Fabius Bile: Primogenitor

Sandlemad

I really can't stress enough how good the audiodrama Repairer of Ruin is as a companion to this book. It's set before Talon of Horus and covers Bile's raid on the Sons of Horus to steal the primarch's corpse. It doesn't add any shocking reveals or anything but the production is amazing. Squelches, gibbering vat-born mutants, all the sounds of Bile's horrors.

And Bile's voice-actor himself is incredible. All the swings between being cultured and feverishly insane, all the weird paternal affection ("come along, greedy guts!"), it's amplified a hundredfold by the mad-scientist performance. Genuinely the best BL audiodrama I've encountered. I listened to it before reading this and I really felt the benefit.

Based on the rave reviews offered here, and on account of my nigh total ignorance about Mr. Bile, I have ordered the Limited Edition book, which should have been dispatched to me today...I am well looking forward to it!

Well done - we have done our job well :)

I've just finished this- I was enjoying it so much I rationed the last half, reading only a couple of chapters at a time.

Is there another BL book with people visiting Eldar on a (chaos?) planet to get hold of something, and it goes a bit wrong? That section felt really familiar...

Finished this the other day and I must say its a great story. Loved Josh's depictions of the Emperors children and his character building was second to none.

I am very excited to see if we get more Fabius novels in the future.

I declare Fabius and Path of Heaven the best novels of 2016

• 2 weeks later...

OK, listening to the audio for this and so far it's pretty great.

Did anyone else catch the really oddball WFB reference in Mordrek (I might have the book spelling off)? Pretty sure it's a pretty direct homage to a forgotten special character from the 4th edition Chaos army book, and it's amazing. Even his horse is there.

OK, listening to the audio for this and so far it's pretty great.

Did anyone else catch the really oddball WFB reference in Mordrek (I might have the book spelling off)? Pretty sure it's a pretty direct homage to a forgotten special character from the 4th edition Chaos army book, and it's amazing. Even his horse is there.

Because it was. And Joshua being the one, who finally slain Mordrek in WFB so no surprises where biggrin.png But his description by Fabius was hilarious

Repairer of Ruin by Josh Reynolds is a stepping stone to it, which ties into The Talon of Horus. If you've read the latter, you'll get more out of this one I'd say. Likewise, whatever you've seen of Fabius during the HH series will help too.

But in general, no, you can go into it fresh. It just helps to have the references and contrast between works.

Repairer of Ruin by Josh Reynolds is a stepping stone to it, which ties into The Talon of Horus. If you've read the latter, you'll get more out of this one I'd say. Likewise, whatever you've seen of Fabius during the HH series will help too.

But in general, no, you can go into it fresh. It just helps to have the references and contrast between works.

'Prodigal' short from Advent Calendar would be good to read, cause it goes  directly before 'Fabius'.

Plus you need to have a LE version cause it contain an amazing story 'The Howling ship' which is a direct prequel to Fabius:Primogenitor. 

You don't "Need" to read either of them. Prodigal worked just fine afterwards, as it was released later, and since I don't have the limited edition, I can't comment on The Howling Ship. I'd like to read it, but since it certainly didn't prevent me from enjoying the novel, I'd say that prequel or not, it isn't mandatory at all.

You don't "Need" to read either of them. Prodigal worked just fine afterwards, as it was released later, and since I don't have the limited edition, I can't comment on The Howling Ship. I'd like to read it, but since it certainly didn't prevent me from enjoying the novel, I'd say that prequel or not, it isn't mandatory at all.

In case of 'need' - you do not 'need' to. But they gave an amazing appetiser for the main story. They show you the length of the way Fabius will follow. And 'why' he will follow it.

Archived