Painting Raven Guard

Biscuittzz

Hey,

I've recently started collecting RG, mostly 30k, but I guess this is still valid in here.

I'm looking to finally begin painting them, but I'm basically a beginner. I was going to post in the painting/modelling forum but I felt I'd get better advice here from fellow Ravens.

What would the basic colours and shades etc be for starting with? Advice on what brand to go for would also be welcome. I've seen the majority say it's a toss up between Citadel and Vallejo though I'm not to fussed about using others. I'd very much appreciate a list of what the standard stuff to use as I'm a bit lost at the moment. 

Guess I should finish by saying that I'm more interested in a pure black armour/layer as I don't really like the 'dark grey' shaded painting schemes that I've come across bar very few. Pure black with a grey/blue/purple highlight is what I actually really like. The RG showcase on Den of Imagination awhile back had something of this sort that caught my eye.

Once again thanks for any advice.

Welcome to the Ravenspire ... ?

For my part, I use P3 Thamar Black and Menoth White (from memory).  The white gets Vallejo Model Color Pale Grey in the corners and lines.

Other than fiddly-bits like eye lenses and stuff, that's all I use.  I don't shade or layer because I am going for fast completion and table-top quality.  I let the lighting of the store handle shades.  Admittedly, the completion rate is not so fast because I can only paint about 10 hours a week, at most.

^_^

I use the citadel range. Dawnstone is amazing for edge highlighting black. The colors I use are Abbadon Black, Mechanicus Standard Grey, Dawnstone, Celestra Grey, Ulthuan Grey, White Scar, Administratum Grey, leadbelcher, rune fang steel, nuln oil, and Eshin Grey.

I use the citadel range. Dawnstone is amazing for edge highlighting black. The colors I use are Abbadon Black, Mechanicus Standard Grey, Dawnstone, Celestra Grey, Ulthuan Grey, White Scar, Administratum Grey, leadbelcher, rune fang steel, nuln oil, and Eshin Grey.

That is what I use also.   Edge highlight the black with Eshin Grey then Dawnstone and final extreme highlight with celestia grey.   Leadbelsher on base metalic, then null oil  for wash plus Iron breaker. Rune fang steel for highlight. For gold parts its Balthazar gold then agrax earthshade wash and hashut copper with gehenna's gold for highlight. I use Celestia grey on base coat for the white if you primed your models black then Ceramite white.  Pretty standard  method.  The citadel paint are fine, their brush is real bull:cuss. Get some good ones you wont regret it and they will last for years. 

Oh and if you don't already have one. Wet palette !  it makes painting smoother and save alot of paint :)

I only have a pure black base and then go for a different direction from there.

Having said that I like the citadel line of paints.

If you want some good tips on painting plain black armour. GW released a how to video a few weeks back on how to paint Deathwatch models black. Probably worth looking at that for ideas.

Welcome to the Ravenspire ... ?

For my part, I use P3 Thamar Black and Menoth White (from memory). The white gets Vallejo Model Color Pale Grey in the corners and lines.

Other than fiddly-bits like eye lenses and stuff, that's all I use. I don't shade or layer because I am going for fast completion and table-top quality. I let the lighting of the store handle shades. Admittedly, the completion rate is not so fast because I can only paint about 10 hours a week, at most.

happy.png

I don't think I ever introduced myself formally, kept to the shadows msn-wink.gif . I've been posting all over the site for awhile now, mostly in the 30k and Black Library subs, you'll find me arguing in the BL sub forum most days of the week laugh.png.

Thanks for the tips. At the moment I won't even get 10 hours a week to paint, maybe only half that. So my completion won't even match your's happy.png.

Thank you to everyone else so far who has posted some advice. It's all helping. I'm sure I'll get some test models done up over the Xmas break to give everyone a laugh.

Archived