names for my concept, so that it may at least go through to the try-outs:

Legion Name: Star Lords

Cognomen (non-official): Coin Lords, Abaqus Legion

Primarch: Flash Vallant

Observed Strategic Tendencies: Pike & shotte formations, supported by air-cavalry air support

Allegiance: TRAITORIS PERDITA (the way the Legion is shaping up in my head and the following paragraphs, a fall to chaos is becoming increasingly possible, in particularly Tzeentch or Slaanesh, but not necessarily. If prefered, they should still be able to easily form a renegade kingdom, or if necessary be integrated into the Suzerainty, but Chaos through and through seems most likely atm)

Colours: Yellow (heraldic or) and red. Legion emblem: a Bezant with [something?]

Also, I'd like to make a slight modification to what I had said about the Primarch.

History

Although Vallant is in command, he actually cares little for command itself, prefering instead to perform daring deeds for glory. The de facto master of the legion is his childhood friend, Robert Rising, who became a successful (if corrupt) merchant and banker before the arrival of the Emperor and his transformation into a pseudo-astartes: through his experience prior to ascending to the Legions, Rising is a master of Logistics, Administration and Strategy, and he understands that the key to success in the Imperium, even for a Legiones Astartes, is to master the logistics of the crusade, which explains the Legion's creation of tradepost garrisons, that allow them to always be well supplied, and has the added side-benefit of enriching Rising to the extreme.

Vallant, seeing how powerful Rising's tradepost garrisons have made the legion in the Imperium (not necessarily when compared to the other Legions mind you!!!), decides to link this efficacy in trade to the command structure of the Legion, pushing many of the Star Lords to create their own trading companies in order to attain higher ranks. This in effect creates a Plutocracy in the Legion.

This economic weight of a Legion in the Imperium becomes increasingly troubling to the Council of Terra (the Emperor seems not to care), and so they form plans to ban Legiones Astartes from, well, doing exactly what the Star Lords are doing (which you'll agree is entirely reasonable). When they pass the law and Ultimatumate the Star Lords (no idea how that should be said), the Star Lords refuse (obviously), and the Void Eagles - who have a large enough fleet to trully hinder the Star Lord's trade dominance - are sent to qwell them. It is unfortunate then, for them, that the Star Lords had been contacted by Icarion at the beginning of their "legal troubles" and had been recruited to his side - what was supposed to be a reprimand of the Star Lords became a trap aimed at the Void Eagles, on the Day of Revelation. Though it is Walpole Rising that decided to join Icarion, he successfully convinced Vallant that the Emperor was a Tyrant and that he should fight for Icarion to overthrow the dictator, meaning that Vallant is also fully on Icarion's side.

During the Insurrection, the Star Lords hold onto many of their tradeposts; however, thirteen of the Star Lords' cohorts/companies/colonies rebel against their Primarch and Rising's growing power - in-fighting ensues...

By the end of the Insurrection, we have been made to see that Vallant is a boisterous arrogant fool, who's only care is to fight for glory - he is in fact a puppet, dancing on the end of Rising's strings...

Well, obviously, you as readers can guess the denouement of this plot-line: Vallant of course has been the puppet-master this entire time, playing Rising and his entire legion against each other, all in the name of the game. Cue fall to Chaos Gods, in particular Tzeentch.

Additional Info:

The relations between the legionnaires are those of rivalry (since they are being played in order to be more ambitious).

Most Star Lords love Vallant as he is charismatic - however, some despise his method of command (or lack thereof) and hold him in a certain amount of contempt.

The legion as a whole is generally viewed rather poorly by other legions, either for their excessive arrogance, or for their concern with trivial affairs (such as logistics) - however, members of the Legion often form firm friendships with members of other legions, leading to a case of other legions not liking the Star Lords Legion, but liking individual Star Lords.

The Council of Terra see them more as a threat, because they know that the Star Lords could disrupt the entire economy of the Imperium. However, they are often adored by the people, especially of planets where they have tradeposts, because they do their best to set up infrastructures and bring goods from other worlds in the Imperium, leading overall to the planets with tradeposts to have a growing economy.

Designer's note: Flash Vallant is inspired to some degree by Lord Flashheart from Blackadder, though with no sexual inuendo - focussing more on his charisma, arrogance, leaping in to save the day in the nick of time, that kind of stuff. Robert Rising is more inspired by Robert Walpole, an important politician in english history and a bit of a crook it seems - look up the South Sea Bubble on Extra Credits (Extra History) ;)

Also, just a reminder: their "warrior culture" is mostly Modern English (starting around the New Model Army, so 1650 onwards), including Pike&Shotte formations and Redcoats, but also British pilots (they may not be well known outside of england, but they were seen as "heroes" during the world wars by ordinary english people), and tanks to some extent. Include Longbowmen and footknights at will.

I'd like to submit the Lost Cartographers as my legion. Basically, a legion of Carthaginian pirates complete with an honor code, power broadswords, and a preference for Volkite. I'll write up something better when I'm not half asleep, so this is a placeholder. They'll eventually go rogue and form a renegade empire.

As we've learned in the past few days, we have the pirates legion nailed down thanks to the Predators and one of the Void Eagle's fleets.

