Black Library Advent Calendar 2016

DarkChaplain

Pariah32 is fast becoming my favourite B&C member.

Come on, the rest of you!

I'd show you the picture of the 2 part read full novels next to my toilet to suggest as to why I'm not going to give into your whims. But they'd suguest bias against an author and I'm not getting into that :p

'The Eternal Crusader' has been in print for ages...?

Yeah, but in hardback! I've decided not to do those for Space Marine Battles, since they're all neatly in line on my shelf and that one wouldn't have the room for hardbacks, and I dislike mismatches (it drives me crazy that some Star Wars Canon novels aren't in proper B format, for instance; stuff needs to line up!).

I was led to believe that it'd be part of Crusaders of Dorn in paperback earlier this year, due to Amazon using the placeholder cropped cover from TEC (still does on one edition even now, actually) and it having internal art from it. I also remember Amazon actually listing it as included at some point. Imagine my disappointment when the book was a good deal thinner and didn't have that novella. Would've been preferable to have all Haley Black Templars in one book, especially after seeing Flesh Tearers out a little earlier with Flesh of Cretacia, Sons of Wrath and Trial by Blood. The contrast between the slimmest SMB novel on my shelf and that one is huge.

Oh I know that pain DarkChaplain! If it wasn't for my drive to read heresy novels I would have stopped buying them once we were told no one buys the small format paperback. Which i had everything up to angel exterminatus in. Because who buys that format.

But alas, I had to buy hardback because I have literally no idea how long it takes for that format to be released anymore and don't want to miss out on the big novels.

That's actually the complete opposite of what you were told. I've been perfectly clear on that whenever anyone has asked me.

BL will continue to do the whole series in the small "A-format" mass-market paperback, for exactly the reason you cite - even when the international book trade reps demanded the larger format instead, we insisted on doing both so that people can complete their collections.

That message has NEVER, EVER been anything different. Now hush.

Indeed! I also started the HH series in the small mass market paperback...and my OCD will not allow me to buy the larger tradepaperback or the hardback HH novels, exactly because that would mean that they do not line up on the shelf!

Of course, that also means that I am about a gazillion books behind in the HH series now, as the latest to be released in mass market paperback was "Deathfire" I believe...so Black Library ought to hurry up and release the rest, so that I can get my HH fix...

I loved that SFX cue, too! The sound designers always do a great job on stuff like that.

For all BL audio dramas, I handle the editorial process and then hand over to Matt Renshaw, our resident producer. Some of you may know him from BL Live this year - he'll be appearing again at future events, I'm sure. He's a really knowledgeable and skilled guy. He manages the freelance sound designers, and gives them specific direction on the sort of thing we need to hear for specific SFX and ATMOS.

I then approve 1st draft mixes, providing feedback on context within the IP/setting. Basically, Matt makes sure it sounds cool, and I make sure it sounds *right* for Warhammer.

Great insider info there. As production is now handled internally (opposed to Big Finish or Heavy Entertainment) what is the decision making process behind the voice actor choices for full audio dramas and straight audiobooks? The production quality really didn't dip when you moved operations internally (huge well done!) but certain actors who used to regularly voice your works have long since disappeared, i.e David Timson, Martyn Ellis, Sean Barret etc... is this due to contractual obligations with those other producers or something else?

I have a (not so secret!) secret hope that you will bring back Martyn Ellis for Crimson King and Master of Prospero... his voice is as synonymous with Magnus as Saul Reichlin's is with Vulkan and David Timson's with Fulgrim & Ferrus Manus happy.png

Did that with sigilite. Don't think I'm falling for those shenanigans again!

That was, what, four years ago? We've gone through two more professional production studios since then...

(and the fact that Big Finish didn't FINISH the production on 'The Sigillite' didn't help that audio drama. Great story, disappointing mix.)

The Sigillite is still among my most listened to audio's from BL. I just recently bought the CD having only had the MP3 for far too long and i still get the willies each time Malcador approaches the gates leading to the war raging beneath the palace of Terra. Such a shame to hear there were issues in production with this one!

It's a fantastic story - that's definitely my favourite part too.

I'm considering doing some video blogs in the New Year to talk about writing tips, audio stuff and lots more besides. Quite a few of your questions there are ones that I've considered answering - I assume you'd approve?  :)

I'm considering doing some video blogs in the New Year to talk about writing tips, audio stuff and lots more besides. Quite a few of your questions there are ones that I've considered answering - I assume you'd approve? smile.png

That would be an affirmative captain! Roll on the new year!

I'm considering doing some video blogs in the New Year to talk about writing tips, audio stuff and lots more besides. Quite a few of your questions there are ones that I've considered answering - I assume you'd approve? smile.png

YES! HELL YES!

http://puu.sh/sUIGD/a1cf7abc41.jpg

Exocytosis

Granted asylum by his old friend Luther of Caliban, First Captain Typhon of the Death Guard takes time away from the war... to find that a new corruption is spreading on Zaramund.

It's another step towards what we all know is coming for the Death Guard and Captain Typhon. Is it time that he embraced his destiny as a pawn of the Plague Lord?

Having long been hounded across the galaxy by the Dark Angels, First Captain Typhon of the Death Guard has limped his fleet to sanctuary in Segmentum Obscurus - as a guest of the separatist Luther of Caliban, no less. On the world of Zaramund, long a symbol of brotherhood amongst the Legions, Typhon begins to suspect that a new form of corruption has followed him out of the wider war. Will he embrace it, or escape into the darkness once more?

A bit bummed that Swallow's the one handling this, and it seems to increase the likelihood of him doing the Death Guard novel after all. After Fear to Tread I wish he'd stick to shorter stories, be they audio (which he usually nails), shorts or novellas. Hopefully he can follow in Gav's footsteps as far as the Luther / Typhon subplot goes and keep going what efforts Chris put in to make Mortarion a good character.

A bit bummed that Swallow's the one handling this, and it seems to increase the likelihood of him doing the Death Guard novel after all. After Fear to Tread I wish he'd stick to shorter stories, be they audio (which he usually nails), shorts or novellas. Hopefully he can follow in Gav's footsteps as far as the Luther / Typhon subplot goes and keep going what efforts Chris put in to make Mortarion a good character.

And here we have a Luther-Typhon tea party, exactly as I expected dry.png

And here we have a Luther-Typhon tea party, exactly as I expected dry.png

You may be a little surprised at what actually takes place...

New rule for everyone on the internet - you can only complain about a story if you've actually bought and read/listened to it.

Online synopses don't count. And basing your opinions on a blurb that I spent roughly 30 seconds putting together is hardly a good way to get informed about the author's ACTUAL work.

Online synopses don't count. And basing your opinions on a blurb that I spent roughly 30 seconds putting together is hardly a good way to get informed about the author's ACTUAL work.

If the community applied this to the mainstream narrative releases like War Zone Fenris there would be literally no discussion on the internet. I thought the web was meant to help with communication, not create a mad tangle of total misinformation... 

If the community applied this to the mainstream narrative releases like War Zone Fenris there would be literally no discussion on the internet. I thought the web was meant to help with communication, not create a mad tangle of total misinformation...

The internet has started actual revolutions and wars now. 40k gets off pretty easily.

Archived