Fabius Bile: Primogenitor

Sandlemad

I've just started reading this book.

The sentences are created with words worthy of the word God. I'm looking forward to seeing how the story progresses.

Tis Godlike indeed - I haven't seen anyone yest, who hasn't liked that novel. It is definitely one of the best 3 books from BL in 2016

Just ran into this little titbit.

The Radiant appeared to know that the tyranids and necrons were coming...

The skeins of the immaterium draw tight, Fabius. Something has begun, in the depths of the universe. I have seen it in my dreams... a hunger unlike any other stretches towards us out of black seas of infinity, and the dead stir on a thousand worlds'

Quite cool. Didn't think they knew about those threats yet.

Also nice to see Fabius wants Mankind to survive (albeit in an altered transhuman state)

Just ran into this little titbit.

The Radiant appeared to know that the tyranids and necrons were coming...

The skeins of the immaterium draw tight, Fabius. Something has begun, in the depths of the universe. I have seen it in my dreams... a hunger unlike any other stretches towards us out of black seas of infinity, and the dead stir on a thousand worlds'

Quite cool. Didn't think they knew about those threats yet.

Also nice to see Fabius wants Mankind to survive (albeit in an altered transhuman state)

Because Fabius is a true crusader and idealist - as Josh Reynolds mentioned in his afterword

• 2 weeks later...

Finished it this evening.

Good gravy, what a book. It's got a great mix of conviction, whimsy, dedication, desperation, despair, desire... lots of ds, as it turns out. It's also terribly creative, and terribly in-keeping with the best of vintage Chaos... not quite plausible, but also silly in a very not-that-silly way? Does that make sense? Whimsy that's not contentless or vacuous.

It's really rather good.

Moreover, there's a huge deal of themes dealt with both in passing and in depth. A lot of it is brought into stark focus in the closing chapters (and I did have serious doubts as to where it was going, a sort of will-they/won't-they, but wondering more if Josh'd manage to wrestle the fine line he was walking into submission. [spoiler: he managed it better than I wrangle metaphors.]) and it kept me increasingly hooked right to the very end.

---

It's an overwhelmingly enjoyable book, I think. Indeed, I'm not sure there's any aspect to it that I could pick out and say 'I didn't like that' or 'I wish that had went slightly differently' - all of it fit, and all of it felt nicely measured for what was being done. It's shockingly easy reading too, which was a massive annoyance as the limited edition is itself not good for easy reading! Bloody nuisance, more than anything.

Well, a gorgeous bloody nuisance...

Has Fabius always

cloned his body and had to do a brain transplant to stop from falling to pieces?

Not always (that I recall), but I think it was the short Chirurgeon that revealed that he was the last surviving EC who suffered from the Blight, and therein it looked like he'd have to resort to ever more insane plots to survive, as he couldn't cure himself.

It's wonderfully logical though, no?

Has Fabius always

cloned his body and had to do a brain transplant to stop from falling to pieces?

Not always (that I recall), but I think it was the short Chirurgeon that revealed that he was the last surviving EC who suffered from the Blight, and therein it looked like he'd have to resort to ever more insane plots to survive, as he couldn't cure himself.

It's wonderfully logical though, no?

The whole clones thing has been around since he appeared in Swallow's Blood Angels novels, any earlier mention?

It would be a beautiful moment if Fabius realised the only way to cure himself was to still be in his original body. Lol

Actually he is far above and beyond that. As an idealist and true crusader he strife to achieve his goal - which for him seems the only real goal humanity should achieve.

He does understand that in his lifetime he wouldn't be able to achieve that. So cloning - is the only way he can see the embers will burn anew.

And as everyone mentioned so far and I'm totally with you - Josh Reynolds has created a masterpiece! thanks.gif

Bought it. Reading it. Good so far!

I had actually just finished a re-read of Talon of Horus which Fabius Bile appears in. Keen to see if there is any linkages or references to that interaction with Abaddon!

Yes, there are a few. Nothing much, but it is mentioned a few times.

It's literally one of the best 40k books ever.

On that I totally agree. 

Bought it. Reading it. Good so far!

I had actually just finished a re-read of Talon of Horus which Fabius Bile appears in. Keen to see if there is any linkages or references to that interaction with Abaddon!

Yes, there are a few. Nothing much, but it is mentioned a few times.

I do like how he called Abaddon a uncivilized degenerate ;)

Archived