More importantly, you're applying after I ended the open enrollment process. I will make an exception if you can find 4 patrons, 2 from your fellow applicants and 2 from the regular crew here. 

Blunt, that's GMT-5.

Ohh I like! As the English developed the Mark I as the world's first modern tank I think you should feature Proteus and Spartans as dedicated transports.

Also if we go this way, I think history demands that the Star Lords and Iron Bears must hate each other with a heated rivalry between Daer'dd and Flash.

Well, if he changes his pirate theme so that predators turf is not harmed ( i want barbossa kel), and more the frontier pushing aspect is in the spotlight ( i mean a legion who wants to explore new worlds and quickly overwhelm xenos resistance would be cool. Sich an adventurous feeling) oh well, I got sidetracked. I patronage him.

Cryptix has one crew patron.

Next question, unlike in canon, our Great Crusade lasted an additional 40 years, nearing 50. Hrud infestations were cleansed, the Eldar were pushed farther back, and a series of beacons were established to amplify the Astronomican. It honestly looked like the Great Crusade might have finished by the 300th anniversary of the Great Crusade. 

What do your space marines think of this? Eager to achieve that coveted 'Mission Accomplished', cynically believing that there will always be a war to be fought by the Legiones Astartes, already developing some hobbies to keep busy, ignoring the implications of the end of the Great Crusade, or thinking something more sinister?

Also if we go this way, I think history demands that the Star Lords and Iron Bears must hate each other with a heated rivalry between Daer'dd and Flash.

That's along the lines of why I had been thinking of an alliance of the thirteen "traitor" cohorts and some remnants of the Iron Bears as well ^^

More importantly, you're applying after I ended the open enrollment process. I will make an exception if you can find 4 patrons, 2 from your fellow applicants and 2 from the regular crew here.

I've seen Cryptix put forwards some interesting concepts in the past so I'll patronise him as well - I think he at least deserves to have a spot in the "elections", as long as he answers the questions asked of the legions and he finds a theme that is wanted in the BotL.

Next question, unlike in canon, our Great Crusade lasted an additional 40 years, nearing 50. Hrud infestations were cleansed, the Eldar were pushed farther back, and a series of beacons were established to amplify the Astronomican. It honestly looked like the Great Crusade might have finished by the 300th anniversary of the Great Crusade. 

What do your space marines think of this? Eager to achieve that coveted 'Mission Accomplished', cynically believing that there will always be a war to be fought by the Legiones Astartes, already developing some hobbies to keep busy, ignoring the implications of the end of the Great Crusade, or thinking something more sinister?

I think that the Star Lords have quite obviously been already gearing up to a different role within the Imperium, even if it is a role the Imperium doesn't really want to give them. In fact, they probably believe that they will be even more suited for this task then they were for the great crusade, as they prefer to focus more on consolidating the gains made throughout the crusade then pushing the crusade too fast, too far.

Cryptix put forth a solid base to build upon, adventure is a man's romance!
I also put forth my patronage for him.

To catch up on the questions put forth:

The Devoured would develop some fairly close ties with some of their brothers, as their missions usually has them deployed under the wing of another Legion. Their battle doctrine values independent action and a great sense of one-mindedness of a mission's completion, so theyre usually viewed as valuable allies and reliable comrades at most times. Some even view them as rivals when a mission requires some form of overlap.

Competition which The Devoured values greatly within their strictly practiced warrior culture.

As human nature is, resentment does form within the legion itself, as vies for leadership in the myriad of squads within the Legion change hands quickly and abruptly, and power struggles in these scenarios are always spectated by their Primarch.

---------------

The Devoured's stance of the matter changes not their views of the crusade. A war will always be fought, and a person's death is usually promised. So they'll move to the wishes of their Empire and their Gene-Father. Their warrior code failing to accept a war's end, their hunger in conflict growing steady (not beserker angry, more of cabin fever in a sense)

At this point, Cain's "attacks" start to escalate (many view this as deteriorating mental health, while others that know the truth mysteriously disappear).

Many view this as an opportunity to vie for power and succession within the Legion. Their sense of "Survival of the fittest" and growing egos reigning over their love of their Father. While those who have a stronger pride as a son of Cain regularly butt heads with the former and try to keep them in check.

All of them ignorant as to the plans being laid.

Edited by ckpmax1108

Eldar were pushed far back but not completely destroyed, Psykers would be constantly popping up, so someone would need to keep an eye on them, and since they had no knowledge of the Webway project (I assume) a solution would need to be found to replace warp travel.

So they would patrol the Imperium, locating and studying ancient ruins and artifacts, even ancient technology.

But ofc my primarch would be interested on acquiring a hefty amount of fulgurite for more sinister purposes as you imagine. And in the moment of triumph he would cast down the tyrant. ;)

Imagine the delicious shock. A worthy death. Chaos would ensue. How would the remaining sons deal with the Imperium? Everyone would be shocked, a future without the Emperor, a galaxy spanning civilisation cast into darkness. Now everyone would feel as he felt. Alone, abandoned, terrified. But that did not come to pass.

(I don't know if I can patronage someone, :P but if I can why not? I have seen great and different ideas around.)

Edited by Sete