Black Library Advent Calendar 2016

DarkChaplain

what exactly is wrong with the perpetual lines?

i always find their little sidestories to be quite interesting/entertaining. 

Immortals/undying/Homer/Heraclus/'I would save you with a magic stick'/conspiracy yada yada  - you mean that?

Day 5:

The Calculus of Battle by David Guymer (Audio Drama)

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Images/Product/DefaultBL/xlarge/Calculus%20of%20Battle%20MP3.jpg

The beleaguered Astra Militarum defenders of Varasine fight against the alien menace of a tyranid invasion, but their only possible salvation approaches in the form of something almost equally inhuman. Warleader Kardan Stronos of the Iron Hands, long having studied the xenos threat, now brings his fearless battle-brothers to join the war - only he can save Varasine, measuring his Chapter’s infallible logic and ruthless strategy against the cost in human lives.

The Iron Hands can be among the most inhuman of Space Marines, pitting cold logic and precise calculations above the lives of those they ostensibly fight to defend… as the Astra Militarum are about to discover.

Written by David Guymer. Running time 21 minutes. Performed by John Banks, Cliff Chapman, Steve Conlin, Toby Longworth and Luis Soto.

Looking forward to this one. The first sneak peek of what Guymer's Iron Hands are going to be like, with both a Stronos novel and Ferrus Manus coming up.

Day 5:

The Calculus of Battle by David Guymer (Audio Drama)

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Images/Product/DefaultBL/xlarge/Calculus%20of%20Battle%20MP3.jpg

The beleaguered Astra Militarum defenders of Varasine fight against the alien menace of a tyranid invasion, but their only possible salvation approaches in the form of something almost equally inhuman. Warleader Kardan Stronos of the Iron Hands, long having studied the xenos threat, now brings his fearless battle-brothers to join the war - only he can save Varasine, measuring his Chapter’s infallible logic and ruthless strategy against the cost in human lives.

The Iron Hands can be among the most inhuman of Space Marines, pitting cold logic and precise calculations above the lives of those they ostensibly fight to defend… as the Astra Militarum are about to discover.

Written by David Guymer. Running time 21 minutes. Performed by John Banks, Cliff Chapman, Steve Conlin, Toby Longworth and Luis Soto.

Looking forward to this one. The first sneak peek of what Guymer's Iron Hands are going to be like, with both a Stronos novel and Ferrus Manus coming up.

Probably would be good - Last Son of Dorn was much more enjoyable in audio form too. Anyway - that's totally something of a prequel to David's future IH novel

Reviewed Perpetual earlier, but to sum it up: Stepping stone story, good acting but not so great use of the audio format. A few bits about the Iron Men and all that, but little actually happens and it mostly reassesses where Oll and co are nowadays, where they've been in the many years since Calth burned, and refreshing the memory on his plotline in general. Nothing I'd say worth jumping on as a priority because of either series or author's name.

Just finished Into Exile...absolutely loved it. Short and sweet, I love the prose and really got to know Land. It makes me excited to read MoM once I get it. The moving backwards in time was smooth and ADB made it effortless. More please?

Day 6:

Fixed by Robbie MacNiven (Blood Bowl)

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Images/Product/DefaultBL/xlarge/BLPROCESSED-Fixed%20cover.jpg

Nordland Rangers star player Greig Garr is in trouble, and living a lifestyle he can no longer afford now his glory days are over. As the team slips down the league, and his debts mount, it becomes harder and harder for him to keep his coveted position as team captain. Badly injured after a nasty run-in with a lizardman, Garr must find a way to play in the next match or he won’t be able to pay back his debts. A mysterious stranger offers to cure his leg, but what will the true cost of his amazing help be?

It's a classic sporting dilemma taken to the extremes that only Blood Bowl can provide – in a world of daemons and monsters, the cost of mysterious magical help is always going to be higher than you'd like…

Really looking forward to this one. Robbie pitched it on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/RobbieMacNiven/status/806131270333898752

: Robbie MacNiven

Matchfixing, a lizardman limb transplant, a wizard with dodgy deals and an ex-butcher apothecary; must be Blood Bowl

Matchfixing, a lizardman limb transplant, a wizard with dodgy deals and an ex-butcher apothecary; must be Blood Bowl

- biggrin.png Add to that a drunkard skaven gutter runner and minotaur afraid of pinkies and I'm sold biggrin.png

Well there is a scrap between human and goblin cheerleader teams, and a ogre who forgets to tackle because he's too busy picking his nose.

- biggrin.png Add to that a drunkard skaven gutter runner and minotaur afraid of pinkies and I'm sold biggrin.png

Well there is a scrap between human and goblin cheerleader teams, and a ogre who forgets to tackle because he's too busy picking his nose.

