How to re-use your Servo Skulls?

Jolemai

Simply premise; how are we going to reuse our (converted or otherwise) Servo Skull models?

I actually have two. The first is the CAT from Space Hulk which can easily double up as a Locator Beacon/Teleport Homer elsewhere. The second was the skull from one of the GK kits that I placed on an anti-grav base. I guess I just add this on to a random model at some point?

What's everyone else doing with theirs?

Some sources? The Facebook page? The email dudes? It will be a previous version so it's outdated no matter the twist you want to give it.

Then I'm going to pick up my BT codex, pick the stuff I like from it and the new 7th edition codex and play...

It just does not work that way.

I dunno if it's old age catching up but everything I write seems cynical. Not my intention.

Well in my opinion I rather have cheaper Acolytes than servo skulls. Unfortunately scout and infiltrating army will have an advantage that you can't really block :/

Apparently whoever answers emails for Black Library has told people who asked that the digital codex remains valid, and that CIA is a compilation. Check the "What I'd like to see" thread for the exact details of our brother who corresponded with them.

The reason I give this credence is that, unlike your BT codex, the Inquisition codex is still for sale. It seems to me, that if GW is still selling it, it's a current/useable codex.

Therefore, getting back to Jolemai's question I'd answer:

(1) Keep using the digital codex and your servo skulls as servo skulls

(2) As suggested by WarriorFish, wound counters is what I used my servo skulls for back in the day (3rd edition). For three-wound characters, I'd have two skulls hovering nearby and remove one each time the model suffered a wound.

EDIT: Here's the link to Epimetheus' post with the response from Black Library: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/327797-inquisition-codex-what-i-would-like-to-see/?p=4592804 Make of it what you will but I return to if GW still sells it, it's official and can be used.

Sete, you really need to dial it back. Your constant negativity and snarkiness in recent posts is not helpful.

It seems that the point of this release was always as a compilation so that people don't have to buy nine different codices if they want to use that stuff. That seems like actually a pretty cool thing for GW to do, yet people are still all up in arms. Some days it feels like people just WANT to be pissed off at GW and GW is damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Just cancel your pre-order and then no money wasted if you already have the codices you need and aren't interested in any of the new detachments or formations.

It's great as a compilation I'm not saying that it isn't, but then why bother change the rules, remove options and chars and change point values?

It makes no sense for me.

Just leave everything as it was then.

I'm not going to bother myself with this anymore and just roll with it then.

Talking about servo skulls, what about the FW Inquisitor, Solomon Lok? He has a Skull as part of his special gear. So you can use the new codex with him?

Can we actually use them (Lok and Rex) with the new Agents codex?

It's an easy way to get a 2+ on the Inquisitor, and some fancy rules aswell.

I don't see any reason why we wouldn't be able to use either Lok or Rex since they have their own Forgeworld "dataslates" separate and apart from either codex ... I believe? I can't find it available for download on Forgeworld's site but I guess if you have the Vraks' books or downloaded it before you should be good. The currency of Forgeworld stuff is a bit murkier than GW.

My initial thought was to add weapons to them and call them servitors but then those went away too, at least in henchman bands. Now I'll probably use at least one as a stand in for a watcher/relic of the unforgiven, and I'll look around my various codices to see what else can use a familiar type thing. Maybe add a laspistol to one and call it a mystic since they helped with deep striking before.

EDIT: Someone in Skarn's thread in amicus has the idea that because of their size you can put sniper weapons on them and call them ratlings. I think this is brilliant as skulls are known to skitter away or self destruct if someone looks at them funny, they're highly mobile, and I have a natural aversion to abhumans. Must be the Dark Angel in me.

I don't see any reason why we wouldn't be able to use either Lok or Rex since they have their own Forgeworld "dataslates" separate and apart from either codex ... I believe? I can't find it available for download on Forgeworld's site but I guess if you have the Vraks' books or downloaded it before you should be good. The currency of Forgeworld stuff is a bit murkier than GW.

I'm not to sure about their usage in C:IA, since their entries say that they can be taken as HQ choices in C:I. Hopefully Forgeworld will put out an errata saying that they can be taken as a HQ choice in either codex (plus the inquisition formation in C:IA)

Some sources? The Facebook page? The email dudes? It will be a previous version so it's outdated no matter the twist you want to give it.

Then I'm going to pick up my BT codex, pick the stuff I like from it and the new 7th edition codex and play...

It just does not work that way.

I dunno if it's old age catching up but everything I write seems cynical. Not my intention.

To be fair, I agree with you. Apparently GW does, too, the first dozen replies on their Facebook page from the staff were 'both 6th edition books are now obsolete' until the amount of people angry with badly written parts of C:IA made them backpedal and say 'use what you like', which sounds like suspiciously specific wording that is both truism and doesn't include statement saying 'old book is still legal'...

I've been checking and I can A ) Still download a copy of my Codex: Inquisition, B ) it's still for sale at www.blacklibrary.com and C ) the rules have not changed thus far.  So it seems to be as legit as people who are using Codex: Grey Knights, Codex: Deathwatch and Codex: Imperial Agents.

I fail to see the problem ;)

That being said, I've always put my servo-skulls on 25mm rounds, since way back when a familiar was a valid retinue type, which turned into a servo-skull, which I plan on using as either an Acolyte, or a servo-skull depending on which book I'm using at the time.  Easy peasy that way.

I've been checking and I can A ) Still download a copy of my Codex: Inquisition, B ) it's still for sale at www.blacklibrary.com and C ) the rules have not changed thus far.  So it seems to be as legit as people who are using Codex: Grey Knights, Codex: Deathwatch and Codex: Imperial Agents.

Well, it is *kinda* legit, for now at least, but I tried to play Inquisition from it before and the amount of stuff broken due to 6th/7th edition transition forced me to put them on the shelf. C:IA may be gimped by lack of skulls and 'someone was bored writing these' warbands, but at least you have access to proper psychic powers and some point cuts now...

We did before.  Anyone who actually ordered the legitimate codex saw it was updated with the edition change.  The problem is most people used illegal copies which didn't get the update ;)  They didn't make a big deal of the transition, but really all it did was affect the psychic powers and those were changed in the digital copy.  If you bought it, just redownload it.

We did before. Anyone who actually ordered the legitimate codex saw it was updated with the edition change. The problem is most people used illegal copies which didn't get the update msn-wink.gif They didn't make a big deal of the transition, but really all it did was affect the psychic powers and those were changed in the digital copy. If you bought it, just redownload it.

^ This.

I have zero sympathy for people using pirated/illegal copies.

Archived