Where do the Secutarii actually fit?

Magos Takatus

This is a quick question but one that's been bothering me. According to the Forge World rules for the Secutarii they are considered part of the faction Adeptus Titanicus. However, the Skitarii organisation found in the titular codex claims that the first Macroclade of a Forge World traditionally hold garrison duty for the world's Titan Legion/Ordinatus. Would the Skitarii Macroclade still be considered separate from the Secutarii even if they are assigned to the same Titan Legion?

I know it doesn't make a huge difference and you can organise your own Forge World as you like but I'd just like to know how people perceive this overlap. 

While a Macroclade of Skitarii are traditionally assigned to each Titan Legion, the Legions themselves have their own infantry forces in the form of the Secutarii. The former may be assigned to a Legion, but it's still Skitarii. The latter may be similar in form to the Skitarii, but they're a distinct arm of the Mechanicus.

The 40K faction system muddles it a bit, but the two are not synonymous.

Yeah. I'm sure the next codex and the upcoming Imperial Armour book will give us more useful information but until then we can only use the info we already have. Codex Imperialis is one of the best sources for AM background and that book is ancient now. My copy is in stasis (the cupboard) at the moment. However, as my previous threads would suggest, I like to figure out how the different parts of the Adeptus Mechanicus fit together on and off the battlefield.

We really need a more detailed look at AdMech fluff to sort this stuff out. It seems like a lot of it is half formed ideas from anywhere in the past 30 years...

It's pretty much straight from Codex: Skitarii and the Secutarii unit entry. I'm not sure what's half-formed...

We really need a more detailed look at AdMech fluff to sort this stuff out. It seems like a lot of it is half formed ideas from anywhere in the past 30 years...

It's pretty much straight from Codex: Skitarii and the Secutarii unit entry. I'm not sure what's half-formed...
The entire command hierarchy of the Adeptus Mechanicus, recruitment methods, progressing through ranks, pretty much their entire history (especially of Forge Worlds besides Mars)... Look at every other faction out there, and we have nowhere near the amount of fluff they do, and a lot of what we do have is vague.

Edit: I'm talking about the faction fluff in general, fyi.

There's a ton of fluff out there. The thing about the Mechanicus is that it appears disorganized because each Forge, to some extent each Magos, has its own traditions. It's much more feudal than the rest of the Imperium, though less-so after the Heresy.

Nothing really lines up across the entire organization, which (ironically) allows a great deal of freedom in storywriting.

There's a ton of fluff out there. The thing about the Mechanicus is that it appears disorganized because each Forge, to some extent each Magos, has its own traditions. It's much more feudal than the rest of the Imperium, though less-so after the Heresy.

Nothing really lines up across the entire organization, which (ironically) allows a great deal of freedom in storywriting.

The same is true (arguably more true based on what fluff is in the codices) for Space Marine chapters, and yet we have tons of that information. I'm not saying they should describe every extant Forge World in detail (because I'd still make up my own) but it would be nice to have more information so you can have a solid baseline to start with (and to know if you've taken some idea too far).

Archived