Ahhh, good good - still need a drunkard gutter runner biggrin.png

Day 7:

The Grey Raven by Gav Thorpe (Horus Heresy)

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Images/Product/DefaultBL/xlarge/BLPROCESSED-Grey%20Raven%20cover.jpg

Balsar Kurthuri of the Raven Guard has always followed his primarch's orders. When the Edict of Nikaea forbade psykers within the Legions, he returned to the line squads without a second thought. When the Warmaster's treachery became known, he gave freely of his powers. Now, as the war appears to be entering its final, grim stages, at Lord Corax's command he must return to Terra to face judgement for the apparent crime of unswerving loyalty…

After a shocking twist in 'Weregeld', the Raven Guard Chief Librarian returns to Terra to face judgement. Will his unerring loyalty to his primarch be punished, and if so, what does that say about the the Imperium the Sigillite is working to build?

Really want to dig into this. It is probably predictable, but I want to see what Malcador and his Knights Errant are up to this late into the Heresy - remember, this is around the time of Beta-Garmon.

EDIT: Okay, scratch that: in an effort to be less negative, I'm rephrasing my issues as questions. After all, at least one other member here (who knows a lot about the series) liked this, so maybe I -am- missing something.

1.) A test of loyalty as soon as they enter the system would make sense, before letting them in. But this isn't that, it's a test of Balsar's restraint regarding his powers. Couldn't that be done at any time, in more controlled circumstances?

2.) Noriz is killed, possibly others too. Loyal, useful space marines, killed all for the sake of this test. Surely these are completely unnecessary losses?

3.) The test seems to makes no sense anyway: they seem to be trying to kill, and if they do kill Balsar doesn't that mean he passed? They're specifically aiming to push him to the point where he visibly calls up his powers, but then stops. That's a ridiculously precise point to aim for, and will more likely result in the death of Balsar or the custodians, not to mention other marines in the crossfire.

As it stands, I really -really- didn't like this one, to put it mildly.

The whole point was putting Balsar under extreme conditions. Confusing him, cornering him, leaving him without options. It was a complete and utter stress test. Giving Balsar time to prepare or question the situation's authenticity would have ruined it.

Malcador himself regrets the loss of Noriz, but then he also didn't expect the Imperial Fists to go to bat for Balsar. Keep in mind that the Custodians always ceased firing on Imperial Fists when Kurthuri left the stage. They only targeted him effectively, shooting and attacking to disable only otherwise. Noriz basically forced Arcatus's hand the way he acted in desperate defense of Balsar. His loss was atypical.

We also know that Custodes have almost complete control of their bodies and movements. They can stop their attacks precisely, and I have no reason to believe they weren't fully in control here. We only hear about Balsar believing himself to be evading by a hair's breadth, but we never hear what the Custodes actually aimed for.

Potential losses are still nothing more but regrettable, and not up to the Custodes to judge worthy or not. Malcador is the Emperor's chosen second, and he ordered this protocol to be put into effect. His big work on Titan has been going on for a few years, and he quite clearly believes it to be worth minor losses to safeguard the future.

The whole point was putting Balsar under extreme conditions. Confusing him, cornering him, leaving him without options. It was a complete and utter stress test. Giving Balsar time to prepare or question the situation's authenticity would have ruined it.

Malcador himself regrets the loss of Noriz, but then he also didn't expect the Imperial Fists to go to bat for Balsar. Keep in mind that the Custodians always ceased firing on Imperial Fists when Kurthuri left the stage. They only targeted him effectively, shooting and attacking to disable only otherwise. Noriz basically forced Arcatus's hand the way he acted in desperate defense of Balsar. His loss was atypical.

We also know that Custodes have almost complete control of their bodies and movements. They can stop their attacks precisely, and I have no reason to believe they weren't fully in control here. We only hear about Balsar believing himself to be evading by a hair's breadth, but we never hear what the Custodes actually aimed for.

Potential losses are still nothing more but regrettable, and not up to the Custodes to judge worthy or not. Malcador is the Emperor's chosen second, and he ordered this protocol to be put into effect. His big work on Titan has been going on for a few years, and he quite clearly believes it to be worth minor losses to safeguard the future.

All the

test

thing was horrible. Stupid, unneccessary, and a total waste of resources. The worst enemy of the Sol defences is it's writers so far

What, exactly, did they really "waste"?

A few bolter rounds, personal exertion, and one life.

Malcador clearly thinks that the price is just right, if regrettable, as long as it nets him some strong-willed, loyal psykers for his Titan project. You're thinking only in the immediate terms - does it yield immediate results that benefit the defence of Terra? No, but it also didn't throw everything against a wall.

All resources that were involved were literally the ones that JUST ARRIVED UNEXPECTEDLY. The defenses work just fine without Arcatus, without the few Imperial Fists and Balsar Kurthuri. The boarding party didn't even arrive before the test ended. At worst, at the very worst, Balsar Kurthuri would have killed a few Custodes with his psychic powers and been gunned down by the rest, and the Imperial Fists also would have turned on him in that instance. At worst, the system defenses would have sunk the Wrathful Vanguard. At best, Malcador gets his new agent, no losses and the defenses get strengthened by a half-dozen returning Custodes and a few dozen Imperial Fists. Which still happens, minus Noriz.

Malcador didn't waste resources. If anything, it was an expanded test of loyalties of the returning Custodes, the Imperial Fists and Balsar, which gained him loyal soldiers too stubborn to give in to temptations, even under extreme circumstances.

And Malcador has been cemented as going for the long run. He is the man of contingencies, more so than the Emperor himself. That is nowhere more apparent than with his Inquisition and the Grey Knights founding, which he presented to the Emperor before the end.

Fair enough, everyone's entitled to their own take of course. But I still feel the same way about it: there are ways of throwing Balsar into a confusing, disorienting test of his true loyalty without wasting resources needlessly. If the custodes were sufficiently in control to not kill Balsar, that only makes killing Noriz all the worse. Even aside from that, they're still aiming for a ridiculously narrow point, where Balsar brings up his powers but then puts them away again. Until then, the custodes apparently just keep attacking.

It's also not that I don't think Malcador wouldn't condone such losses, I know he'd do so in a heartbeat if it meant he gained something useful. But he's also a smart enough character to know better. Throwing away space marine lives for a distinct gain, sure. But this isn't that. He could've done this sort of test a dozen different ways with the end result, but without risking lives that could be useful in the war effort. It's a waste because it's pointless, it's needless, and it's a bad idea for a test even aside from that because it's so very unlikely to actually yield a good result (i.e. it's much more likely to either result in the death of loyal custodes or a loyal librarian).

As it is, for me, The Grey Raven is a contender for the worst story in the series. It's in the running. It just makes Malcador and the custodes look stupid and incompetent, and feels like a very poor excuse for more "action".

Fair enough, everyone's entitled to their own take of course. But I still feel the same way about it: there are ways of throwing Balsar into a confusing, disorienting test of his true loyalty without wasting resources needlessly. If the custodes were sufficiently in control to not kill Balsar, that only makes killing Noriz all the worse. Even aside from that, they're still aiming for a ridiculously narrow point, where Balsar brings up his powers but then puts them away again. Until then, the custodes apparently just keep attacking.

It's also not that I don't think Malcador wouldn't condone such losses, I know he'd do so in a heartbeat if it meant he gained something useful. But he's also a smart enough character to know better. Throwing away space marine lives for a distinct gain, sure. But this isn't that. He could've done this sort of test a dozen different ways with the end result, but without risking lives that could be useful in the war effort. It's a waste because it's pointless, it's needless, and it's a bad idea for a test even aside from that because it's so very unlikely to actually yield a good result (i.e. it's much more likely to either result in the death of loyal custodes or a loyal librarian).

As it is, for me, The Grey Raven is a contender for the worst story in the series. It's in the running. It just makes Malcador and the custodes look stupid and incompetent, and feels like a very poor excuse for more "action".

I actually think the story implies that the Custodes were out to give him a running chance, and force him into a corner where he could either submit to his fate, meaning death-by-custodes, or use his powers to defend himself.

Keep in mind that Arcatus shows signs of regret and pity the moment Balsar summons up his powers - if him summoning them and then putting them away again was always the plan, things would have been as expected there. They weren't. Arcatus was actually disappointed that Kurthuri even attempted to use them, because that would have meant that kill protocols would have actually gone into effect.

At no point did I feel that the Custodes did seriously go for the throat. They had plenty of chances. They were tasked to make it look like it, up until breaking point, and then cease. Custodes are in full control of their own bodies and tempers, so who better than them to do that. They're also very dispassionate in general, so whether or not Arcatus had bit the dust, the rest would have fulfilled the mission immediately.

But in the end it all hinged on being an authentic danger to Kurthuri, and driving him to desperation. The problem is that the Custodian Guard didn't consider Noriz' loyalty to and friendship with their test subject, and the lengths he would go to to protect him. It honestly appeared as if Arcatus was pushed to the point where it was his life or Noriz', and acted accordingly. His survival is, in the grand scheme of it, far more valuable to the defense effort than Noriz' would have been.

And I still honestly don't see the waste of resources. Spent boltshells, slight battle damage to their armor, a cut-off eartip... The only accounted-for human loss remains Noriz, and both sides did their damndest to avoid killing anybody.

One Knight Errant is worth a whole squad (or more) of regular legionaries.

A Knight Errant with Librarian powers? If he can control himself and follow orders under pressure, he's worth many times that.

DarkChaplain seems to have a good handle on this bit of the canon. But hey, I'm not going to tell y'all what stories you should enjoy reading.

I get the intention and the worthiness of the trade, my issue was never with that, rather with the necessity of it in the first place. A good idea, but I dislike the execution (no pun intended).

But again, to each their own, I don't think we're going to be swayed either way.

So, turning to a more positive note, The Soul, Severed, loved it. Chris Wraight's Eidolon is great (and I never disliked Graham McNeill's work with him or his legion), the story wonderfully continues their descent, has some glorious turns of phrase in it, and the

audio for the sonic scream

was incredible, major kudos to whoever was responsible for that part.

I'd put this up with Khârn: The Eightfold Path and Warmaster as one of the best audio shorts.

Archived